“Historic building with great comfort” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
“Historic building with great comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I had chosen this Hotel because I liked the interior pictures and the location. Was on a short trip with my 10 year old son to see the Science Museum and the Cleveland Zoo. Heavy traffic, but hotel was quiet, very friendly staff, great room. Loved the clean hardwood floors, the room made me feel like a guest rather then a tourist. Overall the hotel had a European flair to it, which made me feel at home even more. Breakfast was plenty, fresh coffee and pancakes, cereal and yogurt. A smorgasbord for every taste. Plenty of restaurants around the corner. Son and I will be back!

Room Tip: I doubt there are any bad rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

481 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Saint Joseph, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night during our honeymoon road trip. We mentioned that we were on our honeymoon and got upgraded to their amazing honeymoon suite. The room was great. It came with two plasma screen TV's a king size bed, living room area, a jacuzzi tub and a separate bathroom and shower. The continental breakfast was great and open later then most hotel breakfasts. We came to Cleveland to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the hotel was in a great location to get to the museum. The Holiday Inn Express Downtown is located right by East 4th Street, which is a local hot spot filled with restaurants and bars. Guests do have to pay for parking it's $14 a night if you get your card validated by the front desk ($22 a night if you don't). The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars is we booked our room through Orbitz and then got charged again through Holiday Inn. It was a long process trying to get credited back our money but they eventually credited our account back. (About 2 weeks after the incident) However, even with the mix up on being charged twice I would still stay here again next time we are in Cleveland.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Leatherstocking Region New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Arrived at 12:30 PM to "no clean rooms ready". Not that busy, and not that helpful. Later on other clerks were friendlier and more helpful. Not a big problem, but after you park in the parking garage around the corner, you will need to carry your bags in, or pull out, go around the block, and stop out front again to unload, that is what we ended up doing.

Downtown and centrally located to many eateries on 4th Street, and not too much of a walk to Progressive Field/Quicken Loans Arena area. We were in town to see the Red Sox.

Room was HUGE! Old bank building, but rooms are all renovated with high ceilings. Wood floors in room and in hallways. This was both good and bad. Good in room, since you don't need to worry about what is under the carpet, but socks ended up filthy each night. Hallway area was not cleaned regularly. What would it take to have someone run a swifter over the floor a few times a day? Probably not since there was only one cleaner per floor. One person to make up the rooms on each floor. They may have had more than one floor as well, but I did see several different maids and cleaning carts. They need a better union.

Saturday night we heard some guests going out about 7 PM, and they were talking loudly. Wooden floors do not muffle the noise well. We found this out when the same rude, obnoxious, drunk guests came back at 1:30 AM and continued to make noise until 2:30 AM. This was on a Club Floor, and after I had requested a quiet floor. Younger people who don't care about anybody but themselves. We have teenage boys and have always impressed upon them to be quiet in any hotel hallway at ALL TIMES! Also, don't let the door slam shut everytime you go in and out. MANNERS!

Breakfast area is on the mezzanine floor, which means that you take the elevator down, then walk down a flight of stairs from the game room area. Large space, but pretty typical Express breakfasts. Issue then becomes everyone trying to get back on the elevators up to your own floor. When cleaners are trying to go from floor to floor with their carts this can be a challenge. Very tiny elevators also.

View from our room was the back of another building with someone's office directly across from our room. Every other floor that we could see from our room was being gutted and renovated. Not an issue on Sat. and Sun., but we heard them working on Monday AM!

On Sunday we went to the ballgame at noon. We arrived back to our room after 5 PM to find beds not made up, and dirty towels still piled in the tub. Called down, and was told that cleaner would be up to take care of it. Not sure why they did not make a note to take care of it for the 5 hours we were out of the room. Talked to front desk person and gave them my number to call me after room had been cleaned. NEVER GOT A PHONE CALL. Had to go to dinner earlier than had planned in our sweaty ballgame clothes.

Not sure if we would stay here again. It is very conveniently located to things we needed to do, but after Red Sox fans left on Sunday afternoon, it was very evident that the neighborhood clientele had also changed for the worse (panhandlers, scalpers, etc.)

Front desk girl at check out was courteous and friendly, but we noticed overall that all seemed to be very young, and inexperienced with how to handle issues that arise.

Room Tip: Lobby is a common area shared with other places. Very strange set up, so keep track of your belongi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear ChrisnChris B,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are pleased our convenient location suited you and glad you liked our huge room. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. However, I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort you experienced with the cleanliness of the rooms, parking situation, housekeeping services received and noise from our other guests and renovations during your stay. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

While I understand your stay was not 100% as it should have been. I do hope you can stay with us again so we can show you how truly great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care
Flemington, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

First time staying at hotel. Parking was easy 1 block away. Hotel lobby reminds you of a old bank. Room was was not ready at 5pm but I waited maybe 10 minutes in the waiting area. Room was very big. Hardwood floors. Only bad thing you could hear the people walking sometimes in the room above you. Nosie level in the hallways was kind of loud also. Seems like everything echoed. Morning free breakfast was very good. Location was close to Progressive Field, Rock and Roll Hall of fame. Lots of bars and restaurnat within walking distance. Horseshoe Casino about 3 blocks aways. Gets very crowded. Overall I don't have anything to complain about with this hotel. Would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Everyone on the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I stayed mon through friday for business and would not consider staying anywhere else downtown. My room was amazing (large, hardwood floors, tall ceilings, great views) and very clean, and every evening when I returned it was again cleaned and with fresh linens and towels. The first morning I did notice that my fridge was freezing my foods and when I checked it, the temperature control knob was broken. At first I thought this was going to be an issue since I did want to keep food through the week, but one call to the front desk and a new fridge was supplied that day! Parking was also very easy, I did have to get my parking card stamped to pay the meter at the garage, but I never had to wait at the front desk more than a couple minutes. You can either drop off your belongings before you park or carry them next door from the garage. I lived downtown for 2 years in the past and this is definetely the best value Ive seen as far as friendly service, quality and cleanliness of the rooms, and accessibility to all the great things downtown Cleveland has to offer!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Starting with the positive....Amber and young lady working the breakfast buffet, beautiful lobby and awesome location close to everything.

Negatives.....Customer Service 101 if there is someone standing in front of you either dont pick up the ringing telephone OR pick up the phone and ask the person on the other end of the line to hold!!!! Entered room, at first glance very nice upon closer inspection not so much. I am very conscious of cleanliness so I always take clorox wipes with me, went through quite a few that were black by the time I finished. "RENOVATED" bathroom was missing tiles and not quite finished, grout dirty. Had a jacuzzi that we did not even use, again missing tiles on the step and it was sooo dirty. The King Size bed had a great big dip in the middle that made it uncomfortable for sleeping and fitted sheet kept coming off mattress.

Left to do some sightseeing and cleaning lady who was in hall asked if we wanted her to clean, we advised yes. Upon returning to room our keys were not working so had to go to front dest where AJ reset the keys but then as he was doing it whispered to other employee (not quite sure what he whispered don't quite care) but made us feel like WE did something wrong. Back up to the room we went to find never cleaned (okay just as a reminder directly spoke to cleaning lady).

And to top all of this off, at no fault of the hotel, our lovely neighbors decided to have a party next door coming and going until wee hours of the morning and we felt like we were in the same room with them.

I know they are new to this location and are working out the kinks but there is no excuse for bad customer service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Apex, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We chose this hotel because it was downtown and close to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - our reason for being in Cleveland. In fact, we walked the several blocks to the RockHall.

There is a small area to unload luggage. Parking is in a garage around the corner. Not too convenient if one would be using their car often, but we weren't planning on doing that as we were staying just two nights.

The revolving door wasn't working so we had to push it manually and the two doors aside didn't work well, either. But, beyond that, this place is a gem. The lobby doesn't look like a hotel lobby, but rather an old bank building, which is what we were told that the building originally was.

The room was magnificent - VERY spacious, really high ceilings, gorgeous hardwood floors. The room was very bright having lovely large windows.

There are several restaurants and bars down the street so we had a good choice for meals. I'd stay there again if I ever go back to Cleveland.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!