“Nice hotel, good location, very modern, but watch out for add-ons.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rock and Roll HOF Package
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
“Nice hotel, good location, very modern, but watch out for add-ons.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011 via mobile

I visited this hotel with 2 of my kids. The entire hotel is extremely clean and well maintained. It has a nice pool, hot tub and an excellent (if small) gym with complimentary water.

The location is excellent and very close to several attractions including the Great Lakes Science Center, Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and USS Cod. The Hotel provides a free shuttle which the receptionist told us would shuttle guests wherever they want and does not follow a fixed schedule. This sounded good until I realized that no fixed schedule means that you could wait 30 minutes or better with no shuttle making an appearance.

Parking is $16 Per day, which I think is a little pricey, but allows you to go in and as many times as you want using your room key as a parking pass. My son made the obvious mistake of making local calls from the hotel phone (2 of 3 didn't actually go through) and that cost us $25.00.

Overall, a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2011
Doubletree33, General Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Thank you for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. The hotel was renovated 2 years ago and has a lot to offer. We look forward to having you return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Northborough, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The hotel is conveniently located and in easy walking distance to either Progressive Field, Cleveland Browns Stadium and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

The furniture, bedding and furnishings are very nice and consistent with what I expect from a Doubletree hotel but the building is old and dated, sort if like a fading hollywood starlet with new clothes and make-up. It is a comfortable, safe and okay place to stay for business.

The service on the other hand was unpleasant at best. As an example as I went to check-out at the front desk because I had not received a statement under my door (I need it to submit for expense reimbursement). When I arrived at the front desk no one was there. After a few moments an unpleasant woman emerged from the back, picked up the phone and started dialing without acknowledging my presence. (No I'll be right with you sir or I'm sorry I need to make one quick call). When she completed her call, without looking up, she asked me what I needed. I told her I needed to check out and get a receipt. She asked the room number which I provided and without another word handed me my receipt and kept typing. So after waiting a moment for her to ask if I needed anything else I offered that I had misplaced my breakfast voucher and needed another, she handed another to me again without a word or without looking up once.

This one example was consistent with almost every staff member I encountered. Unpleasant, hurried and on the verge of being angry.

Bottom line is while it wasn't terrible I expect better from a quality brand like Doubletree and I will certainly try somewhere else on my next trip to Cleveland.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Doubletree33, General Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to respond and to allow us the opportunity to have you back as a guest in the near future. I look forward to your return.
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

The DoubleTree is an old refurbished hotel. The rooms are small and bathrooms tiny.

We stayed on the Executive Floor hoping to get away from families with small children visiting the Hall of Fame. No luck. Can't blame the hotel for people pounding on the interlocking door at midnight but doors were slamming LOUDLY all night. The hotel has window air conditioners that are also LOUD. You can not set them to run continuously so it is turning off and on all night.

On the plus side, the breakfast and reception food on the Executive floor was good but breakfast ends at 9am.

Staff seemed fine.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Doubletree33, General Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
First let me apologize for the noise you encountered while staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed our staff, breakfast, and reception. I look forward to having you back in the near future.
Fenton, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My wife & I met friends in Cleveland and elected to stay here. The rooms were reasonably priced, although there was about $20 worth of taxes and $16 per night for parking. There were only 3 clerks handling the check in and there was no consierge either.

But the place has many plusses. Its location is perfect for walking to baseball park, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and all of Cleveland's eateries and night life. It also has 3 shuttles running that will transport you if your legs can't. The shuttle drivers are a wealth of good information too.

The Double Tree also has a nice bar. It has cheap drink specials and great service. The work out room is great. It actually has free weight dumbells ans a slant board - a lot better than most hotels. The pool was clean. But the restaurant was pricey, It has a Starbucks in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Frankfurt Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Decided to stick with a Doubletree while traveling to Cleveland, reviews were OK and i figured so far on this trip Hilton had done a good job, guess again.

The hotel is on the lakeside and not far from the Rock and Roll Hall of fame, it is more than 6 blocks to the City Mall and Hard Rock Cafe and several blocks from decent bars and restaurants. Very close to the Browns football field and the Science Museum

Parking was about $18 a night in a open parking garage

The front desk was busy at check in, but was proficient and quick!

Room was on the top floor and was nothing special, King Room with a view of the Municipal City Air Port and the Quasi-Industry side of the city.

I hate to use the word "clean" in any part of this report, while it may have been tidied up it just did not feel clean; from the windows to the floors to the VERY outdated and abused furniture this place (or at least the room we were in) had seen better days.

Breakfast was a joke....Are you reading this Doubletree? A Joke! Clean the tables once in awhile along with the chairs. There was one woman who was trying to run the entire show and it was too much! The selection was not fresh, the fruit had been sitting around, juice was not good and the taste was not right. The Starbucks, next to the Restaurant, is the better alternative.

The saving grace was the staff, very friendly and helpful and always with a smile, to include the cleaning ladies. Thank you for at least that!

Room Tip: I think the Marriott is a newer sleaker hotel, give them a try first.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Lewisville, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011 via mobile

The highlight was the cookie. Not so hot you gather which is right. To far from night life to walk and the room amenities too old & worn to brag about. I spent 3 nights there and the a/c acted up all but one. This is after reporting the a/c, a dirty towel hanging behind the door and a shower curtain that was so heat distorted across the top that you could not keep the water in the shower--it was never changed even after I reported it. The bed was fairly good but my room was so small that I could use the wore out desk and chair as my night stand. The finishing touch each night and to start the day off as well, was having having to slam the door to get it fully closed.

• Stayed July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give the feedback. As stated in my email to you, we take your comments seriously and each department is involved to utilize them as a way to improve. I am also happy that you will be giving us another opportunity the next time you come to Cleveland.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hotel was great -- clean and nice. I liked the lake view, the warm cookie, and the excellent shuttle service. The front desk staff was wonderful as well. They suggested a local restaurant for our dinner. I did have issues with using the copier in the Business Center -- I couldn't figure out how to work it.

However, after I came home I realized I left some items (a shirt and a pair of pants) in my room. I called and left a message with Housekeeping (no response), and I have submiited two electronic comments on the website (no response). I have seen one other review regarding lost and found items. It appears I am not the only one who has had this problem.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me regarding your losat and found item. I'm glad that we were able to locate the item and ship back to you. I look forward to having you back as a future guest.

Been to Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside? Share your experiences!