“Tasting menu is very enjoyable, but too filling to finish each” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,667 restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Literary
Cleveland
“Tasting menu is very enjoyable, but too filling to finish each”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We enjoyed our 5-course Whim Tasting Menu experience, but at more than $60/person, we won't do this often. Even though portions were smaller than normal servings, and we felt obligated to finish each, we were stuffed before we got to the entree. This may have diminished our appreciation and completion of the third and fourth courses. I don't see how anyone can finish a 14- or 21-course in one night (there's also a 7)! To leave enough room in our stomachs, we could have skipped the complementary and delicious bread and fantastic hummus, but why pass up such a good thing?

The first course of tuna tartar was maybe too much of a good thing. I love sushi and sashimi, but I can't eat that much of it without rice. At a certain point, that much raw fish by itself stops being pleasant. The dish we got wasn't the same as the one on the regular menu, and I wouldn't order that again, though I might try the regular version in the future. One memorable dish that I liked was the buffalo mozzarella baked in phyllo dough. Delicious. The cavatelli was flavorful, though a tad over-salted. We were so uncomfortably full by then that we couldn't have more than a taste of the veal dish, but the leftovers the next day tasted even better. We did push ourselves to eat the desserts, and we enjoyed them very much.

Since this was the "Whim" menu (as in chef's whim), the dishes we got are not on the regular menu, so my opinions about them may not help you decide what to order. I do recommend you allow at least two hours for the 5-course. The space is beautiful and service was perfect. Our server did a wonderful job pairing each of the dishes with wine. The tunes playing on the speakers -- classic Talking Heads, Stones, and a few others -- showed good musical taste, though I prefer music played at a slightly less distracting, lower volume while I'm dining. We look forward to going back to try all of the dishes on the regular menu.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Bay Village, Ohio
“Impressive pasta, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful handmade pasta. Some of the best bolognese I've ever had. The blood orange and goat cheese salad was truly memorable. The staff was cordial. I was with friends who are regulars. How we were treated makes me want to be a regular. The high ceilings of the old bank ate beautiful , but make the acustics challenging.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cleveland, Ohio
“Our new favorite Cleveland restuarant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had a fantastic meal at Dante's and can't wait until we can go back again. I agree that it's expensive, but I felt it was well worth it. I can't mention just a few things, because we ordered many different tastings and appetizers and loved them all. I especially liked my entree of Pappardelle Bolognese and the Coconut dessert. The service was paced perfectly and our waiter was great. I really like the atmosphere and I would like to try the vault room. I've also heard that his restaurant in Akron is excellent, so I'm sure we'll be going there shortly.

• Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Fancy with a meat vault”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I got the 5 course meal with wine and damn that is a lot of food. Everything was fantastic. Great wine pairings with the dishes. I would recommend just hitting this place for a dish or two to share with drinks at the bar...2 or 12 times a year

The five course meal for $60 is to much food for me...shared would be perfect

Cleveland, Ohio
“one of my Cleveland's most favorite restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Having dined here 5 times already in the last 2 years (my go-to restaurant for special occasions), i can recommend it with confidence. Food has always been delicious, and the service has always been excellent. Recently, we tried the "late night noodle" menu just for fun. If you are motivated enough, I would recommend it. They serve it around 10:30pm after the kitchen closes (from the adjoining Japanese place-Ginko, which is quite good as well). We sat down around 9:30 and ordered some wine and appetizer. Then, waited until noodle time. Our waiter was very nice and accomodating. The restaurant is not very big and the tables can be cozy. But the food is excellent. Next time, I will try for the chef's tasting table.

• Visited March 2013