“Great hotel downtown. Walking distance to...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
buffalo,ny
“Great hotel downtown. Walking distance to...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Great hotel downtown. Walking distance to a lot of restaurants and rock and roll hall of fame. The rooms were very large, nice jacuzzi tub, high cellings and hardwood floors were nice. The breakfast was good hot and basic. Parking is a lot but that is all of downtown Cleveland and the hotel gives you half off of what the ramp normally charges. The architecture was beautiful for a hotel. Overall great clean place, will stay here again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
DeKalb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I recently stayed in a jacuzzi suite at this hotel over the July 4th weekend and overall it was a nice experience. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the front desk was very helpful, and the breakfast was quite good. The hotel is within a short walk from the lakefront, museums, and sports complexes and is only a half block from the main downtown restaurant area (I would highly recommend The Chocolate Bar for dessert). Sadly many places were closed for the holiday without displaying any signs saying they would be unavailable. The baseball stadium had fireworks a couple nights in a row and I think they actually rivaled the city's show. It was a pretty nice trip and the hotel is in a great location to see downtown Cleveland.

Unfortunately we had some items wander off while we were out one day. I placed an e-book reader in one of the dresser drawers hidden among my clothing since I could not bring it with me or leave it in the car and when we came back later in the day our room had been cleaned and the item was missing along with a cell phone charger that worked with the reader. The manager on duty was very helpful and helped us fill out the necessary paperwork and gave us the contact information for his manager who was not working while we were in town. When we contacted her later in the week after returning home she was also very friendly and helpful. Everyone told us that they would look into the theft and it would probably take a couple of days but they would do everything they could to satisfy us (even to the point of saying they might replace my e-reader if they could not find the missing item). It has now been over 3 weeks and they seem to be ignoring our emails asking for an update. I know I should have been more careful with my valuables but I would at least like to know if I should be buying a replacement or if I need to wait for them.

I would recommend this hotel but just keep your "Do Not Disturb" sign up.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

I have stayed in a lot of HIE's and this one was not my favorite. We booked last minute on hotwire and got a great price and really only needed a place to sleep so we did not need anything special. The building use to be a bank and it has an older feel. The room was very big but felt very run down. The bathroom was not great but you get what you pay for. The location was great, we were able to go for a jog down by the river easily. If you are not looking for anything fancy and just need a less expensive option in downtown Cleveland, this is a nice option but if you want a nicer, newer feel I would choose a different place. I have also stayed at the Doubletree which was much nicer but also more expensive.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stayed at this HIE for 3 nights and primarily chose it for the location. I must say, we were not disappointed at all. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is about a 15 minute walk north, Progressive Field is less than a 10 minute walk south, and the East 4th St. area is about 2 blocks away (visit Flannery's Pub for a perfectly poured pint)!

chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

I just wanted to warn other travellers. I run in the mornings, washed and hung up my shorts in the shower to dry. The next day my shorts were fairly dry, but, when I put them on, a large roach ran down my leg and gave me quite a surprise. I suppose that most city dwellers may be used to these bugs, but I am from the suburbs. I can deal with spiders and most bugs, but I have an aversion to roaches, especially when they are crawling on me. I took a shower and washed all my clothes and stuff in hot water when I got home.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Manasquan, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

When we tried to check in early we were told that the air conditioning had been out the night before and had just been fixed so they could not let us in right away so the rooms could cool down, but come back at 3:00 PM. We did and they let us in our room but it was very warm. We called the front desk and they sent a maintenance person up to “reset” the thermostat. We went to a baseball game and got back to the room but it was still warm. Again called the front desk and they offered to “upgrade” us to a new room. Not our favorite thing to do at close to midnight but we had no choice. The new room was fine although when my wife went to dry her hair the next day the blow dryer didn’t work. They quickly replaced it.

The rooms were modest but nice. About what you would expect at this price range. Very clean. There was not much of a lobby as this is a converted bank building and had the look of an old office building when you walked in. Free breakfast was satisfactory.

The hotel was well centered for things to do in Cleveland. About a 5 – 10 minute walk to baseball stadium, basketball arena and 4th St which is their bar and restaurant area, 15 minute walk to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and football stadium.

Overall our experience was pleasant. Maybe they just had a bad day with the AC problems.

One tip if you are going to a baseball game in town. Since Indians are not very good right now go on StubHub for discounted tickets. Highly recommend “club seat” section. You get ticket to game and all the food, ice cream and soda you can eat and drink for the entire game in very nice, indoor club section. Carving stations, pasta bar, Mexican section, burgers, dogs, etc. Tough to concentrate on game with all the food options you have.

Amity Harbor, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

I was a little skeptical about this hotel because I wasn't sure if the jacuzzi room I was getting would be a real whirlpool in the bedroom or just a glorified bathtub with some jets in the bathroom. I was relieved to see it was outside of the bathroom, and though the shape of it was different than normal, it was still roomy and did the job. I LOVED our room, very spacious and the hardwood floors made it look so modern. And they give you so many little sample treats in the bathroom: shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower cap, make-up remover, etc.
The staff was incredible, every person I was in contact with (about 4-5 different employees) went out of their way to help me. And if you're going to Progressive Field (which is why I was there), you cannot beat the location, just a couple of blocks away. There is also a very cool alleyway across the street from the hotel where there are several different restaurants and nightlife. My husband and I loved Flannery's Pub for some bar food and to watch the games.
Two tiny gripes--the pillows were really small and uncomfortable and the stopper in my jacuzzi wouldn't close all the way, causing the water to drain slowly. But I was only there for one night so it didn't bother me much.
Cleveland was a beautiful city, very clean. I highly recommend this hotel!