“Beautiful rooms, comfy bed!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rock and Roll HOF Package
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Montreal
“Beautiful rooms, comfy bed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Let's face it: Cleveland is boring so you better have a nice comfy room to stay in. The Doubletree was great - good location, friendly staff (they gave us an early check-in) and renovated rooms. I wish every hotel room I stayed in was like that.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

In a word, this hotel was filthy. We booked through HotWire, and paid only $50 per night, and it definitely was not even worth that cut rate. We parked in the adjoining garage, which has very tight spots and costs $16 per night. On the elevator ride down, my child commented that the elevator was similar to Tower of Terror. The common areas in the hotel were even worse. The halls were dark and unvacuumed. Room service was not cleared. There was debris that remained on the carpet the entire weekend (including apparently soiled tissues, and a fingernail right outside our door). The rooms were not as bad, but they were loud, and I wouldn't have dared to (1) drink out of the glasses; (2) use the coffee machine; or (3) sit on anything but the sheets.
The staff was generally pleasant, and the shuttle worked reasonably well if you were willing to be patient. However, the "cleaning staff" were quite willing to jump on the elevator with guests, and one gentlemen even flung his mungy mop over his shoulder on a semi-full elevator.
The restaurant was really bad, even for sandwiches (we had, among my family, a hamburger, a fish sandwich, a caeser salad, and an italian meat sandwich, and all were nasty). Avoid the hotel generally - I don't care how cheap it is - but particularly avoid the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

We arrived at the airport and took the red line train to Tower City. $2.00 each. It was too late to take the trolley to the hotel from there, so we called for a hotel shuttle pick up, as we had our luggage. The shuttle from DoubleTree came within 15 min. After checking into our room on the 10th floor overlooking the lake a bit, we decided it was too late to go out, and just ate at the Stadium Bar in the hotel. The appetizers were good for a late night menu. Drinks reasonable.
The room was large and had a comfortable bed. The matress was so nice.
The Staff at the hotel was very helpful each time we had a question.Good with suggestions of restaurants. The maid service was good.
We used the shuttle to go out a few of the nights and it worked fine. Even took us to Cleveland Heights area to go to a jazz club, instead of taking a taxi or a train.
The restaurant food was simply ok. I would not eat there, there are plenty of great places in Cleveland. The pool was small, but clean.
This hotel location great to walk to Rock and Roll hall of fame, or the Progressive field, We did both areas and a lot of restaurants in the downtown area. You can walk to Tower city and catch a train to get around, or the bus system is great from that location also.We used public transportation to get around the whole trip or walked. Great location

All in all
Service excellent
Room excellent
Bar excellent
Restaurant Average
Location PERFECT

washington dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Stayed at the Doubletree for an extended weekend. Renovated from the former Holiday Inn. Parking on the streets free for the weekend (after 5:00pm weekdays) and readily available while we were there. R &R Hall of Fame about 4-5 blocks away. Renovated rooms are nice, but not of 4 to 5 star quality. Hotwire rated the hotel at 3.5 stars, which is a bit of a stretch. Clean, only maintenance item was a loose toilet seat. A/c unit worked well, but on the loud side. Beds good, pool & exercise room nice, but pool has the ubiquitous non-removable rope between shallow/deep ends making lap swimming a bit of a chore. Staff reasonably friendly. Did not try the food or in-house starbucks....

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

The hotel itself was good for what we wanted, although we booked through Hotwire (and paid $49 per night before tax) and received a two double bed room instead of the one bed room we would have preferred. Parking was reasonable at $16 per night, and we initially left Cleveland with a good view of this hotel. However, in checking my credit card statement a week later, there was a $42.76 charge from this hotel that I can't account for - we used none of the hotel's facilities bar the room we paid for. I tried to call the hotel to check about this, and was initially helped by a rather friendly employee who put me through to someone where only a voicemail answered. I transferred myself back to reception, not happy about giving the runaround, where I encountered an employee that had obviously had a hard day, he was rude, sarcastic and when I questioned him about something, he returned my question in a sardonic tone, then refused to let me answer, dumping me back to someone else, who finally told me that the department I needed to speak to was closed for the day, and that I needed to call back the next day. When told the next day was a Saturday, she had forgotten that the department I needed to speak to doesn't work on weekends!!

Overall, I would have recommended this hotel as a good stay through Hotwire, but the after-sales service that I received makes me think that once they have your money - be it legally or not - then that's where the service stops. Recommendation - avoid

Visit Erie, PA USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

Pros:
-Fantastic rate (booked through Hotwire for $49+tax)
-Great location off of Rt 2, I-90, & 9th St (Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Science Center and the football stadium)
-Convenient, safe and reasonably priced parking ($16 per night, come-and-go)
-Bedding was very comfortable

Cons:
-Filthiest 3 1/2 star hotel I've EVER seen (listed as 3 1/2 by Hotwire)
-Stains, crumbs, candy, mold, scum, crud, dirt and dust
-Phone was so dirty we wouldn't even pick it up, and the coffee bar would be great (Wolfgang Puck) if it were clean!
** I stayed here for one night after a concert with several friends (separate rooms, all dirty). Walked to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the next day. I'm young (25) and on a limited budget, but I've stayed at many hotels. I'm NOT a picky person. This hotel was THAT BAD!
-Toilette did not flush properly, and water lost pressure/got cold while showering
-The comfortable bedding didn't even matter because it was dirty and stained; we slept on top of the covers!
-The front desk clerks were not particularly friendly. They could not tell us where to get stamps or breakfast/lunch. The cleaning staff, who did not acknowledge us, was having a loud, personal conversation in the hallway. Perhaps if they did more cleaning and less socializing we wouldn't have been so disgusted by our rooms.

Overall, I would ONLY recommend this hotel to someone who doesn't plan to spend a lot of time in their room, doesn't care about cleanliness, or someone looking for a convenient, low cost place to stay.
Shame, because the location, recent renovations, front lobby, and style of the hotel are really nice. If only it was clean and well maintained!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
upstate ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

If I had paid full price for the hotel I would have been very upset (paid 49/night on hotwire). The hotel itself is not so bad, fairly updated but the service leaves much to be desired. To start off the desk staff were rude/unhelpful. The room was semi-clean upon check in. The room had a strange/ funky smell when we first walked in, but once the air conditioner ran for awhile it went away. The furniture was dusty, and there were handprints on the doors and headboards so you could tell they had not been wiped down before we checked in. There was dried food stuck on the carpet and we found a spoon sticking halfway out from under the bed. We stayed 4 nights, each day leaving by 9am to go out to sightseeing or go to area attractions. We would normally be back to the room by 4:30 or so, and 3 out of the 4 days we came back to a dirty room. The one day they did come in to clean they did not leave any toilet paper so we ran out that night. The other days the cleaner stopped by to see if we needed towels or empty the garbage, but that was about it.
I would not recommend the hotel restaurant for breakfast. It is overpriced and the food was not worth the price. The breakfast buffet was $15 per person, the food was lukewarm and did not taste that great. We only got suckered in the first day, and found other area restaurants the rest of our stay. Parking cost 16 dollars per day. We expected the cost, what we did not expect was the lack of available spots to park during peak times. They allow others to park there as well, so during times when games or events are going on you may not be able to find a spot to park even though you paid for the day.
The location is alright if you are attending a football game or the rock and roll hall of fame, as it is only a short walk down to the area. It would not be the best location if you are attending a basketball or baseball game since it is on the other side of the city.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside? Share your experiences!