“Not horrid but not what I expect from Doubletree!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rock and Roll HOF Package
Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Kent, Ohio
“Not horrid but not what I expect from Doubletree!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a quick overnight get-a-way. I booked the Doubletree because I thought I would be able to count on it for a really positive experience. We stayed on the fourth floor.

The good: Friendly Service, upbeat and helpful at 11:45 at night. Parking was simple and the the cookies were warm and delish! The room was pretty clean, and the bedding was fabulous - I love the bed/bedding and didn't want to move out of it in the morning. The room was attractive, and the bedding/furniture looked high quality. The bathroom vanity was pretty and looked high quality.

The Bad: The hallways (fourth floor) were shabby and the impression was low end. I felt like I was walking down the hallway in a clean but low end hotel. The room door was a hollow metal door painted a dull brown. There was no significant seal around the door so there was a LOT of noise from the hallway. Zero sound proofing from the hall. The room was small for an American room, two queen sized beds. The bathroom was small and aside from the attractive sink it could have been any low-end Microtel type experience. I like staying at nice hotels because I look forward to a lovely bath - NOT tempted in this bathroom. The carpet and walls looked drab and only moderately clean. There were a few rooms full of young adults that came in when the nightclubs closed down and were having an after party. This wouldn't have been an issue had the rooms been more sound proof - but the low quality doors /walls again created the feel of being in a low end establishment.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Doubletree33, Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We do indeed get a lot of nice comments about our beds and it was good to hear you received great service. The hotel was decorated and renovated 2 years ago and the color scheme is a lot of dark browns and deep reds. It is good to get the feedback as we will obviously be renovating in the future. I look forward to having you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Dover, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. It's just not quite a five-star experience. However, for the incredibly low price we got through Expedia ($47/night for an "undisclosed" hotel), we were very, very pleased with the hotel.

The pros:
-Great location downtown with our room overlooking the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and lakefront.

-Free shuttle (tips are appreciated, of course) takes you anywhere downtown, and there are three "scheduled" shuttles out to the University Circle/Cleveland Clinic area (Art Museum, Botanical Gardens, Museum of Natural History, etc... as well as the hospitals)

-Staff was friendly, room was reasonably clean (could have done without the mold on the ceiling over the shower), tastefully decorated with a nice flat screen tv, towels and amenities were luxe, sheets and bed were very comfortable.

--Pleasant bar off the lobby, as well as a Starbucks and a little shop with snacks, etc...

--Covered, secure parking attached to the hotel.

The cons:
--Although Expedia advertised it as a 3.5 star hotel with a pool, the pool and hot tub were closed for our entire stay for scheduled maintenance. We would not have chosen a hotel without a pool. I'm not sure whether this was Expedia's fault or Doubletree's, but I think that Doubletree did try to make it up to us by giving us a room on a higher floor with a fridge in it, bathrobe, etc...

--You may wait a while for the shuttle as it's very popular. Also, our "scheduled" pickup at University Circle was nearly an hour and a half late which was very frustrating especially since the hotel kept assuring us that he would be there in just a little while. If they'd been straight with us about how long it would be, we'd have just called a cab. They did take off one night of our parking fee for the inconvenience. And let's face it, it's hard to complain too much about something that's free. (I do plan to let Doubletree know about the experience though, as something is wrong with the system there.)

--Parking is $16/night. On weekends, if you can snag a spot at one of the meters out front, apparently it's free, but we never saw a place open. Also, if you check out before you get your car, you can't get out of the garage without paying a second time. If you paid for it at the hotel, you have to use your room key to get out.

--I'm not usually a light sleeper, but it seemed like even though we were on the 15th floor, I was awakened by outside noise fairly often. Most nights it was just the trains that run past the hotel, but on one of the nights there was repeated VERY loud banging and crashing from a dumpster between our hotel and the next building over. My husband thought that maybe the office building across the way was having some floors' lightbulbs replaced or something, but it really made for a poor night's sleep. Hopefully, whatever it was was an unusual occurence.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed over night at the Doubletree after a downtown Christmas party so I wouldn't have to drive. This used to be the Holiday Inn, but changed brands in the last couple years. Overall, its a very good hotel. I got the room for $65 on Hotwire.com. I don't like paying really high prices to stay in a room so I usually use Hotwire and pick 3 star or above and I usually do pretty well. It is usually about $105-$120/ night.
Check-In was quick and courteous. Everyone gets 2 Doubletree cookies. (Very tasty chocolate chip.)

Room was a king. It was updated. Linens were white and clean. Internet worked fine. Didin't use the TV.

Parking is extra! Like $20 for the night in the gargage.

Didn't use any of the facilities like business center, gym or bar.

Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

Having drove cross country we stayed at a number of hotels, this was by far one of our favorites. We used priceline to get a great rate, and were pleasantly surprised to arrive at the hotel and find that all amenities were included in this price including free wifi, validated parking, and complimentary shuttle service to and from the hotel and local attractions. The room was very clean and comfortable with an enjoyable view. We did not check in until after 10 PM and ordered room service after 11 PM which was a bit pricey (as is any room service) but high quality and delicious. The staff was all very friendly and helpful. We would without a doubt stay here again if we are in the area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

My wife and I spent an evening downtown to get away the holiday stress. We took the day to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, out to dinner and a club. The Doubletree was really great. The room was large, newly decorated and very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
gorgeous hudson valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

We had done a trip from NY-Chicago, staying at The Hilton Garden Inn on our way to Chi to catch an Indians game and then onto a lovely stay at the Drake in Chicago and then return to Cleveland for the home opener of the Browns, then onto our state of NY.
I didn't really see anything great about the hotel except for the service. Front deas was accomodating. We could not check in early, so had to go to the game and be happy with our room upon return. The Cleveland Browns Stadiuma dn Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are within easy, easy walking distance, but the hotel does offer a shuttle.
Rooms were comfortable, view was enjoyable, since we faced a parking lot filled with Browns fans and beyon that, an airport and beyond that..water!
Being a Hilton Honors member, I would stay here again...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

So glad to see the eyesore of downtown Cleveland at 1111 Lakeside Ave gone & replaced with a new manicured, fresh windows, very chic interior. Large restaurant with an excellent chef & service. They are also part of reataurant.com that you get $25 off a $35 dinner which we had steak, twice baked potato & asparagus with a seasoned rolls that were refilled when the last one was taken. The steak was done perectly as was the potato that even he peel was great to eat.

Then I am seeing a cowboy with very chic boot of kidskin leather, going thru the service cupboard for a bottle of hot sauce. I whispered if he was picky aout his bloody mary & he tells me he needs to season his cancer drugs. I was shocked. A very well dressed gentleman that came & sat with us telling us he is a patient since November at Cleveland Clinic for prostate cancer that he plans to win the race as Scotty did. A big hug he got from me and he tells us that the 3rd floor is filled with patients & they drive them back to the Clinic for treatments. They have good sleeping, eating, and resting. Then he left for his appoinment with the nurse.

Then we go to drive home & the cars are covered with a foot of snow that is blowing away. The gal at the front desk tells us that we will not be ticketed or towed with roads closed with a CODE 2 gven by police, so no cars can be onthe road. She knew we paid for dinner with our HiltonHHonors card, so we are getting a night on them if we answer a survey on our stay. I agreed since I am a Mystery Shopper for Hilton & she makes a call & they tell her I am great. So we get a suite facing the Lake on the top floor. What a beautiful room, with liviing room with balcony, bedromm off the side with King bed, douvey, reading table in place, a 4 cup coffee maker next to the sofa in the living room with half n half on ice, coffee in packets for regular or decaf. The bathroom coould sleep another person, it is HUGE! Shower, bathtub that is a jacuzzi, toilet room with phone & mini desk that pulls off the wall.. All kinds of niceties from shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, bath crystals, bath salts, shoe shining, Suites get free laundry, so we took it just in case. We got a free breakfast with the agent doing the survey & verything was excellent. Like talking with a friend as we ate. She was amazed that we were not bothered by wind. We did not hear anything, so great insulation with the renovation done.

So enjoy a great spot to see the Rock Hall, Science Center & Browns Stadium which is down the street on E9th North in a row. Cros E 9th & visit the Cod submarine, Lakefront airport if you fly in.

I checked out regular room & it was very nice also.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside? Share your experiences!