“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Ontario
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We chose this B&B because of its positive reeviews. Unfortunately it did not live up to what we had read. While the service was fine and breakfast was good, we found that the rooms were not cleean.d The carpet was badly stained, the furniture was dusty and cob webs were prevalent. We wouldn't stay at this in again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

I had a splendid stay at the Emerald Necklace! The owner Gloria was friendly and upbeat, and has made a gracious and welcoming establishment that is conveniently located and provides a delicious home-cooked breakfast. Why stay at an impersonal hotel when you can stay at a historic inn that also offers delicious teas and soaking tubs!

• Stayed April 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

This place is unique in that is also operates as a tea house. The staff was very helpful and friendly. THe rooms were more than comfortable and the food was great. My wife and I always choose to stay at B&B's and this one did not disappoint. THe price is compatible with a good hotel and the service, room, bed and food are WAY better.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Lakewood, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

In late August, Early Septemer I booked a room for Dec. 24 and 25 and an additional room for Dec. 25 and by the time I was done talking with the owner we agreed on many pampering opportunities for about 8 people all together, along with a wonderfully sounding Christmas dinner, and of course breakfast. So she knew this was a Christmas present for many in my family. I wanted this to be a complete surprise to my husband so I told the inkeeper I would like to pay in cash, in installments. The final bill was somewhere around $1,000, (which was fine with everything I had ordered) and I was about 3/4 paid in full, and had previously set up a payment schedule with her so she would know when to expect payments. Around the week after Thanksgiving, she called me, very apologetic, offering all moneys back because one of her helpers overbooked and a party taking up all three rooms for 11 days was now booked over us. How does that happen? Before the call to me she booked rooms for us at the Marriott, fairly close by and then said everything else would stay in place, but that the helper had also quit so she was down a person for the pedicures/manicures, but would make it work and I think give us our Christmas dinner as complimentary. I called her back and asked if she could move the other party to the Marriott, but because it was an 11 day stay, she could not, was not going to do that, (whatever she exactly said) again very apologetic. So, at that moment my ENTIRE Chrimas surprise for my ENTIRE family was now moved, and now we would have to go back and forth to/from hotel to B&B, because we were pushed out of a booking that I had started paying for months ago, and was certainly paid up for the rooms, and more. But it didn't matter, mistake on an employee's part or not, my reservation should have been kept. All I can really figure is that I got in the way of an 11 day stay. I don't think I'll ever go back, couldn't trust that something like this wouldn't happen again, and CERTAINLY wouldn't refer anyone I know to this B&B I can't trust that they wouldn't be booked over and moved if something better came along. That's just how I feel. I have gotten all my money back and a gift card for a free room and other amenities, but as said, probably won't use them. I've been looking at this B&B for years, because I live close, wanting to stay there for a get away weekend. I guess it just isn't in the cards.

Room Tip: I would not book at this B&B, you can't trust that you won't get overbooked for a bigger...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Mateo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I made the mistake of calling to book a reservation there before I read the reviews. I gave them my credit card number on the phone to hold the reservation not knowing about their outrageous cancellation policy. They did not inform me of this over the phone and I immediately cancelled upon learning of this policy, several weeks before my planned stay. I have been fighting with them ever since to reverse the two fraudulent charges they have attempted to make to my credit card. Pay attention to the negative ratings. They will make unauthorized charges to your credit card once they get the number.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Mason, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed here for the second time recently. The service was good, the room was nice and the tea was excellent (bought some in the adjacent store to take home). Our only significant complaint is that the quality of the breakfast could be upgraded. Positives: the tea, fresh fruit and jam were good. Negatives: The quiche, the slice of ham and the coffee were each less than stellar.

One other concern worth mentioning: The Inn is on a moderately busy thoroughfare; if peace and quiet is a must you may want to avoid the Gilles Suite that faces the road.

Sorry about the couple of bad experiences written about here. All I can say is that we would return to the Emerald Necklace.

Room Tip: The Gilles is the largest of the three rooms, but it faces a fairly busy street.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Petaluma, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

We were going to stay here for 5 days, and the lady seemed very nice on the phone. We were coming in town for my dad's operation. The date of his operation was postponed, so we needed to cancel the date we were coming in town. This was done more than 48 in advance of our scheduled arrival. We were charged for the entire 5 days!...and at an even higher rate than we were quoted on the phone. I definitely would not recommend staying here!!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
emeraldn, Owner at Emerald Necklace Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Our cancellation policies are written on all our literature and website and specifically state: All cancellations must be made at least seven days prior to your reservation date for rooms or private parties or you forfeit your reservation costs. In the event of a cancellation within the appropriate time frame, a gift certificate will be issued good for six months on any Emerald Necklace Inn & Tea Salon services.

Been to Emerald Necklace Inn? Share your experiences!