“Jewel in the heart of University Circle” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rock Hall Weekend
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Asheville North Carolina
“Jewel in the heart of University Circle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We found the perfect hotel for exploring Cleveland's wonderful museums, botanical gardens and more! The Doubletree Tudor Arms is an amazing piece of Cleveland's history and thank heavens it has been beautifully restored. It's also super easy to get downtown or out to other east side spots from their location, too. The staff was consistently and genuinely helpful and friendly! Carzel, who checked us in, was great: very patient, thorough and friendly. Jasmine at checkout was super, too. We were traveling with 2 friends who plan non-profit events all around the state and they were also impressed with the function spaces on the 2nd floor which are 2 wonderful ballrooms each restored with tons of character. We booked our reservation when we couldn't get into one of our usual downtown hotels and found our stay here every bit as enjoyable, too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Stephen P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel on TripAdvisor. We are so humbled by your comments regarding our service staff exspecially carzel and jasmin and the quality of our rooms and Ballrooms. We can’t wait to welcome you back, hopefully very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had reserved a room at this location as part of a block of rooms reserved for my cousin's wedding. The hotel was very busy and crowded that evening as there was actually a wedding ceremony and reception taking place there (not my cousin's). However, a large group of wedding guests from my cousin's wedding were waiting for the scheduled transportation to take us to the reception location nearby. It was extremely cold and raining that evening and the lobby was packed with people. My family and I decided to wait for the next shuttle to come and get us.

However, we were PLEASANTLY surprised when the front-desk manager arranged for the HOTEL SHUTTLE to escort my family to the wedding reception! We were so appreciative! They escorted us with umbrellas in hand. Now, that is what I call, exceptional service!

The room was extremely contemporary and looked like it had been recently updated. The fresh baked cookies at check in were a very nice touch. Overall, we feel like we paid a reasonable price for reservation.

The elevators were a little slow, but like I stated earlier, the hotel was VERY busy the evening that we stayed. Also, it was a little chilly in our room, but this hotel is "antique" and the heating systems may be affected by the age of the building.

Would stay here again if I were ever had to return to the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your pleasant stay with us at Tudor Arms Hotel. We’re glad you liked our hotel and found it to be in a great location during your family members wedding. It sounds like you had a very busy weekend, so I’m pleased that we were able to provide a comfortable place for you to rest. We’re also happy to hear you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. Cleveland has many more attractions to offer so I hope you’ll come back for another visit and stay with us again soon.
Becket, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My best advice for a visit to the the hospitals or CWRU is to skip this place and go to the Intercontinental Suites. Tudor was an old dragon of a building. Developers put a lot of money into a renovation, and it's still an old dragon. First impression in the lobby is a dreary, unwelcoming space. The check- in desk is still unfinished after months, and the desk staff was unfriendly and careless when I arrived. Look into the restaurant, and you will not be attracted to eat there. The halls upstairs already look thirty years old, drab and dimly lit. The room, however, is creatively designed with wood floors, art deco furnishings, unique lamps with lots of light, and an attrative marble bath with glass enclosed shower. But there's No Air! They sealed the old windows. The HVAC is set centrally, or does not work at all, and the thermostat is inscrutable and unresponsive, with no directions. Stifling all night long. Room service dinner was timely, fairly good for microwaved pasta with overcooked shrimp, but, like the room, very overpriced. $40 for dinner, $179 senior rate for the room, plus tax after tax after tax, the new normal. The only other attraction is location, location, location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found our location convenient enough for your needs. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Brenham, Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We just stayed 3 nights at this hotel. The room was huge! Two double beds with a separate sitting area. Very clean, relatively quiet. The valet parking is expensive, $19 per day, especially when you consider this hotel is not near downtown. The valets were efficient and we never had to wait long for the car and they were very pleasant. The Bar on the main floor was very nice and the service was good. We did find Little Italy to be close and was an interesting historic area. We had a pre-paid rate of about $135 per night and for that price this hotel is a very good option if you do not mind driving back into the downtown area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side have a view of downtown Cleveland, but also look over the Cleveland Clinic pa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We’re happy to hear from you and receive a wonderful review about your stay with us. I’m glad you liked our comfortable, spacious rooms. I was also thrilled to hear that you enjoyed University Circle historical Little Italy Distric during your stay. We hope you enjoyed your time in Cleveland and we welcome you to come and stay with us again
TORONTO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed in August 2012 with our 4 kids. The rooms are spacious and very nicely decorated. I did not like the sliding door on the bathroom. Although it was trendy and nice to look at It kept comming off the rollers and didnt offer 100% privacy. They made an error and gave us the wrong room (smaller) but it was rectified immedialy and with a smile. The room was very noisey because there was a hospital 1 block down and the sirens were loud and often. That was really the only major downfall of this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking your time to write a response on Trip Advisor for us. While you seemed disappointed with aspects of your stay I am happy to hear that you found our Front Desk staff helpful. We will work to improve our products and services and again I thank you for your time
Orrville, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I booked a weekend in Cleveland and stayed at the Tudor Arms Hotel. The guest services staff were awesome. I wanted a room with a bathtub and was given one with a shower only. The staff immediately made the change, came up to the 11th floor with our keys and walked us to the new room. Our room was stunning, immaculate, comfortable and warm. The restaurant and bar were immaculate, the food was delicious and the service excellent. We loved the Valet crew as well. Our waiting time was never more than 2 or 3 minutes and the valets were extremely polite, professional and all had big smiles. In the day and age of reviews, I think it's important to state that the management and staff at this hotel go above and beyond. We will definitely come back and will tell everyone we know to visit as well. This is a real review from a real customer. Thanks again for a great weekend. Go BROWNS!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephen P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Tudor Arms. We’re glad you enjoyed our hotel and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I appreciate you letting other viewers know of your nice stay with us and recommending our hotel to future travelers. We hope you will have an opportunity to return to Cleveland and stay with us again.
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

If you are a boutique hotel fan, as I am, you will love it here. If you are confused by the conflicting reviews of the Tudor Arms Hotel, as I was when I read them, then read on. After reading the reviews and then staying at the Tudor Arms by Doubletree, I figured out why the reviews are so conflicting. If your expectations are of a typical Doubletree hotel then you will find a lot to be critical about. But if you want an out of the box, great experience for a very reasonable price, then this is a wonderful choice. I also want to point out 90%+ of the reviews talk about the wonderful staff and the comfortable beds and it is all true. This can make or break a service business like a hotel.
I was greeted by friendly smiling faces from Edwin at the door to Jasmine behind the check in desk. (Happy birthday, Jasmine!). By the time I left the check in desk, Jasmine and I had already hugged twice. Once because she wished me well on my mission to get a family member treated at the Cleveland Clinic across the street and then because I wanted to wish her a happy birthday a day early. The hotel car and driver took me and picked me up from wherever I needed, whenever I needed, all for free. I had called to book the afternoon before my arrival and they succeeded in their efforts to have a room ready for me several hours earlier than their stated check in time so that I could drop off my luggage and make it to our appointment at the clinic on time. That was impressive!!!
The building is obviously a period architectural style and was converted into a hotel so there were limitations created by converting an older building into a modernly comfortable hotel. It was done with lots of thought and good design and, especially in the lobby, the building's original design was preserved. I love that! Yes, there are stairs to walk up to the lobby but there is an elevator only steps away to take up anyone who can't manage the stairs or heavy luggage. Personally, I like putting my legs to use. The rooms are treated with a contemporary, funky flair. Where there was no room to install a bathroom door that swings open, they utilized an industrial style, hanging shoji looking panel, made out of heavy wood and frosted glass, that slides on exposed heavy duty steel rails and moves on wheels.(Restoration Hardware style). It is awesome. A big full framed mirror hung on one wall and there was so much lighting throughout, that I could read just about anywhere in the room. The windows are double treated with roman shades and drapes so you can control the outdoor light to your liking. The shower was the walk in type and the bathroom walls are lined with marble of an amber tint. The headboard on the bed was heavily padded and covered in leather and ergonomically designed so that you could comfortably lean up against it to read. The atmosphere of the rooms is trendy with a mind towards comfort. I could not believe the comfort and the details for the price!!
Lest the reader think that I was hired by the hotel to write this, I will mention 2 things that could use improvement. Do something to prevent the personal care items that you provide from sliding off the bathroom shelf and into the toilet. Yuck! And what about the artwork??? It doesn't work with the decor. Colors and scale are all wrong and a bit disorienting. I hate to see such wonderful room atmosphere be killed by the too obviously mismatched art. Even photographs would be better than what is there.
The bottom line is, I would stay there again in a minute and I would recommend it to friends of any age.

Room Tip: As some reviewers pointed out, not all rooms here are equal. I was on the 10th floor and loved it. I...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Stephen P, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton the Tudor Arms Hotel as your hotel of choice during your last visit to Cleveland. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your room, with all of its unique amenities. I’ll let jasmin know of your praise for her work and make sure she receives a special commendation for assisting you. We will certainly be looking forward to our next opportunity to serve you when your travels next bring you to Cleveland, either on business or pleasure.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!