“It's the small things” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
“It's the small things”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

It's the small things that make or break my impression of a product or service.

For example, the bloody bandaid left in my bathroom. Or the two kiosk PCs that would not print, and the front desk person who offered to charge me to print them behind the desk. Or the restaurant that had no one at the host station to seat us and then gave us attitude because we wandered in unescorted. Or the unclean health club with a broken water bubbler, and towels and water bottles laying all over the place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear JoeRitson,

I am grateful that you have taken the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I do agree that it is the small things that truly make a difference in one’s experience. As such, I am deeply apologetic that certain details of your stay did not meet your expectations and we would have loved the opportunity to resolve these issues for you right away.

On future visits, please do not hesitate to reach out to our front desk or any member of staff with any issues you may experience so that we may take care of things for you. Again, I apologize that your stay was less than pleasant and I hope we will have the opportunity to provide you with a more polished stay the next time you come to Cleveland.

Sherice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I was here for 2 nights for business and I found most of the service to be extremely poor.

I tried asking the front desk for help regarding the Clinic campus and how best to get to a meeting I had at the cancer center. She couldn't help me and wasn't willing to try, and wouldn't touch the campus/shuttle map. Now, at all other hotels, the front desk staff assist with the local area map. She said I would have to take the shuttle and be in the lobby 45 minutes before I wanted to arrive...ok, I took the map up to my room, got out the reading glasses and realized that the cancer clinic is across the street...I could literally spit and hit it. Now, I am not a cancer patient but I work with them, and to tell them to come to the lobby 45 minutes in advance to sit around and wait can be completely exhausting for them and rather cruel and unusual punishment.

I ordered room service, using the menu on the TV since there was no hardcopy in the room. Tried to order the short ribs, but it was no longer on the menu - the electronic version of the menu is not current. Ok, took the hamburger and I was asked how I would like it cooked. I said well done, no pink. It arrived within the promised timeframe but the burger was essentially raw with maybe 2 mm of cooked (grey) meat around the edges. I didn't dare eat it. Now, I ordered late, was jetlagged and had to leave at 5 am, so I just left it and didn't take the battle, but it was disgusting.

I needed a copy of my invoice after I returned home. I called the front desk before 9 am and was told quite curtly that accounts receivable did not open until 9 am. She hung up as I said something about calling back later... I called back later, got a curt referral to account receivable, but at least the word "please" was used this time. No one answered so a I left a voicemail. Not feeling confident that that would be successful, I looked for another way to contact the hotel. I tried the on-line chat...they cannot help with this, but eventually they gave me the email address to the hotel. I sent a message and I got quick response to my email fulfilling my request. In contrast, I called a Hilton hotel with the same request and after a pleasant and polite exchange with their front desk staff, the invoice was in my inbox within 5 min.

The suite was fine and clean, but the walls are paper thin. It was easy to hear the neighbours.

The bartender (a mature gentleman) was very nice and took good care of us with excellent service. The concierge, Bernadette (?) was great, with good advice and she was very friendly.

As others have noted, the area around the hotel is not attractive and there is no where to walk. Even if you have to go to the Clinic, I would recommend staying elsewhere...especially since this hotel will tell you to sit and wait in the lobby for 45 minutes for the shuttle - you might as well take a taxi from another hotel according to your own schedule.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Rhondnius,

We are pleased that you have taken the time to give us your feedback. It is much appreciated. I do apologize that you were not adequately assisted in getting to the Cancer Center and for the misinformation you received. We strive to keep all our guests comfortable and informed and the feedback you have shared with us from your recent experience is not our standard of service.

I also do apologize for the inconsistencies with your room service menus and that your burger was not prepared to your liking. In the future please be sure to let the front desk know so that we may correct such issues for you right away.

An invoice should be provided upon request and I am disappointed that this was not sent to you promptly.

On a more positive note I am pleased that you found your suite to be nice and clean and that our bartender and concierge, Bernadette provided you with great service.

We do hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a more comfortable stay the next time you come to Cleveland.

Delafield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at the hotel as we were picking our son up from college. The good was that the room was very nice and clean. The bad started when we were told that our room had a fridge. There was none so we had a wasted trip bringing up leftovers...which turned out OK as only one of our keys opened our door. We went to the fitness center in the morning to find the water cooler and fruit dish empty. The direct tv feed did work for the last five minutes of our workout which was nice. Make sure you call the front desk if you have more than one device if you want to access their WiFi. If you don't, you will wonder why the password they give you doesn't work. Much better values elsewhere.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Matt O,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. I am happy you found your room to be nice and clean. In rooms without a refrigerator, they are available upon request and so in the future please do not hesitate to give the front desk a call so we could have one brought up to you. Also, we are always willing to replace any keys that for some reason do not work. I do apologize that the amenities in the fitness center were not replenished as this is standard amenity to our guests.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to provide you with a more memorable stay the next time you visit Cleveland.

San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was a little concerned based on other reviews but enjoyed my stay. Booked on points, upgraded on arrival. A little stark/white for my taste but that's a matter of opinion; room was very nice.
Was concerned about proximity to Clinic both for noise and fellow guests (I didn't want to feel like I was in a hospital) but neither were a problem for me.
Other than the hospital, not much in the area. It's sketchy getting to downtown (lots of ads for heroin recovery between the two) but I didn't feel unsafe around the hotel.
Valet is a bit of a rip-off. Park in the garage across the street for $10/day instead.
I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear nmno,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found your room to be very nice and that your worries about proximity to the Clinic were eliminated.
I am disheartened that you were not able to take advantage of some of the fun things to do in the area. We are located just down the street from University Circle, which is considered a cultural and historical district, located just 4 miles from Downtown Cleveland. Attractions include the Cleveland Institute of Music, the Cleveland Museum of Art and Severance Hall, (home of the Cleveland Orchestra) among others. There are also various dining and shopping areas within close proximity including Little Italy and Beachwood Place respectively.

It is good to know that at no point you felt unsafe around the hotel as we consider our Campus very safe. I am however disheartened that you found valet parking overpriced. We do research of similar entities in our area to ensure we provide competitive pricing.

All in all I am very happy that you would stay with us again. We hope to have that opportunity to provide you with the word-class service we are known for. Again, thank you so much for your review.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 days/2 nights while I was in cleveland. Let me start with the good points. The second room I ended up getting was very nice. The room was very clean and the hotel appears to be newly renovated. Now on the negative side. This hotel is in a bad area. I would often here sirens at night and was told it was not safe to go out after dark. I was also taken. aback by the really really poor customer service. I called the front after we first checked in about the room. We had booked a King Suite and this room did not appear to be a suite at all. There was not even a sitting area. I called the front desk using the hotel phone and was quickly put on hold and told to wait, so I waited and waited and waited. After being on hold for over 20 mins I decided to call the hotel
on my cell phone. I called the front desk and no answer. I then called back and asked to speak to the hotel manager. At this point I'm still on hold and it has been 25 mins. The manager was not in but I gave him my name and room number and asked him to follow up with me in a voice mail. At the 35 min mark of being on hold someone finally came on the line. I asked for the lady's name who had me on hold for 35 mins and she said it was Martinee. I would have told the manager this but during the 3 days I was at the hotel not one person followed up on my concern. When I checked out I was reassured that someone would follow up with me as being on hold for 35 mins is a safety concern What if someone had fallen. They even verified my phone number but no one has yet to call. That fact that I was left on hold that long is a huge concern, the fact that management does not follow up with guest when something goes wrong is a bigger concern. This is a hotel that prides itself on customer service and is failing in a major way!

• Stayed April 2014
Sherice B, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Rands23,

Thank you for your valued feedback and for commenting on the quality of our rooms. I am disheartened you were told that the area in which our hotel is situated is not safe. We are located on the Cleveland Clinic Campus which is secured by the Cleveland Clinic Police who are based on the grounds and so we take pride in providing a very safe environment for our guests. I sincerely apologize if at any point you experienced something that made you feel unsafe.

I do apologize that you had a long hold time to speak with someone at the front desk. Our staff may have been busy with check-ins but a follow up is absolutely important. I would love to have the opportunity to do so with you. This is not our usual level of service and I sincerely apologize that you experienced this. We hope to have the opportunity to make this up to you.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

For an Intercontinental, we were disappointed in this hotel.

The location was attached to a hospital. And was a few blocks away from an "Inmate Rehabilitation Center." Both facts that our travel agent should have perhaps advised.

When we arrived, we struggled getting our luggage out of the car trunk, while several valets/front door men looked on. None helped, or even made an effort to help until we were well into the lobby and at the front desk - at that point, why bother?

We waited to check in. The front desk staff kindly "upgraded" our rooms without comment or request, which was lovely.

Overall, the room itself was bright, clean, roomy and had recently been rennovated.

I had to call the concierge about something. They sent someone right up, but the man (while able to help me) seemed bothered and annoyed from the moment He arrived at the door (like he hated his job, and hated the fact that someone called upon him to do anything). Not exactly the level of service that I would expect from the Intercontinental.

My room faced a courtyard, but my colleague's faced the street and she was woken up several times during the night.

I would think twice about staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear tempscreenname,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry you were disappointed with the location of our hotel. We are a property operated by the Cleveland Clinic and so this is the reason for our location on the Cleveland Clinic Campus. The Campus is secured by the Cleveland Clinic Police who are stationed within the grounds. We pride our facilities as being very safe and incident free in big part for this very reason and as such I do apologize if you felt unsafe or unsecure while staying with us.

I am disheartened that you were not immediately assisted with your luggage, that you had to wait to check-in and that your expectations were not met by our concierge. I sincerely apologize as this is not our standard of service. I assure you that your comments are duly noted and that we will work our hardest to ensure this is not repeated.

We do hope to have the opportunity to make this up to you the next time you come to Cleveland.

Rochester, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Was moved from the other InterContinental because of renovations. Walk to conference in the other Intercontinental was difficult with foot injury. Was informed of move to other hotel by email with no explanation of reason for move or that it was a different hotel. If my admin assistant hadn't noticed the switch in address I would have missed it. Replacement hotel was nice though and fairly close. Left a nice gift of fresh fruit and chocolates. Room is actually a suite with small sitting area, frig, Keurig and microwave. Oversize bathrobe and slippers were appreciated. Great valet parking was helpful in bad weather. C2 restaurant was excellent. Hostess and waitress very accommodating. Chocolate lava cake dessert was scrumptious. Not much else in the area for dining or nightlife as the Clinic seems to own most of the property.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Bob N.,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay with us.

Firstly, I apologize for the lack of explanation for your move. I will follow up to ascertain why you were not properly informed. However I am pleased that you found our Suites Hotel to your liking. I will be sure to share your feedback with our C2 Restaurant staff. I am also pleased that you found our location to be ideal for service at the Cleveland Clinic.

We hope to see you the next time you venture to Cleveland and hope to make it a more memorable stay for you.

Again, thank you for your feedback!

Kim

Been to InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland? Share your experiences!