“Time warp” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
“Time warp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

When you walk in, it feels like you have entered the set of Ghostbusters or entered a time machine at least (in a good way). The elevators were my favorite part (until we got to room).The building is a converted bank building and it is really beautiful when you walk in. I could go on about the architecture; so let me just say take a virtual tour and check it out. The rooms were impeccably clean. The rooms were very modern, which is a nice contrast to the lobby and exterior. Great tv, comfortable bed. The hardwood floors and high ceilings were beautiful. The windows seemed original to the building which was very cool. The only thing was that the bathroom didn't match up to how nice the rest of the room was. The counter top was very nice, but the tile and shower just didn't match up. Certainly not a deal breaker, but it kind of took away from how great the rest of the room really is.

As for the negative experiences shared by other guests, we (thankfully) did not have any such misfortune. I can see where noise in the hall was a problem if anyone came to their room late. But, that really isn't something the staff can do a great deal about. We just turned on the AC unit just in case and it was perfect for sleeping.

We stayed here for a concert at the House of Blues. This hotel is an easy, short walk to the venue. The hotel is near the 4th St. area which is full of bars, places to eat, etc. So, there were lots of people walking around after the concert. We felt safe walking around later in the evening (around 11) and the short walk back to the hotel was a great plus. I really cannot recommend this hotel enough for a House of Blues concert.

The parking for the hotel is next door in a parking garage ($14.00/day). It is actually about a half block from the hotel, but you can pull up front and unload and then go to the garage (it is a very short walk). Next time we go to Cleveland, we will be staying here.

Also, check out the Christmas Story house which is about 3 miles away. (Read some reviews on it...)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Rkclimbr,

Thank you so much for staying with us! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you for taking the time out to share your feedback. We really appreciate it! Till we see you again, Happy Travels!

Yours in hospitality,
mariap@experiencecleveland.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Hartville, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for an evening in a jacuzzi suite. The room was perfect! Comfortable bed with great views of The river. We were in walking distance of many bars, restaurants and the casino. No compliants!

• Stayed May 2013
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Sherry S,

Happy anniversary! Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown. We are thrilled to hear that we were able to accommodate you so well for your recent getaway. Best wishes to you and yours, and we hope to see you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Nice accommodation right at the core of Cleveland, old building kinda creepy, I got a corner room with two huge windows that took me back to the 1930's. the size of the room is huge but it lacks of some stuff like a small fridge or a microwave etc.

• Stayed June 2013
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Xahriy,

Thank you for staying with us for your recent trip to Cleveland. We are the most historical Holiday Inn Express in the nation but we are dedicated to being one of the most contemporary in Cleveland as well. I am sorry to hear that our attempts to create a historically charming but modern metropolitan atmosphere came off as creepy. I would love to hear if you have any other feedback on what you think would make our hotel more warm and welcoming. We really appreciate your feedback and are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely loved this place! Gorgeous gym floors, tall ceilings and my room had a killer
Jet tub!! I always thought crap of Cleveland but between this hotel and the nearby beach I won't mind heading back there for work!

• Stayed June 2013
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Chdcarro,

Thank you for staying with us! I am so happy to hear that you have a better impression of Cleveland, Ohio due to your recent visit. Our city is so full of life, creativity, great people, great attractions and AMAZING food and has really become a shining example of what it means to make a comeback. We are so proud of our city and our hotel, it is so awesome to hear that you, our guest, is seeing it the same way we do. I will be sure to share your kind comments with our staff and Visitors Bureau. They will be so excited! Thank you for posting, and again for staying with us. We will see you again soon!

P: 216.443.1000
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in early 2011 and had absolutely no problems. Following that visit, I gave a very positive review on this site. I visited Cleveland again earlier this year and stayed at this same hotel. This visit was far less pleasant. When I checked in the man at the front desk told me he could not find my reservation even though I had made one weeks in advance. He acted as if I was asking him to perform some huge task to check again. He was very smug and cocky about it as if I were asking his to do something other than his job. Eventually we found my reservation(turns out he typed my name in wrong) and I got my keys and went up to my room. Once getting to my room I just wanted to lay down after a long trip but my keys did not work and I could not get inside. I went back down to the lobby to tell the worker who gave me the keys that they did not work. When I handed them to him, he just looked at them and told me to try again. I told him that they still were not going to work because he did nothing but look at them. He then said to me, "What do you know?" I told him I wanted to speak with someone else and he just walked away. He did not get another worker. I waited for 15 minutes before another worker came out. She apologized for the keys not working and gave me new ones. She was very nice although I was left with a very bitter feeling after dealing with the first worker. I am very surprised this hotel would hire people who would be so rude and smug with customers. Next time I visit Cleveland(which I do frequently) I'll be sure to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ExplorerTW,

Thank you so much for staying at the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown for your recent trip to Cleveland. I am so sorry to hear you were so disappointed by the service you received. This is totally our of character for our front desk staff and I would love the opportunity to speak with you about this situation in more detail. I would really appreciate it if you could call me at 216.443.1000 ext 4402 or e-mail me at mariap@experiencecleveland.com. Again, I am so sorry to hear of the poor service you were provided, we live a service culture that is dedicated to genuine midwestern hospitality and value the relationships that we create with our guests. Our intentions are to leave you impressed, not to shock you in a negative way and in this we have failed. We will use your review as a training tool for the front desk staff to help us provide the level of service that we are aiming for. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is truly a gift. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

P: 216.443.1000
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have stayed here twice in the past year. I strongly feel that for the price this is the best hotel to stay at if you are going to The Horseshoe. I pay a little over $100 with my AAA discount and the rooms are clean with hardwood floors. Don't get me wrong it isn't a 5 star hotel but you can't beat the price. 2 years ago I picked a different hotel to go to by the casino payed twice the price and it's was father away and absolutely disgusting.

Room Tip: There is a parking garage around the corner. The Holiday Inn will give you a discount if you park th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
KittyKatla,

Thank you for staying with us! Here at the Holiday Inn Express, we pride ourselves on offering everything that you need and nothing that you don't. This helps us provide some of the most competitive prices downtown. Our rates include Wi-Fi and Breakfast and our $14 self-parking is the cheapest of any other nearby hotel. It just makes sense. Thats why we always tell everyone to "Stay Smart!" I am so glad that you enjoyed the hardwood floors too. Let us know when you will be back! Win big at Horseshoe for us next time! Thank you for your review and see you soon!

SF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

All in all, I was very happy with our stay, *but* if it would bother you not to have maid service for 3 days, you might not like this. On the first day, they tried to come at around 8 (!), but we were still in bed. After that, we didn't see them. On the other hand, I found the people at the front desk to be very helpful. We never had breakfast there, so I can't comment on that.

The location is very convenient to restaurants, etc. I didn't mind that the parking was across the street.

One other possibly large drawback is that the sound insulation is not very good. We could hear every possible noise in the hallway.

The bed was pretty soft and made a lot of noise, and the pillows weren't too good, but that didn't bother me.

It is a former bank that has been converted into a hotel. I really liked the style of the room and the building in general. It has a quirky, modern, retro feel that was much nicer than I expected.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!