“A Very Nice Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Forest City, Iowa
“A Very Nice Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We checked into the Emerald Necklace on a Friday afternoon. We were greeted by the owner and she actually gave my wife two warm hugs as a welcome. The property is very well kept and very clean. Now it is certainly not a new property so expect a few small items a bit worn. As some others have said the carpets do have a couple remnants of a stain here or there but they are clean. And if this were my property I would add a flat screen TV in each room at least 37" in size. Those are the only negatives in my opinion. The rooms we had were both clean and very comfortable. The soaking tubs are great. We had a nice evenings rest and the tea selection here is very good.

Breakfast was the high point of our trip. We were presented with a tea menu and our children had pancakes with sausage. I had quiche and it was awesome. Served in a very elegant manner. This was our first trip to The Emerald Necklace but will not be our last. Thanks for a wonderful evening away from home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for two nights, and we would definitely return. The rooms were spacious and filled with lovely antiques, the beds extremely comfortable, the owner gracious, and her assistant completely charming. The B & B is in a building built around 1900, I think, and so the rooms work around that: there are no closets but instead there are hooks and hangars on the door (and a large dresser); in two of the rooms, the bathrooms contain only the toilet and the sink and the bath or bath/shower are in the bedroom, in the corner or behind a curtain. It all works. Two of the rooms have large, private decks (though only one actually overlooks the "valley" (as the huge Cleveland metro park system is called); the other overlooks a private house with trees along the property; and the third has no deck at all. But, both decks are private and have plenty of space, a great place for enjoying a glass of wine and conversation with friends. The Inn is close to the road, but it was nonetheless quiet, even in the front room. I am sensitive to noise, I slept like a baby.
The rooms were clean (yes, there are a few stray spots on the carpet, in the well-loved way, not the "OMG, don't they ever clean" way). Tea, coffee, cocoa are all available 24/7; there is a small common fridge on the second floor where you can store your own wine, beer, small items. The breakfast was quite good: blueberry pancakes one AM, a veggie omelette the next. You can skip the breakfast if you want and get a lower rate.
The B & B is right next to one of the entrances to the valley which has an incredible dedicated bike path, plus other outdoor activities (golf and horse back riding among them). It is 10 minutes to the airport and 20 minutes to downtown.
I go to Cleveland regularly to visit family; the other hotels on the west side are generic and close to nothing of interest. This is a very good place to stay on that side of town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sedona, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

This Bed and Breakfast was amazing. The Inn keeper was delightful and attentive to all of our needs. The tea selection was out of this world. It was an amazing place to spend a weekend trip away from the kids... It was very private and felt like we had the whole place to our self. Definitely a place you shouldn't miss!! Thanks so much!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We chose this B&B because of its positive reeviews. Unfortunately it did not live up to what we had read. While the service was fine and breakfast was good, we found that the rooms were not cleean.d The carpet was badly stained, the furniture was dusty and cob webs were prevalent. We wouldn't stay at this in again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

I had a splendid stay at the Emerald Necklace! The owner Gloria was friendly and upbeat, and has made a gracious and welcoming establishment that is conveniently located and provides a delicious home-cooked breakfast. Why stay at an impersonal hotel when you can stay at a historic inn that also offers delicious teas and soaking tubs!

• Stayed April 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

This place is unique in that is also operates as a tea house. The staff was very helpful and friendly. THe rooms were more than comfortable and the food was great. My wife and I always choose to stay at B&B's and this one did not disappoint. THe price is compatible with a good hotel and the service, room, bed and food are WAY better.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Lakewood, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

In late August, Early Septemer I booked a room for Dec. 24 and 25 and an additional room for Dec. 25 and by the time I was done talking with the owner we agreed on many pampering opportunities for about 8 people all together, along with a wonderfully sounding Christmas dinner, and of course breakfast. So she knew this was a Christmas present for many in my family. I wanted this to be a complete surprise to my husband so I told the inkeeper I would like to pay in cash, in installments. The final bill was somewhere around $1,000, (which was fine with everything I had ordered) and I was about 3/4 paid in full, and had previously set up a payment schedule with her so she would know when to expect payments. Around the week after Thanksgiving, she called me, very apologetic, offering all moneys back because one of her helpers overbooked and a party taking up all three rooms for 11 days was now booked over us. How does that happen? Before the call to me she booked rooms for us at the Marriott, fairly close by and then said everything else would stay in place, but that the helper had also quit so she was down a person for the pedicures/manicures, but would make it work and I think give us our Christmas dinner as complimentary. I called her back and asked if she could move the other party to the Marriott, but because it was an 11 day stay, she could not, was not going to do that, (whatever she exactly said) again very apologetic. So, at that moment my ENTIRE Chrimas surprise for my ENTIRE family was now moved, and now we would have to go back and forth to/from hotel to B&B, because we were pushed out of a booking that I had started paying for months ago, and was certainly paid up for the rooms, and more. But it didn't matter, mistake on an employee's part or not, my reservation should have been kept. All I can really figure is that I got in the way of an 11 day stay. I don't think I'll ever go back, couldn't trust that something like this wouldn't happen again, and CERTAINLY wouldn't refer anyone I know to this B&B I can't trust that they wouldn't be booked over and moved if something better came along. That's just how I feel. I have gotten all my money back and a gift card for a free room and other amenities, but as said, probably won't use them. I've been looking at this B&B for years, because I live close, wanting to stay there for a get away weekend. I guess it just isn't in the cards.

Room Tip: I would not book at this B&B, you can't trust that you won't get overbooked for a bigger...