“A few ups, a few downs” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rock and Roll HOF Package
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
buffalo, ny
“A few ups, a few downs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Pros: The room was very nice, modern decor. The bed was so comfortable, we wanted to take it home with us. An elevator from the parking garage takes you right to the lobby and the hotel had a shuttle service to take us to an Indians game. The hotel is insanely close to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. We had oringally booked a room in another hotel but had such a bad experience we left and came here. For $10 more a night it was like going from fast food to a 5-star restaurant. Well worth it. There was a pool, a decent fitness room, though I couldn't get the volume to work on the tv attached to the tredmill, in-room dining, a bar/grille in the lobby and a starbucks. 2 warm cookies (delicious) greeted us on arrival.

Cons: There was no mini-fridge or microwave. When I called to ask if we could get them, they said nothing was available til morning. I asked the rate to get either one and the guy said no charge. When I called the next day, I was told there was a $22 charge for the fridge and a $10 charge for the microwave. The elevators were buggy stopping at floors you didn't select and missing the one your room was on. Two were out of order one night of our stay. In-room dining was expensive as well as parking ($16 a night). Staff had a huge communication prolblem. My husband went to the lobby the last night of our stay to extend a night and they typed a few things and said 'all set'. The next morning he called down and it wasn't in the system, they said we were due to check out. He had to relay this info a third time as well. The phone in the room was broke creating two lines at once- it rang and beeped as I talked. I feel the fridge and microwave would've made a big difference because we liek to buy our drinks, water, and bring back take-out/leftovers from dining out. It's a rough economy and you gotta make the dollar stretch.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

It was located near the RRHOF, and within walking distance to Progressive Field, and the warehouse district.

We got a package for $99/nite, which included parking and breakfast buffet. The breakfast was great, with a chef making omelettes if you wanted them. But some of the buffet dishes weren't exactly clean so I had to search for a clean one. Also took the shuttle one night to Tremont which was nice since we didn't want to be driving. We also had a mini fridge in the room, which was unexpected.

The negatives were the elevators (very slow or out of service), front desk were not exactly friendly, and the bathroom could have been cleaner. The toilet seat was not very clean - it looked like the base and floor behind the toilet hadn't been cleaned in weeks.. We were there 3 nights, and the daily maid service consisted mainly of making the bed - no vacuuming or wiping off surfaces, or cleaning the toilet.

Overall a great value, but the cleaning staff need to be retrained.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Let's face it: Cleveland is boring so you better have a nice comfy room to stay in. The Doubletree was great - good location, friendly staff (they gave us an early check-in) and renovated rooms. I wish every hotel room I stayed in was like that.

Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

In a word, this hotel was filthy. We booked through HotWire, and paid only $50 per night, and it definitely was not even worth that cut rate. We parked in the adjoining garage, which has very tight spots and costs $16 per night. On the elevator ride down, my child commented that the elevator was similar to Tower of Terror. The common areas in the hotel were even worse. The halls were dark and unvacuumed. Room service was not cleared. There was debris that remained on the carpet the entire weekend (including apparently soiled tissues, and a fingernail right outside our door). The rooms were not as bad, but they were loud, and I wouldn't have dared to (1) drink out of the glasses; (2) use the coffee machine; or (3) sit on anything but the sheets.
The staff was generally pleasant, and the shuttle worked reasonably well if you were willing to be patient. However, the "cleaning staff" were quite willing to jump on the elevator with guests, and one gentlemen even flung his mungy mop over his shoulder on a semi-full elevator.
The restaurant was really bad, even for sandwiches (we had, among my family, a hamburger, a fish sandwich, a caeser salad, and an italian meat sandwich, and all were nasty). Avoid the hotel generally - I don't care how cheap it is - but particularly avoid the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

We arrived at the airport and took the red line train to Tower City. $2.00 each. It was too late to take the trolley to the hotel from there, so we called for a hotel shuttle pick up, as we had our luggage. The shuttle from DoubleTree came within 15 min. After checking into our room on the 10th floor overlooking the lake a bit, we decided it was too late to go out, and just ate at the Stadium Bar in the hotel. The appetizers were good for a late night menu. Drinks reasonable.
The room was large and had a comfortable bed. The matress was so nice.
The Staff at the hotel was very helpful each time we had a question.Good with suggestions of restaurants. The maid service was good.
We used the shuttle to go out a few of the nights and it worked fine. Even took us to Cleveland Heights area to go to a jazz club, instead of taking a taxi or a train.
The restaurant food was simply ok. I would not eat there, there are plenty of great places in Cleveland. The pool was small, but clean.
This hotel location great to walk to Rock and Roll hall of fame, or the Progressive field, We did both areas and a lot of restaurants in the downtown area. You can walk to Tower city and catch a train to get around, or the bus system is great from that location also.We used public transportation to get around the whole trip or walked. Great location

All in all
Service excellent
Room excellent
Bar excellent
Restaurant Average
Location PERFECT

washington dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Stayed at the Doubletree for an extended weekend. Renovated from the former Holiday Inn. Parking on the streets free for the weekend (after 5:00pm weekdays) and readily available while we were there. R &R Hall of Fame about 4-5 blocks away. Renovated rooms are nice, but not of 4 to 5 star quality. Hotwire rated the hotel at 3.5 stars, which is a bit of a stretch. Clean, only maintenance item was a loose toilet seat. A/c unit worked well, but on the loud side. Beds good, pool & exercise room nice, but pool has the ubiquitous non-removable rope between shallow/deep ends making lap swimming a bit of a chore. Staff reasonably friendly. Did not try the food or in-house starbucks....

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

The hotel itself was good for what we wanted, although we booked through Hotwire (and paid $49 per night before tax) and received a two double bed room instead of the one bed room we would have preferred. Parking was reasonable at $16 per night, and we initially left Cleveland with a good view of this hotel. However, in checking my credit card statement a week later, there was a $42.76 charge from this hotel that I can't account for - we used none of the hotel's facilities bar the room we paid for. I tried to call the hotel to check about this, and was initially helped by a rather friendly employee who put me through to someone where only a voicemail answered. I transferred myself back to reception, not happy about giving the runaround, where I encountered an employee that had obviously had a hard day, he was rude, sarcastic and when I questioned him about something, he returned my question in a sardonic tone, then refused to let me answer, dumping me back to someone else, who finally told me that the department I needed to speak to was closed for the day, and that I needed to call back the next day. When told the next day was a Saturday, she had forgotten that the department I needed to speak to doesn't work on weekends!!

Overall, I would have recommended this hotel as a good stay through Hotwire, but the after-sales service that I received makes me think that once they have your money - be it legally or not - then that's where the service stops. Recommendation - avoid

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside? Share your experiences!