“Cool building, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
“Cool building, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown for three nights while visiting the Cleveland area. It is a decent choice when staying downtown, with one concern.

VALUE: The price was reasonable, but I booked through Priceline. That said, the posted rates are comparable to similar properties.

LOCATION: The hotel is conveniently located near major downtown attractions, such as Progressive Field and the restaurants on East 4th St., as well as rapid transit. I walked to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

SLEEP QUALITY: Just fine! Downtown Cleveland is not especially bustling, so outside noise was not a factor.

ROOMS: The hotel is located in an old bank building, so you hardly feel like you're in a typical HI Express. My room had a loft-like quality to it with very high ceilings. It was a nice change of pace.

CLEANLINESS: I am loathe to mention this, but I found small roach-like insects in my room on the day of my departure. However, the room seemed like it was cleaned thoroughly, so the source of the problem wasn't obvious. I mentioned it to the hotel staff as I checked out and they seemed alarmed, but I don't know how they followed up.

SERVICE: Good overall. When Priceline booked me in a smoking room, they graciously switched me to a non-smoking one even though they had no obligation to do so (and to a suite, no less!). Breakfast was standard HI Express fare, but was fully stocked.

I would gladly give this place another dot, but I'm always going to prefer a bad hotel without an insect problem, than a good one that does. That said, I would not object to giving this place another shot in the future.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Aaron R,

Thank you so much for staying at the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown. I am so sorry to hear about your experience. We did follow up, in fact, we are on program with Certified Pest Control, the highest ranked pest control company by the Health Department. We do not take pests lightly. Because we are a downtown hotel, some sightings are impossible to avoid, especially with all the construction they have been doing downtown, but we do feel confident we do everything in our power to keep our rooms clean and pest free. Again, I am so sorry about your experience. It is not common of our hotel at all and we hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Yours in Hospitality,
Maria Rose Puliafico
Guest Relations Manager
216.443.1000
mariap@experiencecleveland.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed one night (October 10, 2013) on our way to memorial service in NY. Newly renovated Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, located in Cleveland's financial district between E. 9th St and E. 6th St on Euclid Ave. formally 19th century historic Guardian Bank Building high-rise, built in 1894 and originally known as the New England Building and later known as the National City Bank Building.

Friendly and accommodating staff. Every employee we encountered treated us very well and were warm and friendly..... now how rare is that! Beautiful HUGE room with extra high, 13 foot ceilings and floor to ceiling drapes, natural wood flooring and oversized windows. Beautiful lobby, turn of the century moldings and chandeliers. Would definitely stay again.

Free continental breakfast and pinball machines in the game room. Many nearby attractions (superb restaurants, bars, sports venues, concert halls, museums, etc.) however, like many cities DON'T walk around alone in the streets at night.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi Room costs just a bit more but well worth the price. Interesting set up with shower in the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here for a night to catch an Indians game in late August. The hotel is set in a classic bank, which makes for an interesting lobby. However, the elevators appear as if they are originals; wait time for them was longer than average. Parking is right next to the hotel and is very reasonably priced.

My friends and I stayed in a very nice suite, fully upgraded will all of the amenities one would want. Room was quiet, AC strong, and the bedding was excellent - grabbed a great night of sleep. Lock was squirrely, but after the 2nd or 3rd time, it would work.

The surrounding area was fine by day, but started to get sketchy by 10 p.m. Front desk staff were generally useless when we asked them about the surrounding area and places to eat - a map, a directory, or even some take-out menus would have been helpful.

It was towards the end of the trip when everything started to come apart. The morning we were leaving, a very large bug ran across the nice hardwood floor in our suite. Then, the lock to the room completely broke - it took us 20 minutes and 4 keys to get out stuff out and hit the road.

Got a great night of sleep in a nice room, and had a good time in Cleveland. In light of the issues that we encountered though, I'm glad we were only there for one night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
MKB1701,

Thank you so much for staying with us for your trip to the ball-game. I am so sorry to hear about the issues you had departing the morning after your stay with us. If you can find the time, please contact me so I can hear about your experience in further detail, this way we are able to pin-point the problem more accurately. Large bugs are not like this hotel at all (otherwise I would not be working here! I do not do bugs AT ALL!) and if there was a problem with your door lock, I would love to know what room so I can follow up and make sure it was taken care of. We never like to hear a guest was happy they checked out with us, we want our guests to love our hotel and service, that is why your feedback is so important to us. Thank you so much for taking the time out to review the hotel as it is reviews like this that help us improve. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon, and hopefully have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Yours in Hospitality,
Maria Rose Puliafico
Guest Relations Manager
216.443.1000 ext 4402
mariap@experiencecleveland.com
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My bride and I stayed at this hotel for approximately a month September-October. We were here for an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic (Excellent). Check-in was quick and the staff (Shelly, Garland) was awesome and made us feel at home. The main lobby has high ceilings and historical designs, however, you have a sense of old yet comfortable living style. The room where we lived was very nice. It had hardwood floors, refrigerator, microwave and office space. We had wonderful views of Euclid Avenue and could not have asked for a better hotel. The location is downtown and everything is within walking distance, make sure you bring your camera!!! The staff from the check-in to the dining area was excellent. We had a chance to meet Jeanette Burrell, S. Cade. Denita Ray and Alice which made us feel like we were in grandmas kitchen every day of the week. The dining area was very well prepared and the staff greeted you with a smile or conversation, which ever you prefer. The staff at this hotel was very flexible and catered to our needs. Anything we asked for we received in an expedient manner. The hotel is only 10 minutes away from the Cleveland Clinic, which was perfect for the amount of time of our stay. We highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying here again in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Aurora, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Well, I've always wanted to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, so when my son said "Let's go", I jumped at the opportunity. The drive from just north of Toronto through Fort Erie/Buffalo was around 5 1/2 hours. We drove all night to grab an extra day in Cleveland. After breakfast at a greasy spoon (is there any better breakfasts?) we swung by the hotel around 7:30am, knowing full well that our checkin time was 4 in the afternoon. I asked to check in and they did so graciously. That gave us a base to recharge our batteries before heading out to see the sites. A renovated old factory with 13 foot ceilings, hardwood floors and location, location, location! My gawd, this is right downtown and within walking distance of everything. We took in an Indians ball game at Progressive Field. Closer than the ball yard to the hotel is The Quicken, where The Cavaliers play NBA. In the other direction, the home of the Cleveland Browns is a stone's throw away. As is the RR HOF. Tired of walking? There are 4 trolley routes around the downtown core........all FREE. What I was amazed at was, for a city of 320,000, there was next to no traffic downtown!

Breakfast is included each morning at this hotel......buffet with lots of choices so come hungry. All in all, a fabulously located hotel, well within the budget of anyone. I'm not one that needs to have turn down service or chocolates on my pillows. Just give me a cheap, clean hotel......a place to rest my bones, and I'm happy. You'll find just that at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown Cleveland.

Cheers. Gin

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I only stayed one night, but I absolutely loved it. Literally the only flaw would be having the parking around the corner. The room was gorgeous with its high ceilings. I had a corner room, which I highly recommend requesting. Very comfortable!

Room Tip: Corner room on a higher floor. Better views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

I chose this hotel due to it's location and the advanced purchase deal. Met at the front desk by a lovely young lady. Check in was quick. This is an old bank building with a lot of charm. The room I had was a king suite with a double hot tub. The room was huge, high ceilings, hard wood floors and 1 ceiling to floor window. The only complaint I would have is you have to park around the corner in a weird parking garage that cost $14/day. You then have to walk with all of your luggage and the smoking floor that I requested really stunk (but my choice).

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!