“rude service staff -by Clarissa W.” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rock and Roll HOF Package
Ranked #17 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
“rude service staff -by Clarissa W.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Doubletree on the 13th of December 2013. My initial impression is that the hotel needs a good cleaning our a remodeling of the Front Desk area. The rooms were the sane fashion needing a remodel before the colors of the upholstered chairs and sofa become much more outdated. The cleanliness was about okay but in the bathroom there was about two gallons of water left over from the cleaning staff. The furniture was worn and needing replaced. I stayed in a suite and just expected more for my money. I felt very disappointed the overall suite condition.
My evening took a turn for the worst while dealing with the late night (11 pm - 7 am) front desk young lady who was working by herself. This person managed to ruin the entire experience for me and my husband. She was unprofessional towards me
and I feel borderline belligerent. I tried too find out why my guests (I rented two suites that evening) weren't able to access their room when they attempted to check-in. She basically dismissed my concerns and then refused to tell me get correct name. Telling me three different names at one point (while I'm on the phone with her) I also mentioned I was contacting the manager in the morning because of her attitude and unprofessional conduct. She basically told me get job was secure and I would be wasting my time informing the manager. I
felt very powerless at that moment and a bit shocked that apparently the manager wouldn't care once I contacted her at 7 am.
I do not plan on going back to that particular Double Tree if that aren't able to insure me that I wouldn't have the same experience again. I would like to speak to the manager concerning my stay that evening.

• Stayed December 2013

886 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Kalamazoo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We were recommended to this hotel by Cleveland Clinic Hospital. DoubleTree made us feel very welcomed. This was our 4th stay at this location and it has become our hotel of choice during our visits to the hospital.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

From my early morning check-in (2 hot cookies too) to my checkout; a very enjoyable stay! The room was fantastic and I found the staff extremely helpful in everything from directions to places for nightlife (bartender)! Breakfast was the hearty full DoubleTree breakfast. I even ate at Stadium 3 for dinner and found the Salmon to be good and I'm from the PacNW (it's also in Restaurant.com if you're a discount hunter :) !
The manager of this property should be commended! I imagine it's pretty tough to manage a staff and hundreds of guests (someone will always have a gripe...it's statistics) but when you step back, the property is an excellent choice for a 3.5 star that is well located to the Rock Hall plus the shuttle is unbeatable (tip Carl and Cooper)! I would gladly stay there again and for more than 1 night!

Room Tip: Go for the Executive floor....great views of the Lake and HUGE!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Doubletree33, Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cleveland Downtown-Lakeside. We are so pleased that our staff, the room accommodations and the dining experience met your expectations. We truly take pride in delivering the best experience possible to our guests and look forward to your next visit when in the Cleveland area.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Carl, Coop and cookies. Those are the three best things about this place. Call and Coop are the shuttle drivers who were very helpful, polite and generally took care of business in every way. Carl should be with the general manager because he was the one most able to take care of business.

We checked in at 11:30 PM and quickly fell asleep only to be woken up by the cleaning lady vacuuming and slamming cleaning supplies and using her push to talk walkie talkie in the 3 rooms next to us at 12:30 AM. I called downstairs to the front desk and after 30 rings she picked up and informed us that room cleaning is done 24 hours a day.

The room was very smoky and the hallway was very smoky also. We were told that this entire hotel was non-smoking hotel, But it was obvious that multiple people had been smoking.

Because of the smell, we asked to be moved to a different room. They said they would transfer us to a executive room when we arrived at the room and it was identical, but had A bathrobe and slippers on the bed.

All of the other workers at this hotel did the very least they could to make our stay enjoyable and seemed to be put out by asking for anything including change for a 20 (to tip Carl and Coop)!

Stay elsewhere for less money and better service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cleveland-Lakeside. All guest feedback is very important to us and of great value. Our goal is to provide the best service and accommodations possible and feedback assist us in making the necessary improvements to meet the expectations of our guests. If ever in the Cleveland area, it would be a pleasure to show how your valuable feedback has assist us in our improvement process.
Ocean Shores, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Most staff were very friendly, one man at the front desk though could brush up on his people skills. As a Diamond Hhonors member, they failed to have water bottles in room on arrival, and there was no upgrade to room. Cleaning staff took my unfinished cookie away. Breakfast was decent. Beds super comfortable. The sound from hallways carries right into the room. Still my preferred choice to stay in town.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for being a loyal Hilton Honor Member (Diamond Member). It is always a pleasure to hear that we at the DoubleTree by Hilton Cleveland Downtown-Lakeside are the preferred choice in lodging for our guests when in the Cleveland area. Your feedback reiterates the importance of assuring that all Hilton Honor benefits are presented as expected. Again, we thank you and look forward to your next visit. Oh, we owe you an extra cookie or two.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I was here the weekend of December 13 for the brown football game. I really prefer staying at Hilton because of my Hilton status, but I am also an SPG and Hyatt member, as well. Here is the good:

1. Really nice people working at this place. Then again, that should always be an expectation. The staff did a nice job working with us rowdy Bears fans. They kept everyone safe and minimized any unfortunate events.
2. Very close to the Rock and Roll Museum and the football stadium. Walking distance. Also, close to nice restaurants. I felt safe walking around.
3. The hotel shuttle will take you anywhere within a mile of the hotel for free. This is a great deal!

4. The price was reasonable. if you are looking for a cheap place that is close to the main Cleveland attractions, then this would be the hotel.

What the hotel won't tell you:
1. Don't expect very good service at the bar. The bar was packed after the game on Sunday and only two people were working at the bar. One of them was this lady who was so confused she gave me money back even though I hadn't paid her yet. She was so confused and people were grumbling with the lack of service. Overpriced food that was horrible. The tap of the holiday ale from Great Lakes Brewery wasn't operational from Thursday afternoon until Monday morning. I try to enjoy good local beer from local microbreweries when visit big cities, so it was too bad that the hotel didn't plan ahead. There were two other good beers on tap from Great Lakes Brewery.

2. The walls are thin. This is the first time that I can say that I heard what was happening in the room next to me. There were kids yelling and when people would leave their rooms the doors would slam with a terrific noise. Really thin walls.

3. The bathroom doesn't have a fan, so if you take a hot shower there will be condensation and it will drip from the ceiling. Don't take any electronics into the bathroom or there is a chance they could get wet from the dripping ceiling.

4. Rumor has it that a Hilton and a Westin will be operational soon in downtown Cleveland. I would consider staying at one these hotels for a more luxurious stay. It may be a bit more, but it might be more classy.

I was a bit disappointed overall, as this was one of the tackier hotels of the Hilton brand that I have stayed in in the past few years. Luckily, I only used points so I didn't lose too much. Blackstone Properties need to start paying more attention to whom they franchise.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
North Olmsted, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Being a native Clevelander and a former business traveler it's not often I choose to book a hotel in my hometown as opposed to the comfort and joy of my own home and bed. However, with tickets to a Broadway show, and Transiberian orchestra it made for a good excuse to spend the weekend with the significant other downtown and not worry about the back and forth - particularly important given a snowstorm occurred.

With a number of Hilton properties available to use my points at, I chose the Doubletree downtown. My girlfriend loves the cookies, and they offered a shuttle which we may or may not utilize and the rooms/points were best.

I was impressed from the beginning as I checked in and Lynette greeted me and was an absolute pleasure to check in with. She was friendly, courteous, fun, and helped me to make my stay the best possible. The room was nice (although the fridge didn't work - in hindsight it may have been unplugged) and the staff pleasant.

Overall, the experience was great - After driving and parking far away to get to Trans Siberian orchestra on Saturday night, we randomly ran into the shuttle who totally stopped to pick us up despite us not calling to reserve the shuttle or anything.

The only knock I would have was the breakfast wait. Because the Browns played Sunday, the restaurant was packed and not moving efficiently, even for a buffet. They were clearly understaffed. Next time I will just walk in and get a plate to go. It was good food though.

Room Tip: Talk to Lynette!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside? Share your experiences!