“Hotel Was Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hotel Was Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I came to stay at this hotel on a last minute trip to Cleveland. The staff at the desk ( Shawna and Angela ) were very nice and accomodating. The General Manager, Billie was also very nice as we spoke in the lobby while I checked in. The hotel is right on Lake Erie. There is a Starbucks and Resturant on site. Parking access was great. The rooms were clean and up to date. The Hotel is in good condition and I am very pleased with how our stay went this past weekend. We will for sure come back and stay here our next visit to Cleveland Ohio. Thank you to all of your staff!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree in Jan 2012 and Feb 2013 over weekends (two nights) with the R&RHOF as our destination (a short walk from the hotel). This hotel has improved a great deal in the past year. I did not encounter one unfriendly staff member from check-in, bar, food services, and housekeeping. Genuine (underlined) friendliness and helpfulness. Their suggestions for places to eat (there were 8 of us) worked out. Can't beat their free shuttle service to and from downtown areas. Mike, our driver, was sweet (tip him well!). Breakfast buffet (included in our package) was tasty. Pool was warm. I wanted to take home the bed, sheets and pillow. (staff directed me to doubletreehome.com). Ask for the executive floor - larger rooms with King and sofa or two Queens including a small fridge. The RRHF package for ONE night will save you $40 if you want the buffet breakfast and need parking. Someday we will visit Cleveland in the spring - would stay at the DT again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

In Cleveland on business last week and chose this hotel due to proximity to one of my meeting locations and in hindsight, I would have driven 25 miles out of my way to avoid this one. The facility is dated - best days are certainly behind it and unless there is an infusion of cash scheduled, I believe this one will be changing hands one day...at least it should be.

The room - dark, with marginal lighting abilities from lamps originally installed when the hotel first opened I would guess. Comfort - windows whose insulation has dried to the texture of rather ugly 10 year old sponge. Needless to say, with winds whipping off of lake Erie mid February, you couldnt keep a candle lit if you wanted. Truely unacceptable, however, my favorite issue was with the attached parking. Due to meeting facilities on site, the ramp was always full and parking was on the 4th or 5th floor everynight. Normally not a problem, but when the questionable elevator, (you honestly questioned boarding it when it was working), ceased working all together and you had to lug baggage up to the fifth floor, (while paying $18/day to park), you'll understand, the straw that finally broke the camels back.

The two stars were won by (1) the increadibly nice staff, (very nice people who are doing what they can to keep this place together), (2) the free cookies, (quite good), and (3) Decent bedding.

Anyway, these things can be had elsewhere with a better facility, so I would not recommend staying at here unless there is an effort to improve on the facility itself.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Doubletree33, General Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are sorry that you were disappointed with your accommodations. I am happy to say that we are undergoing a number of projects to address the concerns described in your review. We are adjusting the lighting levels within our rooms along with upgrading a number of case goods. I have shared your comments and using your recommendations to improve to ensure a more positive experience. Although your comments indicate that you have no desire to stay with us in the future, we hope you'll reconsider and come back to see the changes we've made and let us know what you think. Thank you for helping us improve!
Elkhart, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We checked in on Friday evening and the staff was very nice. They even gave us warm cookies at check in. The room was beautiful and we had a great view of the lake. The lamps on both sides of the bed had outlets on the base, but niether one worked. All the other outlets were full, so there was no place to plug in cell phone chargers without unplugging a lamp or something else. The light was burnt out in the bathroom. The ones on the vanity worked, but still very dim in there. The next mornign e went down to breakfast and it was very good! Then we went to the pool. The pool was very nice, it was warm and the area was well maintained. However, the hot tub was luke warm at best. Back up in the room we attempted to shower to get ready for our day. There was no hot water! Upon checkout we were told that the whole hotel was out of hot water and the system was being reset due to the volume of people using it! Really?!?! This seems like something a hotel should be prepared for! I emailed Hilton upon arriving home after our stay and have not received a response. I expect so much more from the Hilton name!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

just stayed there last week, and prefer to stay there... older building the interior is nice and it is solid (quiet). Great views/ close to Hard Rock. The staff is really nice across the board and they work hard to make you smile and know that you are wanted and welcome.

Room Tip: just ask at desk, the staff is great
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I would have given 5 stars for this hotel, but both nights I was there I was unable to sleep due to noise/talking from the hall. (Mostly from housekeeping) The staff was all very friendly and helpful (and the chocolate chip cookies are great!) I booked this hotel because it had a hot tub in the pool area, unfortunately I did not know that it was out of service. I got ready and went down to the pool only to find that it was completely out of order and blocked off. The pool was nice though. The rooms are very clean, beds are comfortable, the bathroom was nice. Having a Starbucks inside the hotel was really convenient too. The location is more in the business district, but I liked the location. It was really easy to get onto 12th street and go anywhere in town. Parking is $16 a day, but it's very easy to get to your car to get in and out. They also let you leave your car in the parking garage until 6pm on the day you check out. I was allowed a late check out for 1pm and that was great. I would stay here again, but request a room at the end of a hall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Our first impressions of this hotel were not good when we walked into our room. The tired-looking room was dated and had signs of wear. It also had ‘old hotel’ smell. This is pretty unimpressive when you consider the cost, especially when you have to pay a separate, daily parking rate.

However, the following things made up for this: The beds were super-comfortable (we had better, longer sleeps than in our own beds); the shower had great pressure and got hot quickly; the location of the hotel downtown, and practically across the street from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Tip: A great bar/pub called “Winks” is very close by (about 2 blocks or less south of the hotel). They had an outstanding craft brew selection, with great happy hour rates.

Room Tip: Go to Winks bar, a block or two south of the hotel. Ask front desk for directions.
Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside? Share your experiences!