“Convenient & Friendly Near Cleveland Clinic” 4 of 5 stars

Rock Hall of Fame Weekend
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Convenient & Friendly Near Cleveland Clinic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

You can't ask for a more convenient Hotel than this Double Tree near both the Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve University. The parking is extra at $16 for self park or $19 for valet. All of the staff people we dealt with were very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is a renovated older hotel and I always like reuse of old buildings as opposed to the new cookie cutter models. Our room was very large, and the furnishings were pretty cool. The only complaint I would have was the shower pressure was really bad. I don't know if that was just my room, the time of day or a standard problem. In any event, this is a pretty interesting place that is pretty well run.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Stephen P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton the Tudor Arms Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are so humbled by your comments regarding our service staff and the quality of our rooms. We can’t wait to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We went to an event at this hotel and decided to stay the night. The banquet room was amazing and the staff there did a great job. The room we stayed in was beautiful as well and very comfortable. My only complaint was we were supposed to receive free valet with the event we were attending but were told that doesn't count if we stay the night so were charged $20 to pay which I think is absurd..we are giving you MORE business by staying overnight so you charge us more. And the staff at the counter gave us a bit of attitude about it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the valet charges you encountered during the event you attended at our hotel. I apologize if the charges were not clear. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our hotel. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind.

columbus, ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We came in for a wedding and decided to upgrade to a junior suite which worked out great. The upgrade was only cost a little more and gave us a whole extra room and since we had a baby that was ideal. They also had shuttles going to the local attractions and the wedding reception was at the Museum of Natural History so we had that available and didn't have to hail taxis. Without the shuttle and if you didn't drive, you are at a taxi service's beck and call. The unique thing was all the rooms were a little different in size and offering - it definitely isn't cookie cutter. They were also clean which was key. The staff was accommodating and we had our share of problems in the 2 day stay. Our toilet overflowed and it took a while for them to take care of it. They sent a guy up and he looked at it, then went to get a towel to clean up, then got a bucket to clean after that. Why didn't he just bring it up to begin with? The food was expensive, the bar closed EARLY, and they charge for parking. The bed room of the suite was freezing (we stayed the end of December), however they did bring us up a fireplace heater which was perfect. Other guests were saying their rooms were cold as well. Overall, it wasn't stellar but it was fine for the occasion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to fill out a review and to give us your feedback. Our guest’s feedback is very important to us since we can use it to analyze and correct any possible negative issues and reinforce what is good. The team at Tudor Arms hotel is quite proud of the consistent and excellent customer service they provide and those issues you encountered with the HVAC unit are certainly being address. Our goal is to build life long relationships with our guest. Please accept our apology and know we have passed your comments on to the appropriate department heads.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Very nice historic hotel in an out of the way location. The old building is beautiful and the modern decor is an interesting departure from the mundane. Smallish room was beautiful, comfortable and nicely appointed. The staff was nice and accommodating but not solicitous. This was our first time in Cleveland, so at first the location seemed to be very isolated and removed from downtown, but we soon learned that it is very easy to get downtown and very close to Little Italy and Cleveland Heights, both fantastic neighborhoods. Lawrence recommended a great restaurant in Little Italy for dinner and printed out clear directions for us.

The only issue I had was with the entrance to the hotel. There are a lot of steps to get into the lobby area and the nondescript doors inside the main entrance were not very welcoming and were confusing ("is this the entrance? Where is the front desk?")

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton the Tudor Arms Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are so humbled by your comments regarding our service staff and the quality of our rooms. we our working on addressing the front entrance. We can’t wait to welcome you back.
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The Tudor Arms is a fine, albeit slightly odd, property. The updated rooms are clean and modern and the staff is polite enough. The big problem, however, is its isolated location. There's nothing nearby so if you don't have a car, there's no reason to stay here, since parts of the area around the hotel are dicey and you shouldn't be walking around there at any hour of the day.

We had some tasty middle eastern food from the hotel restaurant but its hours are limited (it closes by 11pm) so think hard before you stay here without a car. There is a free shuttle but it's not always ready to go when you are and its hours are limited.

Limited: that's a good word to describe this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Stephen P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Tudor Arms Hotel by Doubletree. We’re glad you enjoyed our hotel and found our staff to be friendly. I want to assure you our hotel is in the very safe and secure University Circle neighborhood. Our Hotel is ideally located within minutes of many University Circle area cultural institutions like the world famous Little Italy Neighborhood. Within a 3 minute shuttle ride you can spend an interesting day at Severance Hall, The Cleveland Museum of Art and the Natural History Museum or take a relaxing stroll through the beautiful Cleveland Botanical Gardens. On behalf of all of us at Doubletree by Hilton the Tudor Arms Hotel, we thank you.
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My husband and I had to make a quick trip to the Cleveland Clinic for a family member. We had the king sized room and the size of the room was more than adequate. The furnishings were sparse in the modern minimalistic decor, but adequate. The hardwood floors were nice. The bathroom was smaller than past Doubletrees I have stayed at.

The service at the front desk was impressive. My husband and I planned to go to The Towers and decided to try out the Metro system. Mickey, I think is her name, printed out the schedules and her colleague gave us tips on how to get to various areas. That was very unexpected. In addition, when we were making arrangements for a taxi to take us to the airport from the hotel, one of the members mentioned that he always takes the metro to the airport. It was an easy call,,... $40.00 vs $5.00 and a straight shot to the airport. Their shuttle took us to the station, and off we went.

The station is about a ten minute walk or a three minute drive down the road.

Their shuttle will take you to and from the Cleveland Clinic and surrounding area within two miles.

NOTE: you have to take a taxi or limo to the hotel. if you take the taxi from the airport... after picking up your luggage at baggage claim, keep walking past the carousels following the signs to the TAXI. At the end of the building you will see a sign that says, See Taxi attendant. Go to the window, tell them the hotel you want to go to.
They will assign a cab and give you two receipts. One for the cab driver and one for you. On the receipt it states how much to pay the taxi driver, it does NOT include the tip. I always hesitate taking taxis in cities I don't know because of the ability to "drive around" and increase the charges. This system does not allow that. It cost $36.00 for the taxi.

Room Tip: Have Hilton Honors membership... you get better rooms. I keep this membership to get the better room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stephen P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel on TripAdvisor. We are so humbled by your comments regarding our staff and the quality of our rooms. We can’t wait to welcome you back.
Warner Robins, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We decided to stay at this Hotel due to the location being next to The Cleveland Clinic and my daughter was there for tests and treatment. Upon arrival we were greeted by Mitchell who was very polite and had such a pleasant smile and he was able to take care of my car, I HIGHLY recommend using the Valet it made things so much easier and they took excellent care of my car and was only 3 extra dollars a day (self parking is 16.00 a night valet 19.00).James the Bell Hop took care of our bags. They booked us the wrong room at first but James was able to actually get us the correct room and at a cheaper rate. Once James unloaded my luggage he went and got me a menu for room service and then showed me the shuttle scheduled and how to use it, he explained to me how to work the temperature control since it was freezing and he asked if I needed anything else.

The room was absolutely gorgeous, well w/ the exception of the strange art work but it wasn't too bad and all but one painting actually grew on me by the end of my stay. The bathroom had two sinks and a nice tub w/ removable shower head and robes and slippers waiting. The view was amazing, we had tons of windows and it really makes the room "pop". We had a suite so we had two TV's and for the most part the channels are basic, however I don't really watch TV so not a big deal. At times the noise from other guests woke me up but that isn't the Hotels fault, one note there are lots of sirens from ambulances because there is a ER near by but I got used to it rather quick. But my guests found them far more annoying. The rooms were cold but they have wonderful down comforters that are toasty warm.

Next we decided to go to the restaurant and it was small but quaint and there was a singer and a keyboard player playing soft music, I found it to be very loud and found conversation difficult because of the level but enjoyed it none-the-less. The food was really good, I ordered the Tilapia blackened w/ a wonderful creamy dill sauce,couscous and a salad. My guest had the same and we thoroughly enjoyed it, the fish was cooked perfectly and was so melt in your mouth delicious. However we found the dinner service to be very inconsistent the rest of our stay, one day it would be wonderful, the next not so great. Our last night there my guest ordered the Tilapia again this time the fish was over cooked (badly) crunchy and burnt and no dill sauce (we had to ask for it), my chicken was over cooked to the point of being rubbery and all our sides were wrong and it took forever to get the right food. For the price I was rather disappointed in the quality and next time will probably look for other dinning options. Breakfast was wonderful and room service was quick and most friendly. I had one major complaint, our breakfast came w/ a basket of pastries and we pulled those off our tray to save for later but Housekeeping removed them and we never got them so having paid for them I was not very happy and the complaint seemed to be ignored.

The Shuttle to and from The Cleveland Clinic was superb and the drivers very friendly and so helpful getting my daughter in and out of the Shuttle and in and out of her wheelchair. It is the main reason we chose to stay there and I am so glad we did because the shuttle got us everywhere we needed w/ no problems whatsoever. And when we would get back to the Hotel James would be there w/ a wheelchair waiting to assist my daughter and to wheel her up to the room. That was very impressive.

Checkout was fairly easy w/ the exception of a few mistakes on the bill but they were very quick to correct it and my car was pulled to the front and they helped me repack it and all in all I would definitely stay there again as would I recommend it to anyone. Maybe not the restaurant for dinner but for breakfast definitely! And James or The fabulous James as we now call him, he is worth his weight in gold and made our stay absolutely the best make sure to TIP him good!!!

Room Tip: Get a corner room with windows, the view is simply breath taking!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Stephen P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
We’re happy to hear from you and receive a wonderful review about your stay with us. I’m glad you liked our comfortable, spacious rooms as well as our delicious breakfast buffet. . I’ll let James know of your praise for his work and make sure she receives a special commendation for assisting you.We hope everything went well with your daughters visit at Cleveland clinic and if you have a follow up appointment we will welcome you to come and stay with us again.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!