“Nice hotel but limited access to any attractions, in the Hospital District” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Garland, Texas
“Nice hotel but limited access to any attractions, in the Hospital District”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This hotel while very nice, is located in the Hospital district and isn't really close to any kind of activities. We used it while visiting Cleveland Institute of Music. Hotel is very clean and well managed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Catman3404

Many thanks for your 4-star review of our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. I am happy that you found our hotel to be very nice, clean and well-managed.

I am disheartened though that you were not able to take advantage of some of the fun things to do in the area. We are located just down the street from University Circle, home of several cultural, educational, social and religious organizations. Along with the Cleveland Institute of Music, attractions include the Cleveland Museum of Art and Severance Hall, (home of the Cleveland Orchestra) among others. There are also various dining and shopping areas within close proximity including Little Italy and Legacy Village respectively. In addition, our hotel is just an 8-10 minute drive from the heart of Downtown, Cleveland which carries attractions such as the Horseshoe Casino, the Progressive Field and Playhouse Square. Our concierge is also very good about setting up excursions and tours of our great city and so in the future please do not hesitate to take advantage of this service.

We hope to see you again soon, where we will have the opportunity to show you a little more of the City and provide you with an even more memorable experience.

274 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have stayed at the Intercontinental Suites Hotel multiple times over the last year. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. The staff is very friendly and remembers us. Everyone is very helpful. the restaurant is good and the accomodations great.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear KFCincy26,

Many thanks for being a loyal IHG guest. We value and appreciate you. I am happy that we have consistently been able to provide you with a wonderful stay each time you visit and we look forward to creating more remarkable experiences for you.

I will be sure to share your positive comments with all our staff as a reminder of the great product that we provide. Again, thank you for your loyalty to our brand and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was recently a guest at this hotel and I must it was one of the most horrible experiences!! As an employee of IHG I expected to be treated better, and when I called to speak with the Front Office Manager, she was very unhelpful and rationalized the behavior of her staff. Front the onset of my stay things went awry, parking was not clearly defined and we were told they was only one parking option and that as to valet, but later we found out that there was additional parking available near the hotel. When I mentioned this to the Front Office Manger her only reply was that the parking charge was on her the hotel's website. I then tried to address the unfriendliness of the staff and was told that she would speak with them and again offered an apology. Not once did she accept accountability for the staff or herself. Instead she tried to scapegoat the issue by addressing an issue that was totally irrelevant to the nature of my call. When I informed her that I was prepared to list my complaints her exact comment to me was "it seems like you are trying to threaten me to get something, so you can just go on and do the survey." How professional is that...? I replied to this comment by stating that I see exactly why your stay is the way they are because they take leadership from you. I have been working in this industry for 17 years, and I HAVE NEVER COMPLAINED or felt the need to post any comments about my stay, but given the way I was treated and the fabricated reasons her agent(Sharika) gave for my being upset, I felt that I was imperative that I speak up now. I would not recommend this property to anyone to stay, and I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Christopher T,

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed that this was your experience. We strive in levels of communication and try to be as upfront and clear about all issues including those of costs and alternatives with our guests. As such, I apologize that this was your experience as this is not our standard of service.

Best Regards,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

It's the small things that make or break my impression of a product or service.

For example, the bloody bandaid left in my bathroom. Or the two kiosk PCs that would not print, and the front desk person who offered to charge me to print them behind the desk. Or the restaurant that had no one at the host station to seat us and then gave us attitude because we wandered in unescorted. Or the unclean health club with a broken water bubbler, and towels and water bottles laying all over the place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear JoeRitson,

I am grateful that you have taken the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I do agree that it is the small things that truly make a difference in one’s experience. As such, I am deeply apologetic that certain details of your stay did not meet your expectations and we would have loved the opportunity to resolve these issues for you right away.

On future visits, please do not hesitate to reach out to our front desk or any member of staff with any issues you may experience so that we may take care of things for you. Again, I apologize that your stay was less than pleasant and I hope we will have the opportunity to provide you with a more polished stay the next time you come to Cleveland.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I was here for 2 nights for business and I found most of the service to be extremely poor.

I tried asking the front desk for help regarding the Clinic campus and how best to get to a meeting I had at the cancer center. She couldn't help me and wasn't willing to try, and wouldn't touch the campus/shuttle map. Now, at all other hotels, the front desk staff assist with the local area map. She said I would have to take the shuttle and be in the lobby 45 minutes before I wanted to arrive...ok, I took the map up to my room, got out the reading glasses and realized that the cancer clinic is across the street...I could literally spit and hit it. Now, I am not a cancer patient but I work with them, and to tell them to come to the lobby 45 minutes in advance to sit around and wait can be completely exhausting for them and rather cruel and unusual punishment.

I ordered room service, using the menu on the TV since there was no hardcopy in the room. Tried to order the short ribs, but it was no longer on the menu - the electronic version of the menu is not current. Ok, took the hamburger and I was asked how I would like it cooked. I said well done, no pink. It arrived within the promised timeframe but the burger was essentially raw with maybe 2 mm of cooked (grey) meat around the edges. I didn't dare eat it. Now, I ordered late, was jetlagged and had to leave at 5 am, so I just left it and didn't take the battle, but it was disgusting.

I needed a copy of my invoice after I returned home. I called the front desk before 9 am and was told quite curtly that accounts receivable did not open until 9 am. She hung up as I said something about calling back later... I called back later, got a curt referral to account receivable, but at least the word "please" was used this time. No one answered so a I left a voicemail. Not feeling confident that that would be successful, I looked for another way to contact the hotel. I tried the on-line chat...they cannot help with this, but eventually they gave me the email address to the hotel. I sent a message and I got quick response to my email fulfilling my request. In contrast, I called a Hilton hotel with the same request and after a pleasant and polite exchange with their front desk staff, the invoice was in my inbox within 5 min.

The suite was fine and clean, but the walls are paper thin. It was easy to hear the neighbours.

The bartender (a mature gentleman) was very nice and took good care of us with excellent service. The concierge, Bernadette (?) was great, with good advice and she was very friendly.

As others have noted, the area around the hotel is not attractive and there is no where to walk. Even if you have to go to the Clinic, I would recommend staying elsewhere...especially since this hotel will tell you to sit and wait in the lobby for 45 minutes for the shuttle - you might as well take a taxi from another hotel according to your own schedule.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Rhondnius,

We are pleased that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. It is much appreciated. I do apologize that you were not adequately assisted in getting to the Cancer Center and for the misinformation you received. We strive to keep all our guests comfortable and informed and the feedback you have shared with us from your recent experience is not our standard of service.

I also do apologize for the inconsistencies with your room service menus and that your burger was not prepared to your liking. In the future please be sure to let the front desk know so that we may correct such issues for you right away.

An invoice should be provided upon request and I am disappointed that this was not sent to you promptly.

On a more positive note I am pleased that you found your suite to be nice and clean and that our bartender and concierge, Bernadette provided you with great service.

We do hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a more comfortable stay the next time you come to Cleveland.

Delafield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at the hotel as we were picking our son up from college. The good was that the room was very nice and clean. The bad started when we were told that our room had a fridge. There was none so we had a wasted trip bringing up leftovers...which turned out OK as only one of our keys opened our door. We went to the fitness center in the morning to find the water cooler and fruit dish empty. The direct tv feed did work for the last five minutes of our workout which was nice. Make sure you call the front desk if you have more than one device if you want to access their WiFi. If you don't, you will wonder why the password they give you doesn't work. Much better values elsewhere.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Matt O,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy you found your room to be nice and clean. In rooms without a refrigerator, they are available upon request and so in the future please do not hesitate to give the front desk a call so we could have one brought up to you. Also, we are always willing to replace any keys that for some reason do not work. I do apologize that the amenities in the fitness center were not replenished as this is standard amenity to our guests.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to provide you with a more memorable stay the next time you visit Cleveland.

San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was a little concerned based on other reviews but enjoyed my stay. Booked on points, upgraded on arrival. A little stark/white for my taste but that's a matter of opinion; room was very nice.
Was concerned about proximity to Clinic both for noise and fellow guests (I didn't want to feel like I was in a hospital) but neither were a problem for me.
Other than the hospital, not much in the area. It's sketchy getting to downtown (lots of ads for heroin recovery between the two) but I didn't feel unsafe around the hotel.
Valet is a bit of a rip-off. Park in the garage across the street for $10/day instead.
I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear nmno,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found your room to be very nice and that your worries about proximity to the Clinic were eliminated.
I am disheartened that you were not able to take advantage of some of the fun things to do in the area. We are located just down the street from University Circle, which is considered a cultural and historical district, located just 4 miles from Downtown Cleveland. Attractions include the Cleveland Institute of Music, the Cleveland Museum of Art and Severance Hall, (home of the Cleveland Orchestra) among others. There are also various dining and shopping areas within close proximity including Little Italy and Beachwood Place respectively.

It is good to know that at no point you felt unsafe around the hotel as we consider our Campus very safe. I am however disheartened that you found valet parking overpriced. We do research of similar entities in our area to ensure we provide competitive pricing.

All in all I am very happy that you would stay with us again. We hope to have that opportunity to provide you with the word-class service we are known for. Again, thank you so much for your review.

Sherice

Been to InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland? Share your experiences!