“Very good food and nice patio” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Albatros Brasserie + Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,681 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: French, Bar
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ford Drive
Transit: The RTA Health Line bus stops in University Circle at E. 115th Street. L'Albatros is located approximately 3 blocks from the bus stop.
Asheville, North Carolina
“Very good food and nice patio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Great spot for an outdoor dinner on a beautiful summer night (and the inside is pleasant, too). Our sauteed skate wing was done perfectly -- not too much butter or balsamic vinegar, but enough to add some subtle flavor. The wine list veers toward the high end, but we were able to find a nice white French burgundy (Louis Latour Montagny) for under $50. The frozen Blood Orange-Grand Marnier souffle for dessert was sublime! If you happen to be staying at Glidden House (wonderful!), you'll be able to walk to dinner in under 5 minutes.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cleveland, Ohio
“Romantic setting-but don't plan on proposing there!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The food, attention to detail and the service are wonderful at this restaurant. Interesting, very authentic "old school" French cuisine. You would swear Julia Child is in the kitchen whispering in the chef's ear. My only complaint is that on the weekends the noise level is so loud that it is impossible to have an intimate conversation. But try it mid-week or go on the weekends and join in the revelry. Everyone there is clearly enjoying their experience.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cleveland OH & Wallace NC
“flawless!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We visited L'Albatros a week ago Saturday (8/23), with a large group of 12! From the moment we arrived we were given the utmost attn., as if we were their most important customers! The host made sure we got drinks, and kept us abreast of the status of our table. The wait staff was impeccable (where do they find these people?), the food was flawless: oysters, fois grai, trout, duck! Zac Bruell has the secret to running the best restaurants in town.

Visited August 2012
Willoughby Hills, Ohio
“Wonderful food and excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

What a superb restaurant for French food! The menu has outstanding selections of drinks and food. I had brought a special bottle of champagne for the business meeting we were having and the staff was so gracious in serving it at no extra charge. Our waiter was Bart and he was the epitome of "best waiter" just the right amount of attentiveness and helpful with any questions of the menu. This is a place to return to many times!!!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Braidwood, Illinois
“Gourmet food and a delightful experience at an affordable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I was looking for a nice restaurant to treat my parents to and L'Albatros exceeded all expectations I had - I can't wait till I go again and I can't speak highly enough of our experience, as the food and the service were just impeccable. I chose this place after reading other reviews, and it was better than I could have expected. We sat on the patio which was a charming little set-up. We started our evening with drinks and the French Toast appetizer - my parents went with white wine and I tried the Effen Herbs and Berries - a great drink which is a perfect mix of slightly sweet from the berries but balanced by the herbs. The French Toast is a must-try - it is delicious and savory yet delicate and fluffy and unlike anything I had ever tasted before and something I'll surely get next time I visit. We then tried 3 cheeses from the cheese board - I HIGHLY recommend this if you like cheese! A cheese expert will help you select cheeses based on ones you enjoy, and the price is very reasonable. I dipped my cheese and bread in the balsalmic syrup from the French Toast and it made for a wonderful cheese course. Next, I tried the French Onion soup (for only $3/cup, it is not only scores better than any soup I've ever tried but more affordable!) while my mom had the soup du jour, which was a sweet corn soup, and my dad had the salad of the day - an heirloom tomato salad which was absolutely amazing. We were all blown away. I could sip on the broth from the French Onion soup all day long. The use of fresh, seasonal ingredients in all the "of the day" dishes was wonderful, and every ingredient on the plate had a purpose and created a wonderful taste. We went with the veal short rib, a pork short rib (a special for the day), and the pasta du jour for the entrees. Everything was amazing. Althoguh I do not usually pass up wonderful meat dishes, I'd highly recommend the pasta dish. It seems like this place does no wrong, especially when it comes to their specials of the day. We went with the chocolate Napoleon for dessert, and it was amazing. Rich, delicate, chocolatey ... Everything we had over the course of our 2 1/2 hour experience was impressive and something I'd try again and recommend to others. Everything from the presentation, to the quality, the use of fresh and seasonal ingredients, and the combination of ingredients that all worked in harmony was just spot on - and the pricing is more than reasonable for what you get. You can go to some stupid chain restaurant like Olive Garden or Outback Steakhouse and pay near the same price for an entree, but you get so much more from L'Albatros. The taste, the presentation, the quality, the service - it is all monumentally better than most places that will charge the same price for entrees. I can't speak higly enough about the service we had and the quality of everything we tried. And the best thing is, is that this is the kind of place you can go to before a concert at Severance Hall or after an afternoon at the Cleveland Museum of Art, where you can sit out on the patio and enjoy a drink, a cup of soup, and some cheese and be on your way, or you can come for several courses and spend an entire evening here. The staff is amazing, the food is wonderful, the pricing for the quality of food they serve and the experience they provide is beyond reasonable. I highly, highly recommend!

• Visited August 2012