“Beautiful Room” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed here for one night and only paid about £60 for the room so we weren't expecting much. Our room was beautiful, everything looked brand new and the bed was really comfy. We ordered room service and the food was excellent. The location is not great but that did not matter for us as we were just passing through. They have a starbucks next door.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Did a few hours of research with all hotels in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame area downtown Cleveland, and the Doubletree came up tops! We booked the Hall of Fame package which included 2 tickets to the HOF, parking and breakfast!!
Upon arrival we were greeted by a pleasant and very welcoming front desk staff member.. check-in was a breeze and the warm cookies were AWESOME!
Before settling into our room, we headed to Constantino's for some beverages and nibblys.. thanks to the front desk staff for giving us directions!!
Once we got back to our room, we were very pleased by the size and cleanliness, as well as the decor.. we were on a Hilton Honors Floor (15th).. and didn't hear a peep out of any other guests. Room attendant did a great job!
As mentioned from other reviewers, the noise at night is a little loud from the Amtrak station below, but if you kept the fan on in the room, it sort of drowned it out. The horns from one of the trains at 4am couldn't have been drowned out.... lol, but thats not the hotels fault!
Shuttle service is a great idea!.. we used it to and from the Hall of Fame.. quick and very friendly drivers!
Breakfast was fine... we mainly eat cereal, yogurt and fruit, so we were satisfied. Sevice in the Breakfast restaurant as well as the bar in the evening was terrific! I think it was Judy that served us in the bar... very informative about the area and very pleasant!!
Check-out was a breeze!
We would stay here again, definately!!
Thanks Doubletree for making our weekend getaway a relaxing one!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
East Aurora, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

My teenage son and I stayed here for a night while visiting the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The walk was only 2 1/2 blocks so the location was excellent. The staff was very friendly and helpful and our room was decent. The beds were soft and the linens were clean. The only complaint was the sleep quality. Be aware that this hotel is located near to an airfield so small planes come and go all night and early morning. It is also next to train tracks, so various trains rattle by all night. Early morning, many car horns are beeping. I realize it is in a city, but we have stayed in NYC - central Manhattan - and the room was much quieter there! I didn't sleep well due to the noises, but would recommend it other than that! (And of course the warm cookies were amazing!)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Doubletree33, General Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
Thank you for the kind words with regards to cleanliness and service, this is what sets us apart. Typically we do not get a lot of comments with regards to the airport and city noise, but will look into. I hope to have you back soon.
Thanks
washington dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Parking was 16 dollars, which is a little steep. The location was okay. We never recieved room service, called down to the front desk for clean sheets and towels and maid service later in the evening and that is what we got. Extra towels on our bed. Nothing was cleaned up at all. The hallways are dark and cold. To top our stay off there was a fight with a man and a woman outside our 4th floor room. The place and people seemed a little sketchy. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I certainly understand your concerns with the cost of parking and the lack of room service. We strive to make continuous improvements and feel it is important to hear about your stay. While I can assure you we take these comments seriously, we realize you have a choice. I hope my sincerity will allow you to give us another opportunity in the future. Our company invested $17 million in 2008 and we pride ourselves in the difference we've made to both security and product. I hope to see you upon your return to Cleveland.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

We were there in Cleveland for a conference west of town, and then decided to check out the FILM FESTIVAL. Three of us girls were there for the weekend, and did an online reservation the morning we were to arrive, so got the guaranteed price with no cancellation policy. Reasonable rate for a nice hotel, but I do see people got a better deal on HotWire. Parking is $16.00 but that includes unlimited in and out. The hotel has a shuttle that runs within in the city, will drop you off and then come and pick you up. The hotel is also within walking distance of a number attractions such as the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, Sports Fields etc. Some great restaurants are in the area and within walking distance or take the shuttle. The hotel rooms were fine and spacious. Clean and nothing broken. Heat worked just fine, and lots of hot water. Cookies were fresh out of the oven when we arrived. Staff was friendly and check in and out was efficient. We certainly would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Compair HotWire with Hotel direct booking $$
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Doubletree33, General Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Thank you for sharing. It truly is good for the staff to hear the positive comments. We look forward to having you again.
Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

This was my wife's and my first trip to Cleveland. We were in town for two nights, so I booked this room because of the positive reviews and the very close proximity to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (a 5-minute walk from the hotel). We probably could have stayed farther away, as we later found out that Cleveland is a very walkable town. But, I still feel that this hotel was a good choice.

PROS:

-- I bought the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame package, which included two adult tickets to the Hall of Fame, parking in the adjacent garage and two breakfast passes. It appears that you get one of each ticket per night you stay there, as I stayed two nights, and got exactly what I described above (two Hall of Fame tickets, two individual breakfast vouchers and two nights of parking). I was a little miffed that breakfast was only included for the ONE morning, since I was with my wife... but I'll get to that in a minute.

-- The room was lovely. We had a nice HDTV, a nice-sized bathroom, plenty of space, a very comfortable bed and complimentary Wi-Fi that was plenty fast.

-- We didn't check out the pool or fitness center, but it was nice that both were available.

-- The hotel provides a free shuttle to any place downtown. The hotel is also very close to Cleveland Stadium, home of the Cleveland Browns. We did not use the shuttle, preferring to walk around the city, but it's nice that the shuttle was available for our use.

-- Super friendly staff. Check-in was a breeze, and they had our Rock Hall package all ready for us upon check-in. Parking was mostly easy. And of course, with all Doubletree hotels, you get a free cookies at check-in. They were warm and delicious.

CONS:

-- The parking gate wasn't working properly our first day, and getting out of the structure was an issue because my keycard wouldn't work. I pushed the call button as I sat with the car running in front of the gate, and it rang at least 30 times (as in THIRTY) before someone picked up. However, the hotel employee who came out was very helpful and apologized for the delay. When I came back, they re-scanned my keycard and it worked fine from thereon.

-- As I mentioned, our Rock Hall package included two vouchers for breakfast at the on-site Stadium 3 Bar & Grille. Like I said, I was surprised that breakfast was only included for one morning as I was only given two vouchers. I asked the attendant at the restaurant if that was correct for the Rock Hall package. She assured me it was.

What followed was, hands down, the WORST breakfast experience I've ever had in my life as a hotel traveler. First, the food was all cold and gross. My wife described the French toast and scrambled as "tasteless and cold." She had some oatmeal, but there was no brown sugar, so she used some strawberries for flavoring. She took a few bites and was done. I had some eggs and sausage, both which were cold and bland (and I lived in a third-world country for a few years, so I'm not difficult to please...).

We also had to ask one of the attendants for a spoon, as there were none in the napkin bundle on our table (I even grabbed one from another table... no spoons there either). The attendant grabbed a spoon out of drawer, which would have been completely out of sight for any guests. Really? No spoons out for guests? You've got to be kidding me. They were serving yogurt and oatmeal. Put out some spoons!!

Undoubtedly the worst part was when we were ready to leave and one of the attendants brought out the "bill" for me to sign. Now, since I had already given her a voucher to cover the meal, this was basically a way to make sure I left a tip. At this point, I was ready to leave NO tip, and I always try to be a generous tipper. But, the service was SO lackluster and the food so AWFUL, that it was apparent to my wife and me that the bare minimum of care had gone in to preparing breakfast that day. I don't know if it's always like that, but it was truly terrible. At that point, I was quite happy that we were only given two vouchers, and not four, because nothing in this world, short of a bag of cash delivered to my room would compel me to eat there ever again. It was THAT bad.

So... the attendant hands me the little booklet with a receipt for me to sign and give a tip. I go to sign my name and then stared at the tip section, wondering if I should just leave it blank or leave a few bucks just out of common decency. It was then that I realized that the attendant WAS STILL STANDING THERE, ostensibly watching to make sure I left a tip. She stayed there right next to me until I handed it back. Are you kidding me? I ended up leaving two bucks... and we left. Good riddance.

Again... this is a great hotel MINUS the breakfast. I can't believe they normally charge $15 for that sad buffet. Hotel management needs to take care of that disaster, as it is a blemish on an otherwise lovely establishment.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Cleveland... and if I'm ever in Cleveland again, I WILL stay here again. No joke. Cleveland was a lovely city, and I'd love to return and see some more one day. Just don't waste money on the breakfast, even if it's included in your room rate.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
First, thank you for giving us such invaluable feedback. I do apologize for the experience with breakfast, as it should be a positive takeaway with the made to order omlets and selections provided. I have shared with my Chef and he too is addressing the issue. I am glad you enjoyed your experience otherwise and plan to return. I am sure you will have a more positive experience the next time you visit.
Thank you!
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Over the past four years, I've spent anywhere from 80-100 nights at this hotel. Everyone at the hotel is like family to me, from Housekeeping, to Restaurants, to Engineering, to Front Desk, to Management. Rooms have been re-done and I enjoy m time very much. If I need to call down for some reason, they respond immediately. If I had one wish that coud be granted, it would be they replace the door closers with the slow-closing (soft and no sound) items. Listening to a repeatedly slamming doors on the floor can be nerve-wracking. A second wish (okay, I'm pushing it here)? A floor for single business travelers who aren't partying and carrying on loud conversations in the hallways at 1AM. This is all hotels, not just here. :)

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Doubletree33, Manager at Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is nice to hear the great comments about service, as that is what differentiates us many times. I do appreciate the comments with regards to the "quiet floors" and the door closers. I will pass these on and as we look at renovation projects in the future, have this as a consideration. Look forward to serving you in the future.

Been to Doubletree Cleveland Downtown / Lakeside? Share your experiences!