“Weekend Trip to Cleveland” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
ohio
“Weekend Trip to Cleveland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is very cool. Up to date and great location. Only complaint was the doors closing in the hallways are so loud. The free breakfast was really good. The breakfast area is very nice. lots of room saturday but Sunday before Browns game pretty packed. Very neat and clean..Lots of wood and smelled of Murphys Oil Soap! Good smell! Check out the little area past the front desk for some free popcorn and a place to hang out with a group. It is an old bank I think and they have done a great job converting it to a hotel.

Room Tip: Breakfast area and game room with pool table are on 2nd floor along with the office area to use thei...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

474 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Very nice building with wood floors and classic styling. Unexpected value and service. Can't complain about a single thing (except for drunken neighbors returning noisily at 3am). Front desk and housekeeping were polite and responsive to requests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I throughly enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn express. I had orginally wanted a different hotel that was booked up and settled for this one, but I am happy I had the oppurtunity to experience the hotel and I will return if I find myself in Cleveland again.
The hotel is an old bank and so the lobby is set up a bit different. Two podiums for checking in kind of stick out like a sore thumb but the staff was very friendly and check in went quickly. We had requested adjoining rooms and were granted our request.
Our room was great. Large windows, hard wood floors, crisp white bedding and a fresh clean smell. I really loved it, but when I entered my sisters room it did smell of cigerettes and I was surprised how that one thing could entirely change your perception of the hotel. So while I loved my room, I understand how someone who smelled cigerettes on a different post had a different experience on their stay.
The hotel is in a good location, within walking distance to progessive field, quicken loans arena and 4th street is just a block away with all it's fun night life.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Youngstown, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We came for a wedding. The hotel was a disaster from early that morning on. I called at 9:30 that morning because it looked like I had only one room and I had booked two. They assured me that I had two and that they were ready for us whenever we got there. When we got there, it took us half a hour to check in. We only had half an hour left to get to the wedding. My in-laws were given an already occupied room! They had to move all of their things to another room. I am a priority club member and when I asked about the gift bags we are supposed to get, I was told that it was too soon after their reopening. I stayed there two months after they reopened. My in-laws did not have any coffee in their new room. There was an ad for "female entertainers" slipped under our door complete with VERY graphic pictures. All this and we had to beg them to validate our parking. The staff did very little to make up for all the problems. Not a nice stay at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Elizabeth S,

Thank you very much for being a Priority Club Member and for your recent stay with us. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your feedback is very important to us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you have experienced due to the check in process, hotel staff services received and room accommodations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback. We appreciate your loyalty and we hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Innisfil, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel has a unique check in and tons of history. We had two queen beds on the 10th floor and it was a nice room. High ceilings, floor to ceiling windows, hardwood floors and lots of space. After staying there it was hard to go back to a standard hotel room with not near the room/space. We never heard any hallway noise and it was very quiet. Cons were that there are only two ice machines at the moment, and when an elevator goes out of commission that causes some long wait times. Also, GPS's do not work downtown so it is wise to have an old fashion paper map in hand. This is not the hotel's fault but I wish I had known so I could have been prepared. There is so much concrete and the buildings are so tall that it is hard for a GPS to get a signal.
All in all It was a pleasant stay and I found the front staff to be very helpful, we are sure to stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I only stayed for one night, but I had a great stay and I would happily return.

The non-traditional lobby is basically the entry corridor of an old bank/office building, circa 1910. With plenty of marble, high ceilings with painted tin inserts, and other period decoration, it's beautiful. OK, it's a very atypical hotel lobby. I didn't see a single seating area, for example. But the quirky elements of this hotel blend seamlessly with the modern ones to make a great combination.

After taking an elevator to my floor, I was surprised to see original tilework on the floor. Some of it had been overlaid with wood flooring, perhaps in areas where the tile was damaged. It was a nice combination of old and new. The biggest surprise came when I entered my room, with high ceilings (12-13 feet) and hardwood floors. The room was large and had several sets of big windows. Everything in the room was modern and up-to-date.

Overall I was very pleased with the room. I would have liked a mini-safe, but it was well-appointed otherwise. And parking was easy at the garage around the corner. I was able to bill it to my room with in/out privileges.

The breakfast room wasn't easy to find (take the elevator to the mezzanine level, then a staircase down a couple flights). But once there, I was surprised to find a large, two-story space with lots of tables and a stack of newspapers. The food was typical HIE. (The cinnamon rolls are always my favorite.) It was the nicest breakfast room I have encountered at a Holiday Inn Express.

This hotel would be perfectly located for people interested in the downtown theatres and art galleries. I suppose you could walk to a baseball game, or it would be a short taxi ride. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Halton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Really can't complain about this hotel or the staff. We had a King Room with Jacuzzi on the 12th floor, great view, hardwood floors, fridge in room with a little bar area with sink. Breakfast was okay - maybe a 6 out of 10 considering they had differant types of yogurts and milk - white and chocolate, boiled eggs, cereals, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, pancakes and bananas - (too much time on my hands haha) Within walking distance to the Brown's stadium, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Progressive field, casino, restaurants bars.

I would definately recommend this hotel to a friend or family member

Room Tip: Found that the 12th floor had a good view (Room 1205)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!