“Love staying in old buildings converted into hotels” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Love staying in old buildings converted into hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Perfect location for dining and walking, huge room nicely decorated, friendly staff. Beautiful older building. 4th street has a great collections of dining options and casino within walking distance. T

My husband, who is from Cleveland, was so impressed about how much 4th street has changed.

I didn't notice if they had a pool or spa, therefore, I cannot rate with any accuracy

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

460 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Beautiful hotel in a historic bank building in the center of Downtown Cleveland. Walking distance to all the restaurants and clubs. This hotel has just gone through renovations and it is evident in the cleanliness of our room and the lobby and the breakfast area. We will absolutely be staying here again. Great front desk staff, beautiful building, modern funky vibe in our room with hard wood floors, great views, comfortable bed and new linens! Just can't say enough nice things about the place. Had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ligonier PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

On Euclid Avenue, the location of this property is hard to beat in Cleveland. Every attraction is within a 15 minute walk; moreover, the hotel is on top of a great sector for dining and shopping. It is a perfect choice if you are going to the House of Blues, a three-minute walk door-to-door. There is no valet service; you will have to carry your own bags and park your own car. But I did not find this inconvenient--I can handle my own dolley and the parking garage is but a couple of hundred feet away. So I was settled in and parked in about 20 minutes, traveling solo. The room had high ceilings and a hardwood floor, a 32 inch HD TV, a minifridge, sink, coffeemaker and plenty of floor space. The bathroom was just fine. The elevator cars are tiny and old, but the service is good; top wait was 3 minutes. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. I got out of there for about $200 which included parking and breakfast.

Room Tip: a room with a lake view might be a nice request. My view was of the HVAC units.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown for three nights while visiting the Cleveland area. It is a decent choice when staying downtown, with one concern.

VALUE: The price was reasonable, but I booked through Priceline. That said, the posted rates are comparable to similar properties.

LOCATION: The hotel is conveniently located near major downtown attractions, such as Progressive Field and the restaurants on East 4th St., as well as rapid transit. I walked to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

SLEEP QUALITY: Just fine! Downtown Cleveland is not especially bustling, so outside noise was not a factor.

ROOMS: The hotel is located in an old bank building, so you hardly feel like you're in a typical HI Express. My room had a loft-like quality to it with very high ceilings. It was a nice change of pace.

CLEANLINESS: I am loathe to mention this, but I found small roach-like insects in my room on the day of my departure. However, the room seemed like it was cleaned thoroughly, so the source of the problem wasn't obvious. I mentioned it to the hotel staff as I checked out and they seemed alarmed, but I don't know how they followed up.

SERVICE: Good overall. When Priceline booked me in a smoking room, they graciously switched me to a non-smoking one even though they had no obligation to do so (and to a suite, no less!). Breakfast was standard HI Express fare, but was fully stocked.

I would gladly give this place another dot, but I'm always going to prefer a bad hotel without an insect problem, than a good one that does. That said, I would not object to giving this place another shot in the future.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Aaron R,

Thank you so much for staying at the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown. I am so sorry to hear about your experience. We did follow up, in fact, we are on program with Certified Pest Control, the highest ranked pest control company by the Health Department. We do not take pests lightly. Because we are a downtown hotel, some sightings are impossible to avoid, especially with all the construction they have been doing downtown, but we do feel confident we do everything in our power to keep our rooms clean and pest free. Again, I am so sorry about your experience. It is not common of our hotel at all and we hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Yours in Hospitality,
Maria Rose Puliafico
Guest Relations Manager
216.443.1000
mariap@experiencecleveland.com
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed one night (October 10, 2013) on our way to memorial service in NY. Newly renovated Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, located in Cleveland's financial district between E. 9th St and E. 6th St on Euclid Ave. formally 19th century historic Guardian Bank Building high-rise, built in 1894 and originally known as the New England Building and later known as the National City Bank Building.

Friendly and accommodating staff. Every employee we encountered treated us very well and were warm and friendly..... now how rare is that! Beautiful HUGE room with extra high, 13 foot ceilings and floor to ceiling drapes, natural wood flooring and oversized windows. Beautiful lobby, turn of the century moldings and chandeliers. Would definitely stay again.

Free continental breakfast and pinball machines in the game room. Many nearby attractions (superb restaurants, bars, sports venues, concert halls, museums, etc.) however, like many cities DON'T walk around alone in the streets at night.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi Room costs just a bit more but well worth the price. Interesting set up with shower in the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here for a night to catch an Indians game in late August. The hotel is set in a classic bank, which makes for an interesting lobby. However, the elevators appear as if they are originals; wait time for them was longer than average. Parking is right next to the hotel and is very reasonably priced.

My friends and I stayed in a very nice suite, fully upgraded will all of the amenities one would want. Room was quiet, AC strong, and the bedding was excellent - grabbed a great night of sleep. Lock was squirrely, but after the 2nd or 3rd time, it would work.

The surrounding area was fine by day, but started to get sketchy by 10 p.m. Front desk staff were generally useless when we asked them about the surrounding area and places to eat - a map, a directory, or even some take-out menus would have been helpful.

It was towards the end of the trip when everything started to come apart. The morning we were leaving, a very large bug ran across the nice hardwood floor in our suite. Then, the lock to the room completely broke - it took us 20 minutes and 4 keys to get out stuff out and hit the road.

Got a great night of sleep in a nice room, and had a good time in Cleveland. In light of the issues that we encountered though, I'm glad we were only there for one night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
MKB1701,

Thank you so much for staying with us for your trip to the ball-game. I am so sorry to hear about the issues you had departing the morning after your stay with us. If you can find the time, please contact me so I can hear about your experience in further detail, this way we are able to pin-point the problem more accurately. Large bugs are not like this hotel at all (otherwise I would not be working here! I do not do bugs AT ALL!) and if there was a problem with your door lock, I would love to know what room so I can follow up and make sure it was taken care of. We never like to hear a guest was happy they checked out with us, we want our guests to love our hotel and service, that is why your feedback is so important to us. Thank you so much for taking the time out to review the hotel as it is reviews like this that help us improve. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon, and hopefully have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Yours in Hospitality,
Maria Rose Puliafico
Guest Relations Manager
216.443.1000 ext 4402
mariap@experiencecleveland.com
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My bride and I stayed at this hotel for approximately a month September-October. We were here for an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic (Excellent). Check-in was quick and the staff (Shelly, Garland) was awesome and made us feel at home. The main lobby has high ceilings and historical designs, however, you have a sense of old yet comfortable living style. The room where we lived was very nice. It had hardwood floors, refrigerator, microwave and office space. We had wonderful views of Euclid Avenue and could not have asked for a better hotel. The location is downtown and everything is within walking distance, make sure you bring your camera!!! The staff from the check-in to the dining area was excellent. We had a chance to meet Jeanette Burrell, S. Cade. Denita Ray and Alice which made us feel like we were in grandmas kitchen every day of the week. The dining area was very well prepared and the staff greeted you with a smile or conversation, which ever you prefer. The staff at this hotel was very flexible and catered to our needs. Anything we asked for we received in an expedient manner. The hotel is only 10 minutes away from the Cleveland Clinic, which was perfect for the amount of time of our stay. We highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying here again in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!