“Great place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clifford House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
Clifford House Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Clifford House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
1810 W. 28th St., Cleveland, OH 44113   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Providence, RI
“Great place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed at the Clifford House for a few days while visiting Cleveland. We had the apartment space. Very comfortable! Loved the porch and neighborhood - great restaurants within walking distance. Took the bus downtown to the sites.

Jim is a fabulous host - he gave us great recommendations and serves up a wonderful breakfast. He's a great cook. Will stay again when visiting Cleveland.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to try out Clifford House - we love how Chicago neighborhoods have changed in recent years and decades and wanted to stay in Ohio City and explore. What a wonderful gem! The house is adorable and the host is very generous and kind. Jim made us feel comfortable and we enjoyed his presence - ever helpful, not intrusive, and fun to talk to. Our room (Schneider Suite) was comfortable and relaxing. I got two amazing nights' sleep. Breakfast was delicious both days - home cooking done right. Breakfast conversation was fun - the other guests made it feel like a party. You can't go wrong with Clifford House and Jim Miner - check out this place!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ferndale, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I stayed at Clifford house over the Memorial day weekend with two friends and my dog, Nigel. I was thoroughly happy with the accommodations and Jim's hospitality. The Madison Suite was well appointed and felt like home. Dare I mention, the location of Clifford House is great. The main hub is less than two blocks away. Although my suite had a well stocked kitchen I opted to have breakfast in the main house. The breakfast was to die for. I appreciated him taking the time to set the table and cook a big breakfast regardless of the number in attendance. We were greeted daily by a friendly dog named Sherlock (well groomed and of great personality) who got along famously with Nigel. The experience was far different from any I've had at a bed and breakfast. Jim lives onsite and the home reflects that in a positive way. When I entered the main house I honestly felt as if I was just visiting a friend. There is nothing pretentious about the communal area or Jim. Whereas some may be turned off by the free roaming Sherlock and the lack of pomp and circumstance, it was not an issue for us. Both Jim and his facility is of great quality and I, we, will return.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Madison Suite and would highly recommend it. You'll have your own private entran...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My partner and I stayed at Clifford House while we were in town for a Browns game. The accommodations are lovely and the host was gracious. Sherlock, the resident hound, was a treat to play with - very friendly and even came out to say goodbye when we left. The neighbourhood was outstanding - a short distance from the core downtown, but in an amazing little spot with many great dining options & cafes just around the corner. To be fair, if you're expecting a 'corporate/hotel' style b&b, this isn't it. The owner is friendly, and has a real personality, as does the dog. For an owner occupied b&b, this really is a 5/5 review -- if you're comparing to hotel-style corporate-type luxury inn, this is 4/5.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We decided to spend a night on the town in Cleveland and found this adorable B&B which came recommended from a local. We were planning on spending most of our time in Ohio city so this B&B was within walking distance of West Side Market, Great Lakes Brewing and a whole host of fun restaurants and bars.

We stayed in "The Apartment" of Clifford House which was more than enough space. The living room provided the perfect big comfy sofa for watching football during the day, and the dining room and kitchen would be perfect for entertaining a small group. The bedroom and 2nd bathroom are up another flight of stairs which is nice as it provides privacy from the public spaces. Breakfast is included in your stay however we wanted to go out to eat, but the menu sounded delicious!

If you are looking for a great home base to explore Cleveland I highly recommend Clifford House.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

st.catharines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

my wife and I stayed at the Clifford house this weekend Canadian thanksgiving and found the home very comfortable, the room on the third floor up the stairs, was quite large and cozy. jims hospitality was first rate and when we had called a cab to take us downtown, and waited for a half hour he had just pulled into the driveway and took us in his personal car downtown. the sheets and blankets were clean and the house has that lived in feeling, something my wife and myself are comfortable with. jim has a cat and dog Sherlock great puppy very friendly, and if you don't like pets, then maybe this is not the place for you.we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast of hot and cold foods, with fine conversation and we will definetly return because Cleveland is the bomb
bob and gwen tks again jim.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ferndale, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at the Clifford House as part of a family Magical Musical History Mystery Tour and found a lot to like about the inn. Overall there's a warm, cozy feeling that only a manor home well over a century-and-a-half old can impart. The Clifford House is a more than respectable alternative to pretentious upscale and overpriced places.
The main house is appropriately furnished with period antiques, with pride of home going to the dining foom with its magnificent wood floors and beautiful guest table. The apartment, where we stayed, runs along the rear side of the house and is decidedly more contemporary, but still retains an informal comfort. Exceptionally spacious, the bi-level could easily accommodate five.
Breakfast was great. My nephew loved the chocolate chip blueberry pancakes. There was more than enough in the way of provisions.
As with any older home, there are areas that could stand updating. However, I give Jim (the owner) credit for operating an affordable lodging located in a decent part of town (right ouside the Dining District), while pursuing his career as a realtor--especially in light of Cleveland's poor economy since the Great Recession. Taking a "one day at a time" attitude, Jim was working on a whole punch list of improvements during our stay.
When my sister mentioned to Jim that she enjoys French vanilla coffee cream, he went into his refrigerator and gave his to her. That was a nice touch that you won't find in many places.
Bedding and bath supplies were beyond plentiful. Other reviews have nicked the lodging for sleep quality and, in line with that, my nephew had a rough night's sleep on the sleeper sofa. The cot and large bed upstairs were more than adequate regarding comfort. My only nitpick, being a light sleeper, is the location of the air conditioner unit so close to the beds.
Jim does own a cat (Wesley) and dog (Sherlock) who are in no way bothersome to the guests and are not allowed in the guest quarters (although my sister pleaded unsuccessfully for Sherlock to spend the night with us!)
Overall, our experience was just fine. Jim is a great host with a bundle of fun stories. This was my 14-year old nephew's first bed and breakfast experience and he absolutely loved it! Recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Clifford House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!