“As always, Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Cleveland excelled my expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Check out the Theater!
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
“As always, Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Cleveland excelled my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The Hilton Garden Inn Downtown once again proved why it is the only hotel I will stay at in downtown Cleveland. I have stayed here several times and not once have I been let down.
This particular visit was for my anniversary with my wife. To start, this hotel in my opinion has the overall best location. Easy access to/from main highways, RIGHT by the arenas (The Jake or Progressive Field if you will...The Q/Quicken Loans Arena) and the hotel is a short cab ride to the warehouse district, where a solid nightlife exists. The hotel offers a free shuttle to pretty much anywhere in the area. That worked out great when we wanted to visit the Horseshoe Casino (which is also near by) and not have to hassle with calling a cab. The manager, Greg, who was behind the front desk at check-in, was more than helpful. You can tell he truly cares about each and every customer. Greg expeditiously got us checked in and answered all of our questions. Harvey's Bar & Grille downstairs is a great place for a drink in the evening. Mike, the bartender is outstanding with customers. He is an above-average bartender. Sandye, was also very helpful in room service. The staff here is top notch. The beds are comfortable, the room is clean. We were lucky enough to get a corner room, facing the baseball stadium and highways. That presents a wonderful view of Cleveland and the tower that lights up at night. Our room had extra space, as it was a corner room. Breakfast downstairs was great. While you have to pay for it, it is definitely affordable and worth every dollar. You have your choice of pretty much anything you may desire for breakfast with few exceptions. Our server, Veronica, remembered us from previous visits. She was awesome. She was very helpful and has a great attitude. I look forward to my next stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown, whenever that may be. This hotel is (don't quote me on this) the only hotel in the gateway-downtown area that offers self parking. Personally, I do not like valet so this is another reason I support this hotel. PS: I highly suggest taking just a few minutes and signing up for Hilton Honor Rewards. Many perks with that like discounts on rooms and late check-out if needed.
Greg, Mike, Veronica, Sandye and the rest of the staff, thanks for an awesome stay, once again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large with a view if you can face the stadium. Suites are worth the money if they...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
WOW - thank you for this fantastic review. Also thank you for all the shout outs to our team members. Please know it will be shared with them. Opening day is this Friday so we hope to have you back soon for a game. Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Toledo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

If you want to go to Progressive Field, The Q or Cleveland State - this is a great location. You can walk to the first two locations which is what I did while in town for work.

I stayed here on two different reservations on back-to-back nights. The first night I stayed on the ninth floor in a room next to the elevator shaft (my choice). Do you notice the noise? Yes. Was it loud? No. This floor is not renovated and it shows. When they painted the doors last, there is still paint splatter on the door handles.

The rooms have Keurig which is a nice touch along with a mini fridge.

I stayed on the 11th floor during my second night. The 11th floor is a renovated floor so try to stay here if you can. While it isn't a huge difference, I could notice the change and it just felt newer/cleaner. But you can still see paint splatter on the door handles, even on the 11th floor.

The business center is great and this is coming from someone who never needs to use the business center at hotels - except this trip. The printer is free and the fax machine is free. While these two features are nice, if you are trying to do something complicated such as work in a Microsoft Office file, you may have issues since this HGI uses the "hotel computer" software that you'll find at many other hotels. I used a work around and still got what I needed done, printed and faxed - for free.

The service here is outstanding. I asked the front desk clerk at 1am Friday night/Saturday morning if I could have late check-out for Saturday. She looked at my HHonors Gold status and asked if 5pm would be great - which it was because I had an evening commitment and no place to spend my time between waking up, going to the gym and work in the evening. I was driving home after my commitment. She even extended this benefit to a colleague who does not have HHonors status. Hat tip to the front desk staff, which is a group of people that was very friendly and helpful in my other encounters as well but the late late check-out was MUCH appreciated.

Breakfast = standard HGI.

The bar is still the same. No update from my previous review on the fitness center which I had intended to reinspect but forgot in my time at the property.

Speaking of the fitness center, Cleveland State's student rec center is a 3-5 minute drive from the hotel and costs $10 for daily use. I went to CSU to use their Olympic pool for lap swimming.

Room Tip: Eleventh floor has renovated rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HGIClevelandDntwn, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to type up a review on your stay with us. Glad you were able to enjoy one of our newly updated guestrooms. Please know ALL guestrooms will be updated in the next few weeks. One floor at a time. Thanks again.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed here for one night when we came to town to watch a Cavaliers game. The hotel is easy access from the interstate and in a great location for the Quicken Loan Center and the Baseball Stadium.. 5 minute walk.. There is a great pool and hot tub, a restaurant and a pantry area with snacks, drinks and other items one might need (or forget) while away.

Our room was clean and comfortable. We will stay at this hotel again when next in Cleveland.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HGIClevelandDntwn, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Yes, we are the closest hotel to the ballpark and opening day is only 12 days away. Please come back and catch a game and thank you for the fabulous review.
atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I was traveling with a colleague and our flight was delayed several hours. On the way to the hotel, the colleague received a call from the hotel inquiring if she was still coming. They said nothing about room availability. I apparently missed a call from the hotel when we were hailing a cab, but no message was left.

We arrived at the hotel and the colleague checked in first. I then checked in and was told they only had smoking rooms. I asked if my reservation was for a nonsmoking room. The clerk said it was but they only had smoking rooms lefts.

What was especially irritating was that the clerk just kept standing there looking at me, shaking her head yes at me and smiling. Not sure what that was about. After a minute of head shaking she finally asked if I wanted the room. I told her I had no choice as it was 11pm and what other option did I have. She went on to tell me that the room had just been cleaned and that I could call them if it smelled like smoke. Really? Like spraying a room will really make it not smell like an ashtray. Naturally, no manager was at the desk.

Well, I did run into the manager at the elevator who offered nothing but the same " we just cleaned it, let me know if it is not OK" line. I told him on the spot that it was not OK and I didn't understand why they accept reservations for nonsmoking rooms when they can't honor them. He said some sort of "fine print" BS about availability, not guaranteed, blah, blah.

As soon as I got off the elevator, I got hit with the cigarette stench. I took my winter coat to my colleague's room ti avoid having that smell of smoke all day at our meetings. When I got back, the phone rang and it was the manager asking how the room was, is it OK? uh, no. It smells like smoke and I told you it would.

THEN, now almost 11:30pm he offers a room at the Hampton Inn down the street. Had that been offered at check in, I might have taken it. I told him that I simply wanted to go to bed and although I appreciated the offer, it was made too late, and although I was unhappy, he couldn't fix it now.

He then offered to comp the room and I said thank you and hung up.

Sadly, I received a bill in the morning with the regular rate. Disappointing. I never really wanted the comp'd room but if you offer it then at least get that part right.

Breakfast was good but the service was pretty slow.

I would not stay there again and what I have learned is to avoid locations that even have smoking rooms. I work with healthcare professionals and I don't want to call on them smelling like cigarettes. I left all my clothes in my suitcase, closed in the bathroom to try to avoid that...my hair was another story. It feels unprofessional to me to arrive to see a client reeking of cigarettes.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HGIClevelandDntwn, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
We sincerely apologize we were not able to give the room type you had requested. We completely understand your frustration and again, apologize. But we do thank you for letting us know about your breakfast experience and how our night manager tried to help. Certainly appreciate that.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I recently visited the US for the first time - using Cleveland Garden Inn as my "homebase" for 16 nights in early March.The room is nice and cosy - especially when it is -8C outside. The bathroom is nice and there is no outside noise - you wouldnt even know your in town.

The service is very Friendly - nice cafe downstairs that is open extended hours. Found one of the staff members, Jason, to be very friendly. There is also an exercise area.

I find some of these reviews misleading. Cleveland is one of those places that has an unfortunate "stigma" about it - when in reality, it is a very lovely place to be - the location is no different to any other downtown hotel.

The best feature of this hotel is the sporting facilities a stones throw away. I went to an Ice Hockey and Basketball game - and when the game was finished - it was nice knowing that i only had to take 200 footsteps to get back to my warm room (If you like a "bash and crash" sport - definitely go to Ice Hockey with the Erie Monsters - and sit in the front row behind the goals!)

It is a 5 min walk from Tower City - and has the best benefit of being right next door to the sporting facilities. The one facility that is the furthermost - Cleveland Browns Stadium - is still only a 10 min walk away (as well as the Rock and Roll Museum and Science Centre). There is also a surprising "play theater" area - with many high school plays being shown. I went to one at PLayhouse theater - who'd a thunk post war industrial Cleveland has culture!

Cleveland also has a hidden treasure that seems to be hardly used when it comes to travel (and I honestly dont know why) - and that is a zippy 2 car train that races 9 stops to the Airport. I travelled on this train at 4am, 10pm and throughout the day - I found the walk and train ride to and from the hotel very safe, despite being alone. The train comes every 10mins - an extremely high frequency for a city of its size. For those that are paranoid - the driver/conductor is in the first car with a window view of the rest of his/her carriage - but the train is safe - if not safer that any other rail network.

There is also the "Health Line" Bus Rapid which zips accross to the Uni district with its distinctive "bell" and bendy bus - that has hidden little museums with art and natural history. These museums are quite sizeable - and above average in size compared to others in the nation. You can ride buses and trains all you like for $5 a day.

I was even proud to catch a local bus to Stongdale - something which i never usually do out of my comfort zone - and yet, only a 5 min walk from the hotel.

The hotel is also near many restaurants and bars (filled with life after work and sports games) - there is even a very nice "laneway" on the way to Tower City, along with a stand up bar and bowling alley.

For those reading these reviews - Cleveland and this hotel are a wonderful combo. The hotel trumps many Sydney hotels in my hometown - and the city itself is fantastic (probably because it is a hidden gem from tourists).

I walked to and from the hotel from as far as Uni Circle and felt very much at home.

My only complaint (being an Australian) is the freezing cold snow - and i definately appriciate Australian "Phoenix" winters more now.

Will definately be visiting Cleveland again in the future - as well as this hotel. To see my new favorite overseas team - the Lake Erie Monsters.

Room Tip: Laundry facility (washer and dryer) is available on the 2nd floor. Both cycles take 30mins - but mob...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
What an absolutely fabulous and very detailed review. On behalf of our hotel and the city of Cleveland we sincerely thank you for all the kind words. We look forward to you visiting us again. Take care.
Lakewood, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We had a fantastic time! The room was ready early and available for us to check in upon our early arrival; we were floored to discover that there was a free shuttle that could drop us off and pick us up from West 6th St; the staff was extremely helpful and understanding when we misplaced our keycards; the hot tub was fantastic; and breakfast was wonderful! We were a little disappointed about not having access to room service, but once we went downstairs and saw all the fabulous food, we were completely content. I won this free hotel package and could've have been any more satisfied. Will definitely recommend to friends and family and consider staying here again in the future! Thanks again for a great weekend!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
You are most welcome and thank you back! Glad you enjoyed our hotel and downtown Cleveland.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed here in February 2013 (sorry for the delayed review - but I did promise!). Was greeted at 3am in the morning by very welcoming front desk staff that could not have done more to help me and welcome me. Provided me with great tips for my stay (even at the horrific hour!). Upon departure ensure that I had everything ready for the rest of my holiday and offered assistance.

Great hotel - clean, great breakfast, good location - but staff are fantastic!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
HGIClevelandDntwn, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Better late than never as they say and we always appreciate our guests taking the time to type up a review on their stay with us. Glad to read you had a great stay. Thanks again!

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!