“Overall pretty good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 32 hotels in Cleveland
Ohio
“Overall pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

There were things we loved about this hotel: location, size of room, architecture and overall experience. However, like a previous reviewer we did not have wi-fi in our room and this was a big issue. I did have a number to call the provider, but who wants to go through that hassle? I did and it took numerous calls and waiting overnight to have the problem resolved. The hotel handled it as well as they could and checked in to see if it was working the next day (it was). The front desk was always polite and willing to please, which goes a long way with me.

I guess beds are hit and miss at hotels and ours was not comfortable at all. You can't really fault this, though, because some might like them, some not. What could be fixed was the sheets. They were horribly rough and not nice to sleep on. My face was red from the pillow cases in the morning (pillows were not comfy either).

All that said, we really liked the high ceilings and large room, as we spent a lot of time in there over the weekend, we were on the 12th floor which had an awesome view. I felt safe in the hotel and for the most part it was quiet (other than heating unit that others mentioned being noisy) It was very clean and breakfast was typical hotel fare in a nice area. I did see longer lines at the front desk on Saturday when people were trying to check-in, we had no problem Friday night, but the staff were handling it efficiently. I would not hesitate going to this hotel again but if you are considering it please read all the reviews here so you get an idea of what to expect. It is not your typical hotel, but we actually liked it's uniqueness.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

397 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Lowellville,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We've stayed here 2 years in a row and were pleasantly surprised at the upgrads made to the breakfast area. Great value for the cost of the room. The location is great. Beds were very comfortable. We were able to get a late check out without a hassle.

• Stayed January 2013
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

A gorgeous hotel... renovated from an turn-of-the-century office building. The common areas are all gorgeous, and the rooms are nice with hardwood floors and soaring ceilings. Staff were friendly and helpful.

The cons: no internet in my room... did not work for almost the entire stay, so I had to go to the Mezzanine level to do work. No ethernet in the rooms either as a backup, and staff didn't even give me a phone number to call the provider (not that that often helps). They forgot my wake-up call... a big no-no. The HVAC in my room was very, very loud. My room had a jacuzzi tub, which is nice, however the shower is in the jacuzzi as well. This is an odd arrangement that requires some dexterity and grace climbing into the tub. The tub itself was not properly cleaned (there was nastiness in some corners). This room had a kitchenette with no microwave, and a fridge that didn't fit under the counter, so it awkwardly sits right in front. Good thing the room was large enough so that wasn't a problem.

Overall, despite the above problems, this is a great hotel in a great location. LOt's of restaurants nearby. 9/10

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Had to stop in Cleveland as I had missed Drew Carey on tour in my hometown so tried to capture the essence of the man and the Browns , my second NFL team , by visiting his hometown . And what a great spot it is ! The Hotel Building is an old bank and offices, the rooms are huge , the bathroom gigantic , timber floorboards and tastefully furnished. The breakfast and the B/F room are memorable , you would be hard put to fault the place .It has a perfect location and everything is in walking distance, Bars , Restaurants , Ten Pin Bowling , etc , etc !! Just watch the blinds in the morning as they are workers in the building opposite who nearly copped an eye full !! I can easily say this place deserves more stars !! Also great value for Downtown at $109 (parking extra)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stourbridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Was here for for 3 nights towards the end of December.
The hotel was perfectly located downtown and near all the sports stadiums. The receptionists were all friendly.
The room was a bit bland but plenty big enough. There was WiFi in the room which was good.
The bed wasnt overly comfortablew but it did the job for 3nights.
I had free breakfast for my 2nights, which included bagels, bacon, sausage, egg pancakes, coffee, yogurts etc. I only had it 1 day but again it was adequate.
Would definitely stop here again if i return to Cleveland.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Saint Charles, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This past fall (October 2012) I traveled to Cleveland for a conference. My conference hotel was booked, so I booked here, in order to find something with in walking distance. I was pleasantly surprised that my room was not only 2x bigger than the conference room hotels, but I had free internet, free breakfast, and better service. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone traveling.

My room was beautiful and comfortable.

My only negative feedback, is that I was told there were computers with a printer, so I could print out various power points for my conference, and every time I went down there, employees were on the computers, or the computers were not working. The last morning, I ended up sharing this with the front desk, and they allowed me to use their computer to print my necessary documents. I was very impressed with the front desk customer service.

I loved that this hotel was in the middle of the city, I was with in close walking distance of many restaurants and entertainment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Holiday inn express downtown is within waking distance to the Q Arena and Progressive field. The staff are super friendly and very sharply dressed. We stayed in a king jacuzzi room. Nice hardwood floors and a super big jacuzzi with room for two ;). Bed was a little saggy in the middle which made it a little
Uncomfortable in the morning. Across the street from some great 4th street restaurants. Can't go wrong here.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!