“Precision craft -- consistent quality food and ingredients, lunch included” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pura Vida by Brandt

Pura Vida by Brandt
170 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pura Vida by Brandt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,667 restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ontario
Transit: Euclid Coridor located across the street.
cleveland
“Precision craft -- consistent quality food and ingredients, lunch included”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Sometimes, I think the second string kitchen puts out lunch in many restaurants. Not here. There is no second string staff as far as I can tell. The plates are consistently well prepared and beautiful, not matter day or night. And the staff is not only helpful, but knowledgable, no matter whether you're sitting inside, outside or at the bar.

My most recent adventure -- Friday lunchtime -- was at the suggestion of our waiter (and I forget his name, sadly, because he was especially good at what he does) and something I usually wouldn't order -- sweet and sour tofu. It came with bamboo rice and lots of vegetables. Doesn't sound thrilling, right? But perfect tiny carrots -- that could have been photographed for any foodie magazine -- and mushrooms were the true stars of this sweet, spicy, savory meal. And then the tofu had be fried to perfection...little pillows of crispy outside, soft inside. Everyone would go vegan if they could eat like this.

This is a great place for a first date, a first anniversary or a 40th anniversary. Equally suited to a business meal, girl's night. And for whatever reason, I always feel like I'm in a Toronto restaurant (not Cleveland, not NY, not Chicago) when I'm there.

Applause to Chef Brandt and his staff.

Also -- the floors above the restaurant and being turned into condos...but the restaurant will not be impacted, according to the staff.

• Visited June 2014

92% Recommend
Warren, PA
“Casual eating by the Square.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We were very pleased with the suggestion by our concierge at the Cleveland Marriott to try the Pura Vida restaurant, located on the main city square, near the Tower complex. It's a short walk from the hotel and has outdoor seating for warm weather.
The décor was pleasant, especially for an old downtown building. The staff was extremely helpful with descriptions and special requests, service was prompt but not rushed, and the manager talked with us at length (our first time there).
Two separate menus were presented, one of which was completely vegetarian and the other a mixture of all sorts of American and international dishes, many with local ingredients. The wine list was good and not over-priced.
We will definitely go there again when we're in Cleveland.

Visited May 2014
ny
“Great choices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Lots of interesting choices, especially for people who prefer vegetarian options. The dessert was particularly delicious (a smores type of dessert). Enjoyable dinner.

• Visited April 2014
Wadsworth, Ohio
“Just average, not the experience I was hoping for ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Mixed feelings on Pura Vida. Went with several others on a recent stay in Cleveland. Waitress was knowledgeable and helpful. Ordered the smoked brisket stroganoff. Brisket was tasty but the flavors in the dish did not mesh. Probably because meal was served lukewarm and one dish meals need to be served hot. My food looked like it had been sitting for a few minutes before being served. With so many choices downtown will be difficult to try again. Hope things improve and will keep my eye on Trip Advisor for more reviews because I really wanted to rate higher, but for these prices there is improvement needed before I can do that.

Visited March 2014
“Tasty Unique Spot in Downtown Cleveland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The concierge at the Marriott directed us here. From the outside it was nondescript, we almost missed it. Once you enter it has a great appearance and atmosphere with a friendly looking bar.
Small wine list with good prices. The appetizer of queso and warm tortillas was quite unique. The pork chop rates up there with one of the best ever. I asked our server which was better the pork chop on chicken and dumplings….trust me order the pork chop ….the dumplings were a miss and the chicken was dry. The burgers looked outstanding , and as one of our party stated ,it was one of the best burger they’d had. The Salmon was perfectly cooked. As for dessert, the smores pie was also quite unique and tasty. All in all this is a spot I’d go back to. If staying at the Marriott ask for one of the discount offers.

• Visited March 2014