“Amazing value, Over and Above Service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
New Haven, Connecticut
“Amazing value, Over and Above Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I booked a suite and a double for a post-bridal shower/bachelorette weekend. The building is gorgeous and glamorous feeling, with beautiful paneling in the lobby and hardwood floors in the rooms. I absolutely loved the contrast between the historic structure and the colorful modern art--did not feel out of place at all! Like a previous poster mentioned, the beds (down comforter, fluffy pillows, etc) were exceptional. The desk and vanity were marble-topped, and our rooms also had rain showerheads in addition to the regular showerheads--who needs a spa! The rooms were also very clean, not one hair or speck of dirt! Again, like the previous poster mentioned, our service was excellent. Very personable and helpful staff at the front desk who showed us around the hotel and helped us to our rooms. I will definitely stay here again, and I will recommend this hotel to my friends!

Room Tip: Our suite was worth the $10 upgrade from a standard double--it had an additional seating area with p...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
New Castle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I just got back from a 3 night stay at the Tudor Arms Hotel in Cleveland Ohio. What a wonderful 3 nights. The rooms were spacious. I love the hardwood floors, and the bathroom was so nice!! The beds are to die for. If I had one at home, I'd have a hard time getting out of it to go to work. The manager told me that the beds and the bedding can all be purchased by consumers. Anyhow, the hotel is beautiful, the restaurants are very nice and the food is good. The best part is the hotel staff!!! Everyone was so nice and accommodating. They spoke to you like they knew you all your life. I had a situation when we took the shuttle downtown. Coming back at 9 at night, we got on the wrong Hilton shuttle, the one for the Hilton Lakeside. The shuttle driver would not take me to The Tudor Arms Hotel, although it is a sister hotel. I called The Tudor Arms and the manager, Steven, came and picked us up!! He even stopped at Popeye's for us!!! That is service!! And we certainly enjoyed our time and personal service he gave!! He was a great conversationalist and fun to be with!! I was also impressed with the shuttle service. The poor driver circled around downtown and when we got back he was just getting back and was relieved to see us because he had been looking for us. How nice to know in a strange city that your hotel is looking for you! I found the valet service to be excellent! They not only parked your car and brought it to you quickly, but would call for the shuttle if you were standing more than 5 minutes waiting. I would not stay anywhere else in Cleveland, as long as the Tudor Arms has service like this!! And by the way, the rooms were very clean. I had a smoking room and was impressed that it did not stink of smoke. Keep it up Tudor Arms!! You are doing a stupendous job for the middle class traveler!! We have top notch service, nice clean rooms all at an affordable price. I would recommend everyone to stay at the Tudor Arms! I forgot to mention, that throughout my stay, I never once heard other guest coming or going to their room, it was so quiet and private. I really appreciated that!

Room Tip: The suites are great and not much more than a standard room. You have space to move arouond.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This historic hotel is the former City Club for the likes of Rockefeller and Carnegie. It has very modern furnishings and artwork while preserving the historic details of the building. It was very comfortable and convenient. The staff had a proactive, positive, cheerful attitude. All of them! The shuttle took us anywhere within a 2 mile radius so we were able to easliy get the museums and picked up again. The Cleveland Clinic, the Universities and the RTA are all within easy reach. We had a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: They still allow smoking rooms so be sure to request non smoking if you want it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Columbus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Had a very nice stay at the Doubletree Tudor Arms this Memorial Day weekend. Love, love, love that they used an old building rather than put up something character-free and bland. There's still some polish to add, and some of the decor mixes modern and Tudor a tad unsuccessfully, but still. Plaster walls, wood-carved panels, giant old chandeliers, and wide open spaces make for an elegant, old-world feel. Comfortable, actually, too. My kids -- 6 & 9 -- loved running around the ballrooms and balconies. We had them to ourselves!

Our suite was huge. The living room was so spacious that two chairs, a bit sofa, plus a built-in t.v. stand were rather dwarfed by the space. Seemed a bit unfinished, but great for the kids to twirl around. Our Double-Tree bed in a giant bedroom was fabulous. We had an entire wall of big windows, and all four of us curled up on the bed and read while we looked up to daydream and enjoy the 9th floor view from time to time. We had hardwood floors--lovely, actually--which was great for the most allergic family in America. Doesn't dampen much sound, though. But still, liked it a lot.

The staff was unfailingly cheerful, helpful, and friendly. We have well-travelled cheerful kids, who aren't unruly, but who do ask a lot of questions and press a lot of elevator buttons. Staff was fabulous with them. Check in was easy. Valet service was speedy (but pricy. Really? $17/night?) and friendly-ish. Seems like the hotel still has to grow into itself a bit but all in all the staff really puts their best face forward and makes you feel welcome.

On to the crazy room designers these days, who apparently don't stay in the rooms they design. If you're going to go to the trouble of a fantastic, detailed renovation, how about sound-proof windows? I mean, the hotel is right in the middle of University Hospitals and the Cleveland Clinic. Can you say "ambulance at 3am?" Particularly in a room without any carpeting, sound proofing, or at least sound-dampening would have been wise. The glass panel in the shower in lieu of a shower door? Looks GREAT before you use the shower. Once you've used the shower, though, and the water is all over the floor because it only covers like half the spray area and there's soap crud on the glass? Well, hmmmm....Not so functional. The rolling panelled door on the bathroom? REALLY? People like privacy in the bathroom, not a door that your kids flap back and forth. The roller stuck; and water and soap it the door anyway thanks to that weird shower glass panel. Here's another thing about a rolling door. You can't hang anything on it! Four people in one bathroom with one small towel rack and four wet towels. Sigh. Just dumb.

I'd stay here again, absolutely, though. Would be nice to be able to walk to coffee or food, but Cleveland Heights is a hop, skip, and a jump away. It's a 10-15 minute walk to University Circle. I quibble, though. For the friendly staff, the giant rooms, the ballrooms, and gorgeous renovation it's worth a bit of water on the bathroom floor.

Room Tip: One bedroom suite (908) HUGE with great views
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Berea, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

I have to say, the staff was absolutely wonderful. At one point, they had all the shuttles going to take a swarm of guests downtown and just couldn't keep up so the night manager drove us in his own personal car to make sure we made it for our dinner reservation. That is dedication!! What a wonderful team the doubletree has, they should be proud.

• Stayed April 2012
On The Road
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

OK, before I say anything about the hotel - I first have to comment on parking. I HATE.... and I mean HATE Valet parking. I travel a lot for work, and once I get situated in a car I don't like to worry about hiding things, taking things out, moving things around, and worrying about what I might need to get out of my car that would require me to ask for my car, just to get something small out of it (like a phone charger). I like to have access to my car - I don't like it to be driven off to some unknown location - and YES, I realize the valet parking is right next to the hotel... but I don't like the feeling of handing over keys. That being said, I may not have stayed at this hotel if I had known that valet was the only option offered through the hotel.

That being said, I DID find that it was fairly simple and reasonably convenient to park in the Cleveland Clinic parking garage that is in the next block (total of a 2 block walk due to where the hotel is situated, and the where the exit of the garage is situated - I think it was either $8.00 - $10.00 a night for parking there.) Was it a pain in the rear to walk... no, until the day I checked out when there were winds that rivaled a video clip from the weather channel of hurricane footage. I'm not lying, I saw the wind rip a flag right off of the pole! I could barely cross the street, it was insane! I have renamed the city Clevewind. Clever... I know ;)

Now on to the hotel - WOW - what a beautiful property! When I was checking the hotel out online prior to arrival I looked at the Google Maps Street-view. REALLY? This place was a total dump that very easily could have fallen to the fate of the wrecking ball in our 'tear it down and build a new one' society in the US. BUT once again WOW - Thank goodness the developer saw the grand beauty that is the Tudor Arms Hotel and saved such a treasure and preserved it for generations to come! The hotel, especially the ballrooms and banquet space is absolutely one of a kind.

The lobby is nice, not 'incredible' - but it is beautiful. The front desk really should have been situated differently in the lobby - it really disrupts the flow of traffic through the lobby to have the front desk 'kiosks' in the middle of the floor in the entry, BUT to have access to a rear office, I understand why it was situated the way it was.

Check in was simple, but the front desk staff needs to learn to ignore a phone call to handle a human being in front of them. A guest in front of you is more important than an unknown need on the phone - simple rule of customer service that is violated all too easily. Instead of making me wait 15 minutes to check in....... silence the phone, or redirect the call with the press of a button - don't make a person stand in front of you, and watch you take care of someone else over the phone - it is very rude.

Next - the elevators are ancient, so they take a few minutes longer than newer - but in light of the historic nature of the property, it comes with the territory.

The hallways are bright and well lit - very nice color scheme, and they are kept very tidy.

The walls in the hotel are a little thin - so noise travels easily between rooms.

The rooms are very energy efficient in some aspects, but definitely not in other (like the single pane of glass in the windows). There is a switch to power down the entire room, and a switch to provide enough light to make entry into the room comfortable and provide a sense of safety.

The floors are beautiful, while not original, they are traditional yet trendy. You don't find many hotels with hardwood floors!

The decor is both traditional in a sense, but very modern, sleek, and contemporary in another sense. Beautiful throughout!

The bathrooms are interesting, the door is a sliding door - it does have a latch to somewhat lock it - but the lock doesn't function very well, as most sliding door locks do not work well. The bathroom is very small - one person only. There IS NOT a ventilation fan in the bathroom - and as you may well know, a vent fan serves two functions.... it pulls smells out, and pulls moisture out... so the rooms gets extremely humid after a shower, especially since there is not a door on the shower, it is just a glass wall. When you get out of the shower there is so much condensation on the mirror, and the exterior windows that the hotel is going to deal with a serious mold issue in just a few years. With condensation like I saw on the inside of the exterior windows the window sills are going to rot quickly! The bathroom is beautiful, and the shower tile is very elegant natural stone.

The bed was extremely comfortable, but the hvac system is one of the interior mount high wall micro units - the way the air moved in the room there was a constant breeze on the bed. For some that may be a great thing, for other it will keep them up all night. I know I woke up with a headache and stuffy nose.

Due to being a HHonors member I received vouchers for free breakfast which was a full buffet - and I must compliment the culinary staff at this hotel - I travel very frequently for work, so I have a lot of 'free' breakfast experiences and this, by and large, is the absolute best breakfast I have ever had at a hotel. Everything that was supposed to be hot was hot, everything that was supposed to be cold was perfectly chilled. I didn't care for the coffee, but I am not a true coffee snob - I don't like Starbucks and similar coffee as I find it too acidic and bitter. Anyway - everything else was perfect.

If you are looking to hold an event at the hotel in one of the ballrooms, DO IT. The ballrooms are by far among the most beautiful I have ever seen. This building must have been a true high society gather place in the heyday of this area of Cleveland. From the carved wood, to the masterful plaster work, to the leaded windows - it is all exquisite! If you listen carefully, the echoes of the likes of the Glenn Miller Orchestra and his contemporaries still ring throughout the space (OK, I am a bit of a dreamer)

The hotel is beautiful, and is an exceptional value. It has all the style, grace and charm of an old building - but has been decorated with some updated very contemporary art and fixtures. I find the fusion of the two styles very appealing.

I would have ranked this hotel as a 5 were it not for the parking situation, and the less than warm greeting at the front desk upon check in. Minor issues overall, but issues none-the-less.

Room Tip: As to be on the back of the hotel if you are a light sleeper - the front of the hotel faces a very b...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Good Points about this property:

~Easy to find
~Friendly staff
~Great food
~Beautiful and comfortable rooms

What we did not like about this property:

~We requested an early check-in, and then I called to ensure we could get in early (check-in is at 4p; we scheduled a check-in for 2p). We arrived at 230-245p and the room was not ready. We ended up waiting until 330-345p before we could get into the room. The staff apologized and gave us two extra cookies, but because we requested an early check-in and called to verify it, the room should have been ready to go when we arrived

~We requested extra pillows and towels (again, we called the hotel to confirm this), but we did not receive any of our requests upon arrival. That being said, we determined we did not need them after getting to our room. However, if a request is made, I think it is important for the hotel staff to honor the request.

~The HiltonHHonors Web site (at this time) lists 'In-room movie Channel' under suite amenities. Imagine our surprise when we checked in to the hotel and were ready to relax and get a movie, to find that there wasn't an in-room movie channel. We called the front desk and were told that they did not have a movie channel even though the Web site stated it did. They did have several channels, including HBO, but HBO was playing Harry Potter that night (we are not Harry Potter fans....no offense to anyone who is...it just isn't our genre). We were extremely disappointed by this turn of events. My husband and I look forward to relaxing in our room, catching up on movies, and ordering room service, so this truly was disappointing. I have contacted Hilton to inform them of this issue (listing a service on the Web site that isn't actually offered at the hotel). So, if you are someone who likes to watch movies when traveling, this is not the hotel for you. I would advise that you call them first to verify whether or not they have added the in-room movie channel before booking.

Besides those three issues, the property is definitely beautiful; no doubt about it. If the in-room movie channel is not important to you, then you would probably be very pleased with this hotel. Just be sure to confirm with the staff if you have any special requests as they seem to have difficulty following through with requests.

Room Tip: Request a King Suite. It is well worth the price for the extra space!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton The Tudor Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!