“Quiet and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa
“Quiet and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We spent two weeks at the Intercontinental Suites at the Cleveland Clinic while my husband was having open heart surgery. Overall, our experience was pleasant. The room was very quiet and comfortable, and it was very nice to have a separate living room and bedroom for our long stay. We could have used a more complete kitchen facility, as they only provide a small fridge and a microwave, and a small amount of storage space. We did have some minor irritations with the housekeeping, which tended to come either very early in the morning or around 5:00 p.m., neither or which was very convenient for us, and we ended up sending them away several times. We also thought that the overall housekeeping could have been better, as the hallway frequently needed a vacuuming, and room service trays sat in the hallway all day. We also found the free shuttle service to be less than accomodating several times, depending on who happened to be driving.

One thing to note--there are no good restaurants in the area, so staying for a long period of time presents dining challenges. The hotel's room service is ok (not great) but very expensive for what it is. The hospital has a cafeteria, a Starbucks, a McDonalds, a Mexican fast food place, and an Au Bon Pain, but all of that gets old quickly. There is also a small deli and a Lebanese places across the street from the hospital, but neither are particularly good. Little Italy is only a couple of miles down the road, and there are some good restaurants there. My advice is to eat there and bring back leftovers and extras, if you'll be staying in the area for a while. You can use the small fridge for the leftovers and heat them up in the microwave. Otherwise, you'll tire of the offerings in the area very quickly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

274 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berea Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

On a recent trip to Cleveland to the Cleveland Clinic my friends and I stayed here. This is a lovely, elegant Hotel. The srevice was beyond 5 star. The staff from the gentlemen who park your car to the bellhop, to the housekeeping staff were simply great. The rooms are comfortible and clean. We had a suite and its amenities were like being at home.

Room Tip: We were visiting the Clinic for my friends cancer checkup. This hotel is across the street from Tau...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights, and was an outpatient at the Cleveland Clinic.

Location: If you are able, you can easily walk to the main Clinic building 1 block away. There are really no convenience stores nearby. We brought our own bottled water, snacks, etc. Note that this hotel is not connected via a walkway/skyway.

Transportation: There are frequent Clinic shuttles, and the Health Line (public bus - very clean). The hotel courtesy van is hit/miss - seemed like it was often "tied up". However, they were short on drivers that week.

Room: We stayed in a King Suite. It was like a little apartment, with a huge bathroom. Very nice. Bed was large & comfy. 2 large TV's, microwave, and small fridge. The fridge takes a long time to get cold so don't plan on storing highly perishable items. Free basic wifi - don't expect to stream videos.
I have hyper sensitive skin & had no problems from the sheets. Towels were a little scratchy, and HVAC vent is directed right at the bed, so you need to master that. In room movies, though expensive, are nice if you need to stay in & rest. The doors do slam, so door closers wouldn't be a bad idea, but that didn't ruin my stay.

Food: The hotel restaurant, C2, offers many healthful and vegetarian/vegan options. Everything tasted fresh. We tried the veggie wrap, portabello burger, salad, fries, salmon, flatbread pizza, and crabcakes. All were very good. The servers & bartender in the lounge were all super friendly. Service is a little slow sometimes - even if you are the only person in the restaurant. But everything was cooked to order, so that's probably part of it. Don't go here if you are in a big hurry. ( Not sure why people wouldn't eat here instead of in the Clinic.....food options are not that great at CC).

Room Service: Food was hot, fresh, and there was a pretty flower on the table each time. My only complaint: We wanted to order a salmon sandwich for dinner (we had seen it on the lunch menu). We were told we could not. They need to be more flexible with that. Salmon is on the dinner menu, so........ just make the wrap for us & call it a day :)

Fitness Center: Everything is brand new, very nice. I sure wouldn't mind if that were our basement!

Parking: You will pay $16 per day for parking, whether you ever need to use your vehicle or not. Also, you are not allowed to walk to your car to get something out. This is an "oh well"......

Staff - Varies: Some employees of note due to their friendliness, helpfulness, and/or professionalism: Ashley (Front Desk), Octavia (Front Desk), Kirstal (Concierge), Barbara (housekeeping), Marisol & Velice (?) - at C2, Jeff (C2 Lounge), Pete & Richard & AJ (drivers). There were others as well, but I can't remember them all. I'd have to say most of the staff was great.

There were a few staff members who either NEVER cracked a smile (even when ya handed 'em a good tip), or made some errors with information.

NOTE: Be wary of shuttle schedules & other things provided by the front desk. Double check!! We were given an outdated shuttle schedule & ended up stranded for a while. I finally called the hotel after waiting about 30 mins & was told we would have to wait an hour to be picked up by the Courtesy Van. I explained that it was the hotel's fault that we were stranded & miraculously the courtesy van became available. I never liked having to call for the hotel courtesy van. I always felt like I was bothering the Bellhop. The hotel manager did call to follow up on this issue, and comped our movies & a day of parking at my request (although I did have to have the bill corrected at checkout to reflect this).

Regarding that issue, I got the sense that they thought we should have just walked the 1+ mile back to the hotel in the 85 degree heat.

I think some of the staff needs to remember that a lot of the guests are Clevelend Clinic patients, and we may not be able to walk that far. Some of us may look "good" but have cardiac or neurological issues (hello - that's why we travel to the Clinic!) Remember - not all sick people have bandages on their head, or are in a wheelchair.

Other random, helpful info:
You can safely walk all the way to University Circle, even Little Italy - during daylight hours. Just walk up/down Euclid Ave. Or you can take the Health Line bus to these places.

The Courtesy Van will NOT take you to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. It's a $15 cab ride. The hotel has "cabs" at the ready & they are actually Town Cars, which is VERY nice :)

The oudoor patio is lovely. We sat out there more than once at night.

If you have some time, check out nearby University Circle. The Botanical Garden was especially nice.

I do have to return to the Cleveland Clinic soon, and will likely stay here again.

Room Tip: I would definitely book a king suite again! Worth the few extra bucks.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I was in Cleveland for a Conference at the Cleveland Clinic. I only was in my room in the evening. The people at the front desk were very helpful and courteous. The parking attendants were also very prompt and pleasant. I ate dinner two nights in the C2 restaurant. The employees were again very welcoming. The food was average, nothing to write home about.
My only complaint would be that valet parking is mandatory at $16/day. It would be cheaper, if you will not be driving much, since I didnt, to park in another garage to save yourself the money. There is no reason to charge that much money for a service I did not request, yet was mandatory.

Otherwise, it is within walking distance - 1-2 minutes - to get the the Clev Clinic main building so if in town for a medical conference or for a loved one having surgery, this was a good experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Pgh1025,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the hotel during your stay. We certainly take the comments seriously and we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with valet parking being mandatory. Since we are unable to provide self parking as an option, our guests have the ability to park in any of the nearby parking garages if they feel the valet parking charge is too expensive.

Also thank you for recognizing our front desk, valet parking attendants, and C2 restaurant employees for their great customer service.

Poland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

Valet parking was extremely helpful and funny! They set the tone for the rest of our stay. There was a small wait to check in, (under three minutes), as we seemed to have hit the main check in time rush, but the ladies were very apologetic to each guest about it.

We had a question about the air filtration for our room and received an impressive and informative answer.

The room was spotless and was already cool, (we always ask our room be set at 65 before we check in so we are comfortable). The King Suite was very enjoyable overall. When we walked in the sound of ocean waves were coming from the bedroom. Our stress started to melt away!

There was a nice little selection of current magazines that both my boyfriend and I read while drinking some wine and debating on room service.

Both dinner and breakfast were fabulous! Their healthy selections were much appreciated!

The bed was so comfortable we tried to come up with a plan to bring it back home! When we realized it was a no go we decided to go out and purchase a similar one soon.

If you book early enough you can snag a room for a great deal!

Safe travels!

• Stayed April 2012
Dear ZombieDana,

As the only "wellness focused" hotel in Cleveland, we are thrilled to hear the stress started to melt away and you enjoyed the healthy meal selections in our restaurant. We look forward to having you as our guest again.

Stay well,
Flemington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

When we scheduled our first visit to the Cleveland Clinic I felt that it was important that my wife have a comfortable place to stay and relax during my procedure and recovery. I did some research online and decided that The Intercontinental Suites Hotel best met our budget and overall needs because it offered 1 bdrm suites with living rm/dining area with sink, microwave, and refrigerator. I called The Suites and asked to speak with someone to arrange my visit. I was transferred to Pablo Criado, Director of Guest Experience. I explained our situation and needs and Pablo listened carefully. He volunteered to make the reservation for me and vowed that the staff would assist my wife in every way possible while I was in the hospital. The entire staff performed perfectly against that promise. Now 9 stays and 45 days later Pablo and many of the staff have become friends. This clearly represents "over the top" customer focus. My wife and I could not be happier with this hotel in every way. So if you are planning a stay at the Clinic, call the Suites and ask for Pablo. You'll be very glad you did. P.S. The beds are great.

Room Tip: My wife is addicted to seveeral rooms on the 8th floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear tfin,

Thank you for all the wonderful comments of our staff and especially Pablo, our Director of Guest Experience! We are happy to hear we met every one of your needs during your visit. We wish you and your family well.

Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights while in Cleveland for a wedding. The front desk was helpful and gave us some complimentary chocolates while they looked up my priority club number (the reservation that was made by someone else).

The suite is two good sized rooms and is right on the Cleveland Clinic campus. Although it wasn't the purpose of our visit, I think it'd be a perfect place for a family to stay if you or a loved one is in town for the hospital. (Note, the kitchenette is really just for coffee, not any kind of meal prep.)

The restaurant and bar staff are friendly, and we couldn't say no to the fruit water (you'll see what I mean!) in the lobby.

My one gripe is the mandatory valet parking: the drivers are courteous and quick, but when you literally drive your car through a mostly empty valet lot in order to get to the hotel entrance, it seems utterly crazy to pay someone to drive your car back to the lot and park it for you.

I'd much rather put my valet parking fee into the tip jar of whoever makes that fruit water. Mmmm mmmm!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear viajeropajero,

We are glad you enjoyed the fruit infused water in the lobby! I would agree it is delicious.

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the hotel while in town for a wedding. We take all the comments serious and we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with valet parking as the only option.

Stay well,
Business Travel Sales Manager

Been to InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland? Share your experiences!