“comfortable and reasonable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clifford House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
Clifford House Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Clifford House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
1810 W. 28th St., Cleveland, OH 44113   |
Ranked #6 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
st.catharines
“comfortable and reasonable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

my wife and I stayed at the Clifford house this weekend Canadian thanksgiving and found the home very comfortable, the room on the third floor up the stairs, was quite large and cozy. jims hospitality was first rate and when we had called a cab to take us downtown, and waited for a half hour he had just pulled into the driveway and took us in his personal car downtown. the sheets and blankets were clean and the house has that lived in feeling, something my wife and myself are comfortable with. jim has a cat and dog Sherlock great puppy very friendly, and if you don't like pets, then maybe this is not the place for you.we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast of hot and cold foods, with fine conversation and we will definetly return because Cleveland is the bomb
bob and gwen tks again jim.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ferndale, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at the Clifford House as part of a family Magical Musical History Mystery Tour and found a lot to like about the inn. Overall there's a warm, cozy feeling that only a manor home well over a century-and-a-half old can impart. The Clifford House is a more than respectable alternative to pretentious upscale and overpriced places.
The main house is appropriately furnished with period antiques, with pride of home going to the dining foom with its magnificent wood floors and beautiful guest table. The apartment, where we stayed, runs along the rear side of the house and is decidedly more contemporary, but still retains an informal comfort. Exceptionally spacious, the bi-level could easily accommodate five.
Breakfast was great. My nephew loved the chocolate chip blueberry pancakes. There was more than enough in the way of provisions.
As with any older home, there are areas that could stand updating. However, I give Jim (the owner) credit for operating an affordable lodging located in a decent part of town (right ouside the Dining District), while pursuing his career as a realtor--especially in light of Cleveland's poor economy since the Great Recession. Taking a "one day at a time" attitude, Jim was working on a whole punch list of improvements during our stay.
When my sister mentioned to Jim that she enjoys French vanilla coffee cream, he went into his refrigerator and gave his to her. That was a nice touch that you won't find in many places.
Bedding and bath supplies were beyond plentiful. Other reviews have nicked the lodging for sleep quality and, in line with that, my nephew had a rough night's sleep on the sleeper sofa. The cot and large bed upstairs were more than adequate regarding comfort. My only nitpick, being a light sleeper, is the location of the air conditioner unit so close to the beds.
Jim does own a cat (Wesley) and dog (Sherlock) who are in no way bothersome to the guests and are not allowed in the guest quarters (although my sister pleaded unsuccessfully for Sherlock to spend the night with us!)
Overall, our experience was just fine. Jim is a great host with a bundle of fun stories. This was my 14-year old nephew's first bed and breakfast experience and he absolutely loved it! Recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Medina, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Clifford House for the first time this past weekend and we absolutely could not have been more pleased. Jim's hospitality is first rate and I would give his breakfast a bonus 6th star if the rating system allowed it. He made a wonderful breakfast of local and high quality foods (pastries, sausages, eggs, organic & fair Trade coffee, incredible fresh fruit, etc.). He does quite a bit of shopping at the Westside Market. The breakfast alone was worth at least a third of what we paid to stay.
The house is charming in it's 150 year + splendor and the apartment/two level we stayed in had charm and loads of accommodations for our needs. Maintaining an old home like this is clearly a tremendous amount of work, but it is very clear Jim pours tons of TLC (not to mention expense) to continually upgrade the property. My wife specifically commented to me how amazingly clean everything was (noting, especially the bathroom and kitchen in our unit).
As pet lovers, we found Sherlock (the house's Ambassador Hound and seeming mascot) to be adorable. My wife got some pets on Wesley the cat too. Though Wesley was there, I detected no cat smells of any kind (he spends quite a bit of time outdoors).
Just steps from Great Lakes Brewery and countless great restaurants and local breweries, this place is a gem in a neighborhood with much to offer and staying with Jim is liking staying with a favorite uncle.

We can't wait to find an excuse to come back. My wife and I even talked about bringing our boys next time. The suite has ample room and the "vibe" suits our personality and interests perfectly.

Room Tip: Staying in the Suite provides access separate from the main house and is very roomy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We rented out the entire house for our group of seven adults and one toddler. The space was great for our group, especially the apartment's living room and kitchen, which allowed us to eat some meals in and socialize comfortably after we put our daughter to sleep.

The apartment is especially good for a family of three or four. There is a landing with a twin bed outside the bedroom upstairs if your kid sleeps well, or if your toddler sleeps poorly (like ours), the upstairs bathroom is big enough to fit your pack-and-play (there is another half-bath downstairs to use during the night).

Clifford House allowed our friends to have another successful annual reunion! It will be the first place I call the next time I travel to Cleveland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cleveland, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The host was very welcoming and the B&B was lovely on the outside. However, the level of cleanliness was less than adequate and the whole place was very cluttered. A large friendly dog was present all the time but I don't like knowing that a large dog has the run of the house where I would be sleeping as well as present at the meal table.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

London, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had a wonderful night's stay. I was looking for a quiet, quaint B & B for my stay in Cleveland, and found that at Clifford House. Jim (the owner) was very kind and engaging, his home was just the right place to stay for me. Breakfast was incredible with a fresh assortment of breads and other items from the local market. And as a pet lover, I got to start my morning giving his dog, Sherlock, a "belly rub"...something that is part of my daily routine with my own dog. Yes, "feels like home". I will most certainly stay again!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sterling, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Clifford House was the perfect place to stay during the National Senior Games, which were held at the new Convention Center. This Ohio City location was perfectly outside of the downtown area but had so many places to eat, drink, shop, and relax. A one block walk and ten minute bus ride to downtown made it convenient to leave the car for most days and avoid the cost and hassle of parking downtown. We had the extended stay apartment. All the luxuries of home if you wanted to have a dinner, treats or game/ puzzle time. We found the equipped kitchen to be quite a bonus. Jim was the perfect host with Sherlock (his friendly dog) by his side gave us a nice tour of the neighborhood and helped with adventure plans. There were a few items in need of repair but Jim was in the process of the continued sprucing up of the B&B. As a whole I could not have picked a better place.

Room Tip: If you are going with a couple of friends for a week or more this is a good place to share. Just rem...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Clifford House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!