“13th Floor” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
Cincinnati
“13th Floor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is one of the most unique hotels i have ever stayed in. It was once a bank and it really shows. The elevators are small and look like something right out of Madmen. The front desk is in a very spacious lobby area. We stayed in room #1310. Yes, it has a 13th floor. It was kind of creepy but also very cool. The jacuzzi, wood floors, and high ceilings are very cool. We had a great view of the lake and as a bonus you get to spy on all the office workers in the adjacent office buildings! I am not kidding, if you stay Sunday night you better close the shades because you will wake up to a hundred office workers toiling away right outside your window. The place is so cool and so close to EVERYTHING there really is no reason to consider anything else downtown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Let me start by saying this is a very unique and different HIE. Not a "cookie-cutter" design. Let's start from the begining. Checkin is a little tricky if you are driving to the hotel becuase there is no parking lot on the property, and only a few street parallel spots in front (this is typical of inner city hotels). If you are driving and there are no parking spots in front of the hotel , I would recommend parking your car first and then checking in. The parking garage is on E 6th Street. Just take the right on to E6th and the garage is on the left. Keep the green ticket stub so that you can have it validated at the front desk. That will save you $8 buck/day (parking is $22/day for hotel guests). If you want to save a few more buck there are other outdoor lots nearby that are cheaper, but usually you don't get in/out privileges at those type of lots. And i would rather park in a garage than an outdoor lot.

Checkin was easy and fast. The front desk staff were very nice and efficient. The elevators are small, but there are 4 of them so I didn't have any problem. I had a king Jacuzzi room (1010) and it was very large, high ceilings, hardwood floors. Coffee maker, mini refrig, microwave in the room. Bed was very comfortable. The breakfast area is on the mezzanine floor and is huge. When you get of the elevators there is a small game room with 4 or 5 games (pinball, shooter games, racing games) and a pool table. Then you walk down a set of stairs to a massive lounge. Gas fireplace, couches, lounge chairs, tables, all very nice and not typical of an HIE. The breakfast buffet was typical HIE fare; eggs, bacon, biscuts, hotbuns, cereal, etc.

I'm sure February is a slow time of year for this area and things would be more hectic in the summer, but I would definitly stay here again.

Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Loved the idea of this being an old bank. Rooms were huge! I appreciated the free water in the lounge area off the lobby and the kids loved the free popcorn. Nice location and reasonable price for a hotel with great character. Breakfast was only so-so, but on par with what I've seen at a lot of other places, so I don't rate this Express down for having only the basics and/or industrial eggs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Judybat26
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown for your recent trip to Cleveland. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you respected the historic nature of our building. We also appreciate your understanding with breakfast. The food we serve is required by Holiday Inn Express brand standard, and while we don’t have a chef making made to order omelets, we do have some of the sweetest girls in Cleveland serving up what we believe is one of the best free breakfasts you can get these days! Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. Your feedback is very much a gift. Hope to see you soon and in the meantime, happy travels!

Mariap@experiencecleveland.com
Le Mans, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Wow!
The rooms in this hotel are massive! With Jacuzzi baths and kitchenette. Lifts are slow in peak times. Breakfast buffet us adequate for express hotel.
Left my iPhone staff found and turned off and bagged and I need id to retrieve so thought service excellent!

• Stayed October 2012
ajpWales,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express. We are so happy that you found your phone and proceeded to post this review from it! Your feedback is truly a gift and we understand how much people depend on their cell phones. We are also pleased to hear that you prized the spaciousness of our guest rooms. You can’t go wrong with the 13ft grand ceilings and the largest standard rooms in Cleveland! We hope to see you soon ajpWales!

Mariap@experiencecleveland.com
laschroet
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I really liked the location, very central, and the style of the hotel. The hardwood floors and high ceilings were definitely a nice, unusual touch.
One problem though: the floor was dirty in my room (1408) on Thursday, February 7, 2013. It felt dirty just walking on it in socks. Just to prove my point I took a Kleenex, put a little water on it and wiped the floor.. yes, it was dirty. The room was not even Swiffered.. that would take 2 minutes.
I only stayed overnight so this wasn't a big feal, but you would not expect this from a classy-looking downtown hotel.
I took a picture and left a note to prove my point.

I would come back because I truly enjoyed it and had a nice experience overall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear laschroet,

However, We’re sorry about the poor cleanliness on your room which was unacceptable. We will address this point and assure you we will work to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I spent one night here on a business trip to Cleveland. The layout of this hotel is different than any Holiday Inn Express I have ever visited. It is in a renovated downtown high rise (15 stories). The "front desk" is located in a breezeway on the first floor. Parking is just around the block, but there is no connection from the garage to the hotel - you must walk back outside and cross one not very busy street to get back to the hotel. They do encourage you to drop your bags before you park, though, so they have done what they can to address this inconvenience.

The adventure continues as you enter the elevators, which seem to be original to the building. They are small. If you are a bit claustrophobic I suspect you would be uncomfortable, but they move quickly. The elevators were quick to arrive during my visit, though the hotel did not seem to be very crowded.

Next up was the room - hardwood floors and maybe 14 foot ceilings? I think I could have set up a regulation basketball hoop and played a game. The room was clean and my wi-fi internet did work (14th floor). I liked the heat/AC unit - it made enough noise to drown out any other hotel sounds. I like sleeping in those conditions. The unit was a little tricky to set up, temperature wise. As far as the bed and linens - I thought they were fine, but I am not particularly sensitive when it comes to sleeping. Regarding comments about loud AC units - hardwood floors definitely reflect sound much more readily than a carpeted surface. So yeah, the room acoustics are different that your typical hotel room.

There was a nicely equipped exercise facility with two treadmills, a bike and an elliptical along with a weight machine and free weights. There was a game room with 5 or 6 coin games and also a pool table in a very inviting environment with windows overlooking the street below. Breakfast was the normal HIE express fare.

Location wise I could see into the baseball stadium form my window, so I think it was within walking distance. I did not explore much but I did walk about a ten blocks to my meeting and overall it seems to be in a good location. Still you are downtown in a big city, so be aware of your surroundings. For a six foot plus man there was nothing intimidating about the surroundings, and there were lots of people out and about. The "Health Line" bus has a station directly in front of the hotel. I did not use it but the public transportation option is there.

This hotel is different - for most people the location and prices will determine if it works for you - and if it does then I can recommend it. If you demand a plush environment or are really a picky, light sleeper then maybe you should give this hotel a pass. For some people, different is bad. I kind of like different, especially when it works.

Delaware, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I booked a suite for a girls night out getaway weekend. I booked the hotel through their website with my credit card & received confirmation via email. Checked my credit card statement and found they had, in fact, charged my card for the room. A few days before our stay I received another email from the hotel confirming that I had booked it. On the day of arrival, upon check in, everything went downhill. The attendant at the front desk took my info for check in, and informed me I would need a credit card for payment of the room. I informed her that I had already paid, and my credit card statement reflected that. She assured me that payment had not been made and invited me to use the computer on the upstairs level to confirm my credit card statement. After hauling myself & my bags to the upstairs level to use the computer I found that I would need a login in & password to access the computer, which the attendant never told me. I then decided to use my phone to access my credit card statement, only to find that the hotel had charged me, but the charge had dropped off. I have never been to a hotel that wasn't paid for in advance. I went back down, gave the attendant my card & checked in to the hotel. Dropped my bags in the room, which was very spacious & nice. Headed back out for dinner & a comedy show. When we came back we checked with the front desk to see if there was anywhere we could buy a 12 pack of beer for a night cap in our room. She assured us that no one would deliver, there were no gas stations in the area, but there was a place close that we could get beer. We headed back out, the place she sent us was not as close as she said it was, but we were already out so decided to trek on. We got there, ordered our beer, they brought it up & informed us it would be $44 for a 12 pack. Ha! No thanks, we decided to do without it. Headed back to our room, deciding to settle in for the night. There were 6 of us, which is what I booked on the hotel website. The hotel had 2 beds, plus a pull out sofa bed. As we were getting the sofa bed ready we realized there was no bedding provided for it. I called down to the front desk, requested the bedding and she assured me she would send it right up. Meanwhile we decided to order pizza, found a company that would deliver, they also said they would deliver a 12 pack & wouldn't charge $44 for it, they would charge us normal price! Excellent! An hour passed with still no bedding for the sofa bed, so I called back down & the same attendant told me they were completely out! Not a pillow or blanket in the entire hotel! How is that even possible? A gentleman did knock on our door a few minutes later with one lonely blanket to offer us, when we asked if we could get a sheet for the sofa bed & some extra pillows he informed us they were out of both. When we told him there were 6 of us in the room & we needed the bedding for the sofa bed his response was "There shouldn't be that many people in the room, if I find anymore I'll bring them up." Why on Earth, if the room was not supposed to accommodate 6 people, would they have that option on their website? Why, also, would they not have bedding cleaned & stored on a shelf in the closet for the sofa bed? We were forced to spread the only blanket on the blood stained sofa bed, just so we didn't have to sleep on the floor. Morning's breakfast was complimentary, albeit standard hotel food. Upon checkout, I witnessed one of the front desk attendants arguing with a past hotel guest on the phone regarding the guest's credit card being charged twice. The attendant that helped me check out continually rolled her eyes at the ongoing phone conversation. I signed the necessary paperwork & should have been on my way, but decided to ask for a receipt for my stay, so that I wouldn't be the one calling in a few weeks regarding a double charge, and ended up waiting 10 additional minutes for her to print the receipt out. All being said, the hotel was nice, the updated decor inside the historic building a very nice feature. However, I feel the service I received during my stay was not up to the standards I would think a Holiday Inn Express should be, and when they asked me to review their hotel on their website, i did so. However, you will not find that review listed anywhere on their site, nor did i receive so much as an apology for the terrible service they provided. I would expect bloodstained mattresses, insufficient bedding, and rude customer service at a $39.99/night hotel, not a $200/night suite. Next time I'm in the Cleveland area I will stay somewhere else, and Holiday Inn you should be ashamed of the service you are providing at this location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
I first would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown. It is extremely regretful to hear of the poor service you received during your visit with us. Please be assured that your reservation was found, as well as staff responsible and our front office and security staff is being addressed by management. I was unable to find the stain on the bed you were speaking of, but I would much love the opportunity to talk about your stay in more detail to make sure I am checking the correct room and hear a little more about the billing issues. I cannot begin to explain why the Holiday Inn Express website would charge you, and then refund your money but I can assure you that we do not charge anything to your card on the hotel level until you arrive that night. All major hotel brands accept reservations without pre-payment. Usually you only have to hold the room with a card (to charge in case you don't show and didn't cancel) but they also offer advanced purchase options at a better rate as well. The computers in the Great Room normally do not require a password, except my Office Administrator informed me about the time of your stay, they were updating those computers. I apologize that our front desk staff was unaware. Also, I did check the website and se that they do have listed you can fit 6 people in that room. You will be happy to hear this was corrected and listed as 5 to avoid future incidents as yours. I also brought this to the attention of the Executive Housekeeping Manager to make sure that upon inspecting the rooms with sofa beds, that EVERY ROOM has the bag of bedding as well as having a larger stock of back up linens for our front desk, as housekeeping does get locked after certain hours. The service you received is not typical of our staff but I am so grateful that you brought it to our attention to be addressed and improved. Your feedback is truly a gift and without reviews like this, we do not receive the opportunity to grow and learn as hospitality professionals. Again, I can't explain why your review on our brand website didn't post either. We only have control over the responses we post on that site. Its purpose it to be unbiased and accurate, not controlled to say what we want. I do know that they are very particular about what information gets posted and they are extremely strict with their guidelines, but those guidelines are there for your review. I even have trouble posting responses sometimes. Overall, we are very disappointed in the service you received. Again, I would love the opportunity to hear about your stay in more detail. You can reach me at anytime at 216.443.1000 or by e-mail at mariap@experiencecleveland.com. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies for the unacceptable service you received and thank again so very much for the feedback. I hope to hear from you soon.

mariap@experiencecleveland.com

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!