“A "Pure" room that was far from pure...” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nashville
“A "Pure" room that was far from pure...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

My wife and I came to the Cleveland Clinic initially for an anticipated two-day medical consultation for my wife, and a possible cardio catheterization angiogram (cath), which turned out to be necessary. After the cath, it turned out she needed full blown double bypass surgery. I won’t get into that except to say that the Cleveland Clinic is the place to go, if you need that type of work done. Our experience with the clinic itself was five-star all the way from start to finish.

I wish our hotel stay had been as good. When you come to the Cleveland Clinic from out of town like we did, you probably will want to stay in one of the 3 lodging facilities offered on the Cleveland Clinic campus. The campus itself, which is as big as a large college campus, is very clean, attractive, and has great security. The entire campus, indoors and out, is non-smoking. The area surrounding the campus, on the other hand, is a virtual ghetto. There aren’t any other hotels nearby. The most upscale and most expensive hotel on campus is the Intercontinental Hotel Cleveland. The second tier lodging is the Intercontinental Suites Hotel Cleveland (the Suites), where we stayed, and the least expensive, and oldest, is the Cleveland Clinic Guest House Hotel. We chose the Suites because the rooms were described as the largest, and most of them were recently refurbished. The Intercontinental Hotel is connected to the hospital via an indoor “skywalk,” and offers the most convenient access to the hospital. The Suites are two blocks, or about 450 yards away via exterior sidewalk from the hospital. The walk takes 5-8 minutes, but you are exposed to the weather, which can be bad in Cleveland. The Guest House is a little closer – probably about a 200 yard walk from the hospital, and also open-air.

We were there from April 25, 2011 until May 7, 2011 (12 nights). My wife was in the hospital for all but five nights. I spent two nights in her hospital room, but the remaining nights I slept in the Suites. Of course we paid for all 12 nights whether we were there or not. We rented a “Pure” king suite at a rate of $180 per night (AAA rate), plus 16.25% taxes. The “Pure” room was supposed to guarantee a non-allergenic clean air environment, and it cost an additional $18 extra per night over the standard king suite.

First, I’ll describe the good part. The hotel is very clean and quiet. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The lobby is small but nice. Several complimentary newspapers are available in the lobby. The room was a one bedroom suite with a good sized sitting area, and small kitchenette, very clean, and totally free of any odors, etc. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the room with several complimentary blends available. The room appeared to have been renovated fairly recently (we had requested a renovated room). The bed was extremely comfortable. We were very happy with the room – at first.

Now for the bad news, and there was quite a bit. First, the room was pretty warm when we walked in (74 degrees), but the A/C was turned off, so we turned it on and set the thermostat to 65, which is the temperature we try to keep our home, summer and winter. The outside temperature was about 65 degrees that evening. Neither of us can sleep well in a hot room. We went to dinner in the Citrus Restaurant in the lobby, which was so-so, and returned to find the room even hotter – 76 degrees. We sweated through the first night by opening the windows all of the 3 inches they would open. The following morning we awoke to find the room 74 degrees, despite the open windows and A/C set at 65 all night long, and cool overnight rainy temperature outside. I called the front desk, and they assured me they would take care of it. The following night we returned to the room to find it 79 degrees! I called the front desk, and was told “we are working on it.” They told me to turn off the A/C, because it was putting out heat, not cool air, even though it was set at 65. Long story short, after four different desk clerks told me 4 different stories, I learned that this hotel cannot operate A/C and heat at the same time. They run heat until summer, then A/C until fall, and then back to heat again. Consequently, even on May 7, 2011, they still only had heat available. Our “Pure” room became a joke, since we left the windows open 24/7 our entire 12 night stay. They sent up a fan to help, but it made very little difference. They did reduce our room rate to that of a non-“Pure” room, which lowered the daily rate to $162 ++. My complaint was enhanced when I learned that the lobby, conference rooms and even the hallways did have A/C - only the rooms did not.

My second complaint is the total lack of hotel parking. There is no on-site parking at all. The hotel offers valet parking at $16 per day (plus a 10-15 minute wait + tips every time you call for the car). The alternative is a self parking garage which is a 450 yard hike from the hotel that costs $12 per day or 5 days for $30. By the time taxes, parking, and valet tips are added, that $180 room became $230 per night. No matter what method of parking you choose, it is a huge hassle. In addition, if you have guests visit you like we did on two occasions, they are subjected to the same exorbitant rates, even for only a short visit. The main Intercontinental Hotel offers the same identical parking situation, from what I was told. The Guest House has a complimentary open parking lot adjacent to the hotel that is much more convenient and available for guests as well.

My third complaint concerns meals. There are three restaurants associated with the two Intercontinental Hotels, but only two are open at any one time. All three of them have the same basic menu, which is at best, satisfactory. Despite what the hotel reservation personnel may tell you, there are no other eating options on campus that I could find, except for the food court in the hospital, and the hospital cafeteria. I ate most of my meals at the hospital food court. It was reasonably priced, and convenient to the hospital, but not to the hotel. However, even the food court has only three restaurant choices - Mexican, McDonalds, and a deli-type shop, in addition to a Starbucks. Eating the same meals for 12 days in a row gets pretty old.

The service at all three hotel restaurants is very slow. The room service at the Suites was even slower - at least an hour or more wait. If you want an adult beverage, go somewhere else, or better yet, bring your own. The bartender cannot make a decent drink, and the booze selection is terrible, unless you like vodka-rocks. I got the impression that drinking alcohol is not encouraged here.

My final complaint is pretty trivial, but a 12 day stay usually includes some TV time. The room had two large flat screens. They were great. The bad part was the lack of channel selection. There were a grand total of 25 English speaking channels available, five of which were for children and fifteen more of which I would never watch. They did have six Arabic speaking channels available which was interesting to watch the day after Bin Laden was killed…. Only one sport channel is offered – ESPN, one news channel – CNN, and NO Weather Channel! I’ve never been to a hotel that didn’t offer the Weather Channel. In fact, I had to go to the lobby every morning to find out how to dress. The barely openable tinted windows prevented an accurate guess from the room, and the morning outdoor temperatures varied from 35 degrees to 70 degrees during our stay.

Overall, the convenience to the hospital worked for us, the room was very clean, spacious and well kept, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Under normal circumstances, we probably would have moved because of the heat, but with my wife in the hospital, I was not there very much, and it simply was not worth the hassle. Incidentally, the A/C in the Cleveland Clinic worked great, and my wife had a very comfortable stay there. Later in the summer, with the A/C operational, the temperature might have been perfect in our room. However, in the wintertime it must be like an oven all the time since the room cannot be kept below 76 degrees, even with the heat off.

One final note. At the end of our stay we met with the management and complained about the heat issue. The manager was very understanding, and I got the impression that we were not the only guests who were upset. She admitted that they go through this problem every seasonal change. She agreed to make the last day and a half of our stay complimentary, which we thought was a fair resolution to the problem, and made us feel a little better.

I wrote this review immediately after our stay, but forgot to post it until now.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Ask about the heat and A/C situation. It might have been renovated.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Recent renovations are nice. Rooms clean and comfortable. Hotel staff very helpful. My only issue was that we had to use valet service. No self parking option was available although it is noted on the hotel reservation website. Our trip purpose was to find an apartment and with our tight budget, I couldn't tip each time that I needed my car.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We stayed at the InterContinental Suites Hotel this past weekend. We were in town for my neice's engagement party and our entire family enjoyed this hotel. The suite was spacious and afforded our 15 year old son the privacy of his own bed (sofabed actually) and his own television. His sisters (ages 17 and 13) and I shared the bedroom with two double beds. The bathroom was very good for our gang as the shower/toilet area has a separate door for privacy. The girls were able to do their hair and makeup while my son showered. The floor plan is ideal for a family with teens. The hotel was clean and the staff could not have been more responsive. They seem to understand that many families are visiting their hotel to attend to family members at the Cleveland Clinic which surrounds this hotel. My sister and I described this hotel as a commercial Ronald McDonald House. That is meant as the highest complement to the staff for their gentle and understanding demeanor.

If there is any criticism it is that they should offer a television channel listing in each room. We had no trouble finding foreign television stations (presumably to make those from other countries feel more at ease and at home) but had some trouble finding local news for the weather report or channels familiar to us. This is such a minor issue as we spent very little time in the room.

As far as location, it is a good location if you don't mind driving into downtown for the attractions. The area feels very safe and I enjoyed daily walks over to the museum district. I also loved Little Italy which is nearby (I walked there one morning and bought delicious pastry from Presti's Bakery).

This is an excellent choice in Cleveland. Moms

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We are currently at this hotel due to the need to be on the grounds of the Cleveland Clinic for 2 weeks. The suites are attractive, bright, well furnished and well thought out as to use of space. The kitchenette is not a full kitchen but the mini-fridge is bigger than most with a real freezer section that is also oversized for this type of appliance. Bar sink and microwave are bigger and better quality than most. No utensils or plates, but the kitchenette was still useful to us as we brought in what we needed for light meals. Good table area to eat and also do computer work with the free internet access. The beds are excellent and hotel is very clean. Bathroom is divided into two separate rooms for convenience. Excellent clothing storage space and adequate lighting in the suites. Good hand rails are in all bathrooms, I believe. Not just the handicap ones. The staff is uniformly helpful and friendly. If you need extras of anything, they bring it promptly. As others wrote, the free clinic shuttle around the clinic grounds is very helpful. The restaurant is creative and we found the staff very good there, too. No sundry shop as the hotel is still being renovated. Special discounted rates available for clinic patients and still lower rates if you stay a week or more. Bottom line: it made a necessary stay far more pleasant and we recommend it highly. Would be happy to return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Tuppers Plains, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel twice in the last couple of years, the latest being in January 2011. Both times were for lodging while at the Cleveland Clinic. This hotel is located on the Cleveland Clinic campus. It is extremely nice and very safe. The hotel uses valet parking and your vehicles are parked within a fenced lot next to the hotel. For those who have never visited the Cleveland Clinic, the campus area is very safe, but if you travel (walk) beyond the campus area, you are traveling at your own risk. Of the three hotels on campus, this one is the "middle of the road" as far as pricing. They are all owned by Intercontinental. If staying there while at the Cleveland Clinic, I would recommend calling in the reservation though, because I received a large discount when mentioning my reason for being there. It is an extremely nice hotel. There is a resturant in the hotel, but I can not comment on it because I never ate there. The suites are very large, clean and comfortable. They have a seperated bedroom area, living area and small kitchen as well as a large bathroom. We chose this hotel due to location and safety. There is a CC shuttle that runs about every 15 minutes that will take you to any part of the campus for free. I would highly recommend taking advantage of the shuttle if you are visiting the campus. I was extremely pleased with this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Discounts offered through Cleveland Clinic
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Hotel was being remodeled and we did get one of the newer rooms/suites. Suite was nicely furnished and spacious; bed was very comfortable. Bathroom had a double vanity which is very nice when two are sharing a room. Our average rating in this review comes from the service at the hotel - which was just ok. Hotel only has valet parking at $22 a night, which seems steep for Cleveland and we hate the hassle of having to call for our car every time we want to leave or get something out of it. Also, our experience at breakfast was terrible. While our room rate included breakfast (according to the website) we found out upon checking in that it was a $30 credit. Ok. We had breakfast in the dining room and ordered off the menu instead of doing the buffet to get their "healthy" eating selections. We were the only ones in the restaurant (7:30 am on a Saturday) and our breakfast entrees took FOREVER to arrive (over 20 minutes for eggs). When we asked our waitress what the delay was, magically our food appeared and her excuse for the delay was that while the restaurant was empty, the chef was busy with room service requests. We found that a little hard to believe early on a Saturday morning, but ok again. Then we tasted our food, and while it was tasty, it was barely warm, which meant to us that it had been sitting in the kitchen for a long time and room service was probably not at all the issue. When we brought this to our waitress' attention (when she came back to ask how everything was), she called over the manager who explained that it was the chicken that came with my husband's eggs that took so long. REALLY????? He offered to take care of our breakfast bill and we said don't bother, it is included in our room rate. With that he left with our bill and never reappeared. So, while we really liked the rooms, I don't know that we would return due to the poor service we received. I expect more from Inter-Continental.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

We had 13 people staying at the hotel for my daughter's concurrent Graduation from Medical and Business Schools. The Suites are beautifully appointed with necessary amenities - and the Presidential Suite (which our family used) was gorgeous. We were able to entertain our friends in the Suite and the staff went way beyond the call of duty to facilitate us - all done with charm, grace and a smile!
Our special thanks to Pablo Criado (Guest Experience Director) and Bertrand Mangeot (Director of Rooms Division) , "muchas gracias" - "mille merci" - you are STARS in my book!!
Thanks also to Richard, Angela, Bridget, Jennifer, Bendidi, Youssef and others who made us feel so much at home and ensured perfection in every area.
The hotel was extremely busy as this was "Graduation week-end in Cleveland" - despite this, we felt like royalty - ALL my guests made this comment.
Pablo - how can we ever thank you enough - you solved every problem and made the hotel a home away from our home in Toronto.
Jennifer and family

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
kknoll, Manager at InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Dear JP_Toronto,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at the hotel during. We are please to hear your family enjoyed the newly renovated hotel and that our staff made you feel like royalty! I have shared with the staff your comments and thanked them for a job well done!

Stay well,
Kim Knoll
Business Travel Sales Manager

Been to InterContinental Suites Hotel Cleveland? Share your experiences!