“Good Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Rockton, IL
“Good Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the beginning of October, 2013. Our room was very cool-meaning neat and comfortable. The breakfast was good. The only other comment I have is, and it may be a little weird, but I just felt that it looked like some work had been done in our room, tile work and painting. My comment is that is was so sloppy. Paint splashes were they don't belong and crooked tiles with grout everywhere. This did not impact our stay, as I said our room was comfortable and the breakfast was nice but it just made me wonder with this how this work looked that it wasn't fixed before the room was rented out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Laura F,

We would like to thank you and your husband for staying with us for your recent trip to Cleveland. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The issues you had with your room are concerning, while they are little things, our goal is to pay attention to detail to offer an exceptional experience and it seems like the ball was dropped on more than one level here. You will be happy to hear that we started an "Adopt-a-Floor" program with all of the managers and supervisors here at the hotel this month. This is where each member of our leadership team, no matter what department, is responsible for a floor in the hotel and once a month goes to every room and look for these little things. We feel sometimes a fresh set of eyes can help locate things that our housekeepers may miss after cleaning room after room everyday. I did a little research and think I have located your reservation and believe you were in 810. If you were not, please contact me! Our 8th floor has actually been "adopted" by our General Manager, Hope Carroll and I am sure she will be anxious to get up there and take care of the poor craftsmanship if she hasn't already! We are excited to have the opportunity to let you know that we are working to make this the best hotel in Cleveland and are really listening to your thoughts and concerns. Thank you so very much for your feedback. If there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to contact me at 216.443.1000 ext 4402 or by email at mariap@experienceclevleand.com. Again thanks for everything and we hope we have another chance to impress you!

216.443.1000 ext 4402
mariap@experiencecleveleand.com

456 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I just got back from a weekend in Cleveland and we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Saturday night.

I was concerned with the recent negative review, but was pleasantly surprised. NO BUGS. CLEAN ROOM. FANTASTIC LOCATION.

The check-in "desk" is more like a little kiosk in a long hallway. A bit odd, but it worked fine. The staff were pleasant, not overly friendly but certainly not rude. I did not wait at all for check in or check out.

I checked over the room very carefully---it was spotless. The room was as others have described----hard floors, tall ceilings, plenty of room. Small flat screen, small desk, a chair/ottoman, microwave, small coffee pot, Bath and Body Works shampoo/conditioner/lotion.

I can't say anything negative about the room. There is noise from the halls and the doors slamming, but I can sleep through anything so it didn't bother me.

Breakfast was what I expect from HIE: eggs, sausage gravy, biscuits, sausage patties, pancake machine, cinnamon rolls, bagels, yogurt, juice, etc. The one surprise was that the breakfast area was very big and spacious----not like most where you have to wait for a seat and everyone is crammed into a tiny room. In fact, the whole area on the Mezzanine floor was really nice; there was a fitness room, a little arcade room with a few games, a pool table, and a lot of sitting areas with a fireplace. Great place to hang with friends and play some games, gab, etc.

This hotel is really close to a lot of fun things. We went to a concert at the Q (where the Cavs play) and then went to a Browns game the next day. Both were easily walk-able. We also walked to the Horseshoe Casino.

Parking is right around the corner, a very, very short walk. Easy to get in. The hotel will validate your parking ticket so you can pay with your bill, and then all you do is put the ticket in the machine on your way out. The signs said $12/day, but I thought the hotel said $14/day. I'll have to check my credit card bill to see what the hotel actually charged me. Either way, for a big city, that's not horrible for parking and it is so close so in my mind it is worth it.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Great value for such a great location!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
brownstravelgirl,

Thank you so much for staying with us. I am so glad that despite your examination of our negative reviews that you still gave us a chance. Thank so much also for your feedback. To clarify parking, you were charged $14. Under the $12 parking sign is "the fine print" where they state "Overnight parking will result in additional charges". The garage charges directly $12 for the business day and another $10-$14 overnight, resulting in a $22+ charge and you have to pay ever time you come in and out. However, our guests have the option to have $14 per night per car charged to their room with unlimited in and out privileges. Again thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time in Cleveland! Hope to see you again soon!

216.443.1000 ext 4402
mariap@experiencecleveleand.com
Ohio, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Hallway to room (floor 14) smelled of stale air and body odor. Housekeepers ignored our 'hellos' and glared at my disabled husband. As we entered our room, the smell got worse! There was candle wax melted on bar, dried urine on toilet, a hair in the whirlpool, sheets were bally, bed was uncomfortable, doors had no catch so they shut loudly all night, windows very dirty and drafty, showed was loose and way to low, spoon behind the bed, french fry by the faucet,jet in whirlpool was broke, drapes smelled old and dusty AND I got bit by something all night and now have a rash all over my legs! When we went to the front desk to complain there was not a soul in sight, in the morning there was different staff who treated my disabled husband even more poorly. He is a paying customer Holiday Inn...not an inconvenience.
The only staff that was kind to us were the staff preparing breakfast.
I am very disappointed in this hotel. Maybe instead of making my Kleenexes into a flower...housekeeping should worry about cleaning the room.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
rahwie13,

Thank you for staying with us. I can not even begin to explain or imagine the experience you had here with us. Was this brought to someones attention? I have reviewed the Phone Logs in November from calls from the 14th floor and found nothing like this reported. I also went and did a random check of the two rooms with whirlpool tubs on the 14th floor and found nothing close to what you have described. I have reviewed the housekeepers inspection sheets that cleans this floor and also, found nothing even remotely close to anything you have described anywhere in her history. Please, please contact us so we can figure out how this happened. While we are not clean from bad reviews, we have never received any feedback quite like this, and we are lacking the information to figure out how this could have happened. I can be reached by e-mail at mariap@experiencecleveland.com or by phone at 216.443.1000. We are so very sorry for the experience you had with us, and we are even more so anxious to figure out what happened. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

216.443.1000
mariap@experiencecleveland.com
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Very different experience from a "typical" Holiday Inn Express. Located in an old Bank Skyscraper downtown, a couple blocks away from House of Blues. Staff really acts like the guest is special, everyone very attentive and polite. Rooms are also larger and decorated differently than the normal Holiday Inn Express. On the be careful side of the review, rooms can be noisy, not from other guests, but from the traffic on the street early in the morning, hotel sits on a major Cleveland Bus route. Parking is very secure and across the street from the hotel, the cost is not included in the rate.

Room Tip: Try not to get a corner room if street noise bothers you, view from corner rooms is fabulous!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
rockford ,IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights in a jacuzzi suite. I would not recommend this. The room was large, clean, comfortable, and very nice. The trouble is that it was very noisy. We could hear the jacuzzi next door (or above?) all night long. Someone really liked baths. The hotel is a renovated vintage bank building very near the theater district and within walking distance to many good restaurants. However, the high ceilings and old wood floors offer no sound baffling. While I liked the location and the room, I would not stay there again as I did not get much sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
teachem4,
Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown. I am sorry to hear your found your stay noisy. I presented your comments to our leadership team at our meeting this Tuesday and we have a few things we are going to try to help noise proof the rooms. Thank you for the comments! We love your feedback and its comments like yours that will help us become a better hotel. Again, thank you for staying with us, we hope we have another opportunity to get you a better night's sleep in the future.

216.443.1000
mariap@experiencecleveland.com
Pompano Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Perfect location for dining and walking, huge room nicely decorated, friendly staff. Beautiful older building. 4th street has a great collections of dining options and casino within walking distance. T

My husband, who is from Cleveland, was so impressed about how much 4th street has changed.

I didn't notice if they had a pool or spa, therefore, I cannot rate with any accuracy

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Beautiful hotel in a historic bank building in the center of Downtown Cleveland. Walking distance to all the restaurants and clubs. This hotel has just gone through renovations and it is evident in the cleanliness of our room and the lobby and the breakfast area. We will absolutely be staying here again. Great front desk staff, beautiful building, modern funky vibe in our room with hard wood floors, great views, comfortable bed and new linens! Just can't say enough nice things about the place. Had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!