“Impressed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Impressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We arrived at the Holiday Inn Express last night for a one night stay before we headed back to Wisconsin. Us weary travelers arrived later at night, and we were greeted with much kindness and courtesy. This is not your standard Holiday Inn. We were quite blown away at the decor, beautiful rooms, spaciousness, and all around lovely hotel. My husband felt like he was in a Ritz Carlton. Our children thought it was very cool to be on the 9th floor of a hotel, which they had never been, and loved the view of the night skyline from our windows. The rooms are VERY spacious and I love that the rooms have hard wood floors. It gives it a nice elegant touch, especially since hotel carpets can get so dirty and gross. The only reason why I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is because you have to use the parking garage across the street. I suppose this is quite normal for getting a hotel in a busy downtown area, but us Wisconsin country people aren't use to that. It felt uneasy, especially since we got there later in the evening when it was dark.

Breakfast at the hotel was misleading, although still decent enough. The front desk staff said, "It's the whole nine yards". I think that is quite an overstatement, as it wasn't anything more than your standard fare. The kids thought the pancake machine was genius though (first time seeing one of those during our travels), but the biscuits were VERY hard. Nobody likes hard biscuits.

The room itself was pretty clean, but the sheets had this smell to them that I can't put my finger on. Not a bad smell...just 'different', for lack of a better word. I liked that there was a soft and firm pillow for each spot on the beds, as not everyone likes the same type of pillow.

Overall, this hotel is quite lovely. It's very different looking, as it was a re-renovated bank (I think?). I love that the hotel still has its original display of decor that once was. It makes it very unique to other hotels.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor. View at night is wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Hotel is in the theater district and near the Horseshoe casino. I was at the Cleveland Clinic and wanted to see some of the nearby attractions. The room, a basic queen bed, was very large and spotless; the bed was extremely comfortable. The check-in staff were courteous and efficient. The complementary breakfast selection was varied and tasty. I had a wonderful dinner at the Hyde Park restaurant and the staff put my leftovers away in their refrigerator because my room didn't have one. There is a parking garage with a self-park charge of $15 and valet-park charge of $20. I will definitely use valet-park the next time I stay...and I will definitely stay there again. The average rating is because the hotel is not in the same category as a Hyatt or Wyndham close by, but they are also more expensive.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Cleveland. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations and made you feel we warranted a low rating. Our goal is to provide everything our guests need and not make them pay for the things they don't and aim to be the best value downtown. I agree, we do not provide the amenities that some of our competitors do but we hope to provide better customer service and effieceny. We hope to see you again soon and serve you better in the future.

Yours in hospitality,
Maria Rose Puliafico
Guest Relations Manager
(216) 536-5469 ext 4402
Maria@holidayinncleveland.com
Massillon, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed for one night. Check in was pretty smooth. We showed up 15 minutes before check in started, but they were already checking people in. I waited about 5 minutes to check in. Not too bad with the line ahead of me.

The room was nice. Very big. It looked like the bathroom was recently updated.

Breakfast was very good.

My only complaint was that the doors shut very loudly.

We had a good time for out one night stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I recently visited this hotel because they had a package for the Rock and Roll hall of Fame.

The room was messy and the bathroom had mild in the shower. Definitely not the room pictured on their website. The free breakfast was horrible.

Friendly staff is all I can say that's positive.

Stayed June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and choosing the Rock Hall Package. We hope you enjoyed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I am sorry to hear you were so disappointed with your stay. This is not like our hotel at all, to provide messy rooms and horrible breakfast, and can understand that it would be frustrating. If you could please contact me at phone number or e-mail below, I would love the opportunity to hear more about your stay so we can correct what happened. I hope to hear from you soon!

Yours in hospitality,
Maria Rose Puliafico
Guest Relations Manager
(216) 536-5469 ext 4402
Maria@holidayinncleveland.com
Carbondale, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Very large room with high ceilings and wood floors. Ours was a regular room w/ 2 comfortable qn. beds. Bathroom also was a nice size. Coffee counter around corner from bathroom would be perfect place for a mirror and light, to serve as additional vanity space. Elevators were very small, but there are several. Must walk down a flight of stairs to get to breakfast area. Breakfast was nicely done, with two very friendly and helpful attendants. Was not there for manager reception. Two computers were in this area with internet access. Not very private. Can get a microwave or frig brought to room, w/ additional charge for each. Public parking garage around corner from hotel is used for hotel guest parking. This is a $15 charge, which I thought was inc. in room price. No. For self-parking, see website for directions. Hard to find w/o them. Valet parking available in front of hotel. Many restaurants w/in walking distance, but tended to be upscale and pricey ($20+ entrees) or bar/grills with limited menus of sandwiches and apps. Mall and other downtown attractions w/in walking also. We drove to Rock and Roll H. of F. Parking was $8 I think, but it was rather far to walk and was raining.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

After riding the scary elevator I was very pleasantly surprised by how nice the room was. The high ceilings and wood floors made the room feel huge. They had a manager reception which I thought was a very nice idea.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Belleville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I had the best time at this establishment. From the time we checked in until the time we left. The employees are so very friendly and polite. Whenever they saw us they stopped to see how things were going. The breakfast bar is awesome, much more than we expected. Managers reception was the highlight of the end of our busy day. If I have the need to come to Cleveland again this will be the first pace I call to make a reservation. The people made us feel very welcome and like family. I want to thank Tiffany, Brittany, Maria, Daniele, Mary and Erica. Hope I didn't forget to acknowledge others. We stayed Monday through Thursday and every day someone went out of their way to be sure we were happy. The rooms are beautiful and clean. My hats off to all employees. Those behind the scenes that I never met. This is truly a team run facility

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!