“A good 3 star hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle
“A good 3 star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I was supposed to stay here for 2 days but left after day 1 as the room I got on third floor had lumpy bed, wrinkled sheets and the room is very basic. This hotel is a good 3 star hotel. I was here during the St Patrick's Day weekend. The location of the hotel is far from where everything is and not safe for solo travellers. While it is considered downtown, you cant really walk to places except for the baseball and basketball stadium. There are no restaurants within walking distance and the restaurant in the property doesn't have good quality, low calorie food. They pretty much serve diner type food. The great thing about this hotel is their staff, very friendly and helpful. However, the hotel is what it is, 3 star.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Bricktown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We have to travel to Cleveland often because our son is a student at Case Western Reserve University. We have stayed at numerous different hotels in the area. This time we picked this one because even though we had to bring our son back after spring break, it was also St. Patrick's Day weekend. The other hotels that we had previously stayed at would not honor the Case Western rate so we called this hotel and their rate was reasonable. When we arrived we were met by DeeDee at the front desk. She was the best!!! She couldn't have been friendlier and had the biggest smile. After driving through a horrible snow storm and being in the car for well over nine hours, it was a really nice way to be welcomed. Our room was perfect. Bed was comfy. They have a bar right downstairs that was very nice. Quite crowded for Cleveland. I chalk that up to it being the night before the big parade. The bartender, (sorry can't remember his name) was also very personable. The next day we had the breakfast that they offer. This was also very good. One other thing I have to point out. Parking in Cleveland is not easy. Most hotels you have to valet park your car. This hotel has the parking lot right in the back of the building. This was very convenient. This hotel will now be our go to hotel whenever we have to visit Cleveland. Hopefully their rates will remain reasonable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We certainly appreciate the excellent review and the kind feedback in regard to our fellow team members Dee Dee and Mike. Please know we have shared your review with them and the rest of our team. Most of all we are excited to know our hotel is now your go to hotel when visiting Cleveland. See you soon!
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This HGI is in a great location. Basically right across the street from Progressive Field & the Q. Walking distance from pretty much everywhere you would want to visit. Room was clean and big! We had a 2 queen suite with a separate room with a couch & a mini kitchen. We did hear the people partying in the next room, but it was St. Patrick's Day so we too were being a bit rowdy. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
We certainly appreciate you pointing out our hotel and guestroom amenities. Glad you had an excellent stay with us and please know your review has been shared with the entire team. Thank you for staying with us!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I liked this hotel. It was very easy to get to, the front desk lady was extremely nice, we got the room we wanted without having to remind them like at some other hotels, and the beds were very comfortable. I liked that there was a mini fridge and microwave in the room too. The bed was very comfortable. The free shuttle downtown is a great touch. Free wifi was nice, and the parking rate was reasonable, I'm glad it was self-park as some other places force you to use valet. I would have given this five stars but the bathroom wasn't very clean- it wasn't horrible by any means, but it definitely could have been better (toilet/tub/floor). I'd still stay here again though and recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review and for pointing out your room highs and lows which we truly appreciate. Please know we have passed on your housekeeping concerns to our executive housekeeper. And yes, all 240 of our rooms have a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and complimentary wifi. Even though we're directly across the street from the baseball stadium and literally around the corner from the Quicken Loans Arena, feel free to take our complimentary shuttle to these or any of the immediate downtown attractions such as the Horseshoe Casino or the Rock Hall Museum. Cleveland Indians season coming soon, come stay for a game or 2! Thanks again!
Sandusky, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed at this location before and written a review before as well. The additional comments I am making this time is that if you purchase your price via an internet vendor such as Priceline etc. you will NOT get your rewards points for staying here. I am a HH member and when I showed up and gave them my card they would not take my information.
Overall the hotel is about the same as the last time. It is a really location if you are doing things at the Progressive field or the Q arena this is a really good spot to stay. There is a complimentary shuttle bus that will take you to most downtown spots but it stops running at 9:00 pm so not really an option for the late night crowd.
Overall the staff is nice and the property is clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HGIClevelandDntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
We appreciate you typing up a review each time you have stayed with us. And yes, if a guest books with a third party booking site and not directly through Hilton they will not be able to use their Hilton Honor number or receive their membership perks. Thank you for pointing that out since many people are not aware of that. Also our shuttle runs Monday through Friday 7am until 9pm and Saturdays noon till 9pm. But we do have a discount relationship with a local transportation company who runs 24 hours and for a minimal fee they can get you to or from our hotel outside of our shuttle hours. Just let the front desk know your transportation needs and we'll set everything up for you no matter the day or time needed. Thank you for being a return guest!
WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This review is going to be long, as I have a lot of good things to say about the HGI. We stayed here for the Bon Jovi concert at Q Arena. I got the AAA rate ($103 a night for 2 adults/1 child). First off, I have to say the staff were VERY friendly and helpful. We had a NS room on the 9th floor overlooking Carnegie Ave with 2 Q beds, micro, fridge, coffeemaker, hairdryer and iron/ironing board. The room was very clean and didn't have the usual hotel odor as I call it (cleaning products or trying to mask an odor with something else). The beds were super comfy and had extra pillows. I thought the actual glass drinking glasses, real coffee mugs, and Bath and Body Works/Neutrogena toiletries were a nice touch. I understand the hotel was fully booked during my visit, and I have to say not once did I hear a peep from any of the rooms surrounding me, or the entire floor for that matter. The hotel is within walking distance of Q Arena (if you're standing outside the doors of the Carnegie entrance it's about 1 1/2 blocks to your left and then one block to the right). It's also darn near across the street from Progressive Field (home of the Cleveland Indians). They offer a free local shuttle and we used it to get to the arena. We walked back after the concert and it only took a few minutes. We felt very safe, as there were other people walking back to the hotel and the police were at every intersection helping direct traffic. As far as food goes, we did not eat at the restaurant located inside the hotel but from what I saw the food looked pretty good. I did like the 24 hour Pantry located next to the front desk. We were able to get some microwave popcorn and drinks so we could have a snack after the concert. I also liked the fact they have a gated parking area that requires the use of your room key card to go in/out. The lot is right in front of the hotel (or if you're calling the Carnegie side the front then it's behind the hotel) and is monitored by hotel security. I don't mind paying $16 to park my car at a hotel when I know it's being watched. Some other hotels I've stayed at charge you to park your car on a lot located upwards of a block away. There is a Subway across the street and a gas station at the corner. I will mention that there is some sort of clinic across the street, and based on the foot traffic in and out of it I kind of wondered if it was a drug treatment center. One other thing, we thought the heat/air in our room was broken because when we turned it on it did nothing. However, we looked around before calling the front desk and found there is a thermostat on the wall by the bathroom which operates the system. The heat did make some noise when kicking on, but nothing that was loud enough to wake you once you were asleep. I would definitely stay there again!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Now that's a review! Thank you for spending the time and typing out such an excellent review on your stay with us. It is greatly appreciated. Please know your comments and feedback have been posted in our team member cafe' for all staff members to see. Hope to have you back again soon Take care and thanks again!!!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The downtown hotel is located walking distance from the sport venues, casino and restaurants. The reason you stay here is to have access to that or to see clients in the area. The hotel was average when you consider the overall appearance. It needs a good cleaning, but was acceptable considering I was staying here to be able to walk places. My bed was older - no new firmness adjustment. The room was well worn, but not to the point of needing a complete overhaul. The bathroom was the larger one you expect from a HGI. There was a refrigerator in the room and a microwave. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!