“Plesently Surprised” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Toronto, ON
“Plesently Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

We were a little dissapointed when we got this hotel on Hotwire but we were pleasantly surprised and extremely pleased with our $63 purchase (including taxes and fees)- this was one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed at, comperable to Hiltons, Hyatts, etc.

It was a little hard to get to because of local construction but that was our only complaint.

Check-in was easy and there was no mention/attitude because it was a Hotwire booking. Loved the warm chocolate chip cookie!

When we got to our room, there were 2 double beds. I called down to see if we could change to a king room- no problem. The clerk even apologized for not asking (I had not called to specify a preference).

Our room was on the fifth floor and had a view of an office building but we could see the lake if we looked to our left. While it was close to the elevator, we heard no noise from it or other guests. The room was large and well decorated- modern, urban furnishings and color scheme (though it did make the room seem a little dark). The bed was super comfy and had 6 pillows. There was also a comfortable chair, desk area (free internet), flat screen tv (lots of chanels including HBO), and coffee maker with Wolfgang Puck coffees and teas. While we did not use it, there was an extensive room service menu.

In addition to the ample drawer space, there was a huge closet. The bathroom was massive and well stocked with huge, fluffy towels and Neutrogena products (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, face wash, facial moisturizer with sunblock, body and face soaps). There was a note in the room stating that they would also deliver toothpaste, toothbrushes, shower caps, deodorant and many other items for no extra charge if you needed them.

We did not check out the fitness room, self-serve laundry, or business center but the pool on the first floor was great. It is near the lobby but close to the elevators so one does not need to go through the (lovely and large) lobby area to get to it. The pool is large and fairly warm and the whirlpool was hot and had great jets. There are lots of towels and tables and chairs so that one can really enjoy this area.

There is a Starbucks just off the lobby, as well as a restaurant and a separate bar.

Parking was $16/day but the area was secure (guard at the entrance and hotel key needed to enter) and they let us keep the car there after we checked out, so we thought it was a pretty good deal.

The hotel is within walking distance of the Rock n'Roll Hall of Fame but little else. However, the hotel offers a free shuttle to anywhere in the downtown area. It was hard for us to figure out the exact perimeters of this. The first night we wanted to go to the Great Lakes Brewing Company but the driver said that he didn't go there. He took us to the Warehouse district and recommended the Cleveland Chop House and Brewing Company instead (which we enjoyed). The next day we asked about getting a cab to the West Side Market (which is across the street from the Great Lakes Brewing Company) and the desk clerk said that the shuttle was not available at that time (it was making a hospital run) but that he would pick us up when we wanted to come back. She then called a cab for us. I suggest that you ask the front desk about places to go and get them to ask the drivers.

On the whole, all the staff we met were extremely friendly and went out of their way to accomodate any request. We will definitely stay here again if we return to Cleveland.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

870 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

Pros:
* great location to Cleveland Browns Stadium and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
* free shuttle until 11:00 PM
* large room size
* comfortable beds
* Wi-Fi free in your room

Cons:
* dirty bathroom - hair all over the floor
* dirty carpets throughout the hall and in the room
* staff at the front desk was not helpful in getting bathroom floor cleaned despite telling us, "...someone will be right up." It took 3 visits to the front desk until a security guard offered to come up and help us (after the cleaner asked her to get me a broom so I could clean the floor!)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

This hotel recently underwent a massive renovation. Overall, the design is wonderful and the rooms are very comfortable. The lobby is beautiful and service at the front desk was cheerful.

The hotel is located very close to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and certain rooms have beautiful views of Lake Erie. The beds were extremely comfortable and I loved the fact that the bath amenities included facial cleanser and facial moisturizer. Those items often leak in suitcases, so it's wonderful for hotels to offer them.

Some bad notes: the service in general needs improved training. While the room was comfortable, housekeeping definitely missed corners of bathrooms (check out my photos) and sticky things on the dresser. Phone calls to various departments would often go unanswered for quite a few rings and workers would often hang up quickly without ensuring the call was finished. The front desk was a bit chaotic at times with guests not being helped in order.

Finally, the high speed internet was not working for about 6 hours one evening.

Overall, I would stay here again if the price is right, but not if it's expensive.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

My family and I stayed here during some time off for spring break. When I booked our reservation, I thought this property was a new construction. I got a little worried when I read the reviews on this site and found out it was a Holiday Inn that was being remodeled. Thankfully, by the time we arrived on the first weekend of April, the remodeling work appeared to be done. Everything was clean and there were no contractors running around.

On the plus side, you simply can not beat the location of this hotel if you plan on going to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Great Lakes Science Center, or plan on seeing the Browns play. All three of these locations are right next to each other and very close to this hotel (see attached picture of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with hotel in background). Downstairs there is a bar with a light menu and a restaurant with a full menu. We had breakfast in the restaurant two mornings and enjoyed the buffet. The buffet included made to order omelets, French toast, scrambled eggs, sausage, pastries, fruit ,etc. The hotel has a parking garage that charges around $16 per night. There is also a small city lot next door that uses parking meters and on street parking. We never used the hotel garage and parking meters are free starting at 5:00 on Fridays for the duration of the weekend. My kids enjoyed the pool which is slightly larger than the average hotel pool and my wife and I enjoyed the hot tub. There is also a fitness center on the second floor and a business center (no charge). Front desk service was perfect for check in, check out, and a couple things I needed along the way.

My only complaint about the hotel was size of the rooms. We stayed on the 16th floor. The Doubletree web site calls this the Executive Floor. We had a standard room with two queen size beds. The room was smaller than we are used to and was a bit crowded. The bathroom was also too small. There was not enough counter space for our stuff, no drawers under the sink, and not enough towel bars. The exhaust fan in the bathroom barely worked and the tub was slow to drain. It seems these are not unusual problems for hotels. The room did look like it had been remodeled sometime in the last year and was in good repair.

Would we stay here again? Maybe. We absolutely loved the location but the room was too small. I think we would be more likely to stay here again if we left the kids with grandparents and got a room with a single king size bed. I suspect that would free up enough space to feel right for two people. If our plans did not include the three previously mentioned attractions, we might stay at the Embassy Suites again. We stayed there on a previous trip and our room was quite large. Plus, it was closer to the Playhouse Square theatre district. I guess in our two visits to Cleveland we have not yet found a perfect hotel but we have found two very good ones.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

I just returned from a three night stay at the Doubletree hotel in downtown Cleveland. Let me say, it was absolutely amazing! Me and three friends decided to go to Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and we we couldn't believe how nice the hotel and the staff were! The lobby is beautiful and it doesn't end there. The room was spotless, everything looked almost brand new! The bathroom is a little small, but wasn't even that big of a problem with four people sharing one room. The beds were very comfortable. We were able to use the pool and jacuzzi and also were very impressed. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. We didn't have any problems checking in. There is also a free shuttle that will take you around downtown, which was very nice on the colder nights when we didn't want to walk. Almost everything is within walking distance. The rock and roll hall of fame and science center aren't more than a half mile away and the walk is easy. The location is good and we felt safe at all times. There isn't a lot of restaurants around the hotel, but if you walk a few streets up you will find some! And plus, when we walked in the front desk gave us a ton of menus from places that deliver to the hotel, so that was a plus! Overall, I'd say we had an absolutely awesome time at the Doubletree and in Cleveland. I would recommend this hotel to anybody, beings it is a great hotel at a great price!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

We had a very nice stay the weekend of Feb 28-Mar 1. Room were very clean. The beds were very comfortable. We liked the shuttle that took us anywhere we wanted to go! The only bad thing that I have to say is that the breakfast at the hotel was not worth the price that we paid, and there was not enough staff to accomadate the people.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Willoughby Hills, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

This hotel was horrible. Everywhere you turn there was dust. I welcome the renovations that will come. The pool is much too close to make shift front desk, with guests just prancing about in bathing suits, children just running thru the lobby dripping. After a not s pleasant check in I moved on to my room which was the most pleasant part. If a could have stayed in there maybe this would have been enjoyable. The bar almost made me a beleiver but then my food was served and it was cold, when I asked to have it returned I was talked to very rudely, and just decided to cancel my order all together.

I returned to my room with thoughts that I just should have stayed at home. This was supposed to be a fun weekend with my friends....that entailed self indulgence, and fun, fun fun.........I think the name change has brought about more than what a guest may bargain for.

Never again will I was my money at the DoubleTree!!!!!

Spend your money wisely and stay elsewhere, there are real hotels in downtown cleveland.

Parking dont even upset yourself $$$$$16, they are the biggest rip off.....and the garage is not safe.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside? Share your experiences!