“Spectacular driving experience, but......” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 73 Attractions in Cleveland
Type: Parks, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Hop on a bicycle, lace up your running shoes or take your time strolling through any part of this scenic 60-mile long string of parks and garden areas.
Buffalo, NY
5 attraction reviews
“Spectacular driving experience, but......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My bride and I drove the Emerald Necklace on a sunny and warm Saturday morning early in June. With the top down in our shinny red Miata, we started at Beechwood, Ohio in Cleveland's southeast suburbs and drove this beautiful limited access parkway for more than 70 miles. Our drive ended north of the Cleveland airport on the city's west side just short of Interstate 90. A short drive on I 90 East brought us to the West Side Market for lunch at the Great Lakes Brewery.

The "necklace" connects many of the Cuyahoga County's regional parks (aka Reservations). There is a separate paved bicycle path that is parallel to much of "the necklace" and it was filled with cyclists, hikers, roller skaters, joggers and rollerbladers. What a delight to see this magnificent community asset getting so much use.

If you plan to drive "the necklace" here a couple of tips: The Visitor's Bureau and Trip Advisor call it the Emerald Necklace but nobody else does. At our hotel and at various area restaurants I made inquiries about the "Emerald Necklace", but no one seemed to know what I was talking about even though the parkway has been in place for almost 100 years! There is no "emerald necklace" signage that will let you know you on the right road. The available maps are no help. Cuyahoga Parks sent me beautifully detailed maps of the individual reservations but the one map showing an overview of the system and the connecting parkway was very poor. Part of the problem is that some of the road names on the map are different than what you find on the parkway and the road that you are on will change names when you traverse a cross street. In an effort to offer "full disclosure", I do not have a GPS though I wonder if one would be of much use since you really can't enter a destination. I spent a lot of time on Google Maps before I started this trip and I suggest you do the same. "The necklace" is no place to be if you are in a hurry. The speed limit is 30 mph and strictly enforced. I did not find a single place to pass throughout our 70 mile drive that took almost three hours after loosing our way a couple of times and for a brief time following a minivan full of kids doing 20 mph.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. We lead 13 roadsters for a weekday drive on "the necklace" next month. Pray for me.

Visited June 2014

Fairfax
13 attraction reviews
“Great picturesque park.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

The locals call the Emerald Necklace park the "valley" and it is beautiful even in the winter with snow and especially in the summer. Great hiking trails, parks, kayak rentals at Eddies Boat Dock Marina on the Rocky River near the mouth of the Lake Erie.

Visited May 2014
Cleveland, OH
9 attraction reviews
“One of the best attributes of Cleveland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Our kids our in the Adventure Club through the park system. It has gotten us to many parks we might not have checked out otherwise. Even better now that they have taken over some shore property too. Wherever you go in the city, you can find a nice park.

Visited May 2014
Portland, Oregon
15 attraction reviews
“Great park for just about anything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I used to drive my sports car through this park when I lived in Cleveland. It was nice to drive through it again this past spring. I wish I had my bike! It's beautiful, especially in the fall and It's so close to various cities and towns.

Visited April 2014
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
9 attraction reviews
“Can't appreciate it until you move….”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I traveled this "necklace" for years and even biked it once. Never really appreciated all it had to offer until I moved away and went back. When you live somewhere where parks are sparse you really do appreciate when there are some. Kinda makes you want to send some money to save a park, huh?

Visited August 2013