“just ok, and overpriced” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Albatros Brasserie + Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 1,669 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: French, Bar
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ford Drive
Transit: The RTA Health Line bus stops in University Circle at E. 115th Street. L'Albatros is located approximately 3 blocks from the bus stop.
Cleveland, Ohio
“just ok, and overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

A bunch of foodie friends and I went to this restaurant together. It was ok, atmosphere nice, but the food was way overpriced for what we received. Should have been amazing, but it was just good. None of us have gone back. Many other MUCH better places to eat in Cleveland.

Visited October 2013

Cleveland, Ohio
“Always a fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have been to l'Albatros several times and I always enjoy it. The "French Toast" is my absolute favorite, even if the name is a bit misleading (it's actually more of a mushroom bruschetta type dish and it's wonderful). I also really like their cocktails which often feature strong floral or herbal components. And off course they are known for their cheeses, a unique experience I highly recommend at least once. The cheeses are all displayed on a large board that they bring around to your table when you order. They will explain to you what each cheese is and where it comes from as well as its primary qualities. After you make your choices, they will cut it and plate it for you at the table. I think you can pick between 3, 5, or 7 cheeses and the choices change on a regular basis. It's a fun and interactive experience that is really good for sharing with friends or a date. It does add quite a bit of time to the meal, so I would make sure that you account for that if you have plans after dinner. Since the restaurant is so close to Severance Hall, many people make reservations for dinner before going to the orchestra and the cheese plate really should not be rushed.

• Visited September 2013
“Always consistent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have dined here several times and I am always satisfied. I love Z's interpatation of the classic French dishes I love. The also have a wonderful cocktail hour in the bar. If your looking for a salad and bowl of soup on a cold evening (yes, we are still in Cleveland). Although you could be in a French bistro.
For all you travelers, this place is a must.

University Heights, OH
“Lunch at L'Albatros: More Moderately Priced Option Than Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've been at L'Albatros with one or two friends several times -- maybe seven or eight times over the last three years, and now the waitstaff knows what we might order, and suggests alternatives, or tells us that they made sure they had our favorite desserts in stock, "save them for us," because one of us almost always orders the same dessert.

The food is excellent, and the atmosphere, especially on a cold winter day near the fireplace, or on a hot day inside in the air-conditioning, watching the crowd outside on the large patio, enhances the experience. A lot has been said about the chairs, but maybe someday they will replace them.

I have really enjoyed the tiger shrimp, some of the soups, the artichoke appetizer, the cheese platters, and some of the seafood dishes have been spectacular. Friends love the sorbets.

The real plus here is the service. It is not rushed, it is considerate and soft-spoken, it is not "forward," but restrained, and the servers, many of them local college students, have been taught to be polite, have a good knowledge of the menu and the food, and seem genuinely to enjoy serving the patrons.

I've seen good service in many restaurants. The service at L'Albatros is among the best I have experienced, and I have visited New York, Chicago, Toronto, and Detroit quite often. Cleveland is well-known for some great restaurants, but I have truly felt pampered at L'Albatros. I don't ask about wines very often, but I do ask questions about how the food is prepared, and I often ask for substitutions or "off the menu" combinations. This does not phase the staff at L'Albatros.

If you go, you will have a good time. The service is definitely attentive, the food is excellent. I would like to see a few more seasonal changes on the menu, but you know, there are things I would order over and over, and there are still things I haven't tried that I want to, so I can't complain too much about a menu that sometimes seems a little static. As I look around the restaurant, I can tell that others are really enjoying themselves, as well! I go to lunch there, because I don't think I can afford dinner often. They have no problem with us sitting and talking over coffee long after the table has been cleared. At dinner, I don't know if that would be the case or not.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Consistently Terrific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have been to L'Albetros many times; it remains one of my favorite restaurants in Cleveland. The last meal I had there was the Cassoulet which was the best I've ever had. The menu is a diverse collection of French Brasserie style foods; nothing too fancy or pretentious. The prices are reasonable as well.