“Great hospitality!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Bel Air, Maryland
“Great hospitality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Wanted to single out Brooklynn who took care of me when I made a reservation error. She was exceptionally friendly and helpful in straightening out my mistake. She should be commended!

The location of the hotel, and the beautiful room makes this an awesome choice of hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

446 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel several times in the past & we have been very pleased & written rave reviews with TripAdvisor. We are sorry to report that we were very disappointed this time. We are HI Rewards Club Members & we stay here & at Hotels Indigo. We requested our favorite room, 1503, when we made our reservation on the hotel's website & assumed that it would be honored as it has in the past, especially considering that our reservation was made a month in advance. However, when we checked in, we were told we were in 1004. I said "Not 1503?" I was snottily told that specific rooms can't be reserved & that they fill them as people check in. Is this new? Is this part of new management? We didn't see any of the friendly faces we usually see ~ they have been replaced, it seems, by incompetent & poorly trained nincompoops. The Head Nincompoop (apparently the shift manager...or, should I say, Mangler) took 30 minutes to check us in with no one else in line. He informed my husband that our credit card was denied because we only had $156 in our account. My husband peeked at the screen & said "You aren't allowed to see our account balance...what you're seeing is your own hotel charge". The HN (Head Nincompoop) then waved us off saying "Oh this is too complicated for you to understand"...um, REALLY??? When we finally got into the elevator I was struck by the horribly tacky vinyl wallpaper they put in. Are you kidding me??? Then when we opened our room door, the creaking was worse than Inner Sanctum. WD40 anyone??? On the plus side, we were pleased to see the wise choices made in the bathroom with the new gray paint & beautiful granite tops (grout needs a bit of help & cleanup though). We had a microwave & fridge, And THEN...I was stopped dead in my tracks. The furniture & artwork is JUST...DROP DEAD...AWFUL. I have never seen an uglier sleep sofa, tables, & "art" that just defiled this beautiful building. They could've done better at a garage sale. Seriously. The TV/desk stand, nightstands, & bed are fine & in keeping with their sister hotel, Hotel Indigo, but PLEASE can you get the Hotel Indigo Design Team in there to complete the rooms??? I am an Interior Designer & I spent a bit of time analyzing this particular room & what those designers could do with it. I realize that each room here is a little different, but I certainly would pay more to stay here if it were properly decorated.

Could you please wash the windows sometime soon??? They were so grimy we could barely see out of them, which has never been a problem before. And could you PLEASE put some chairs & benches in the lobby & build a scale & style appropriate check in desk? I have been waiting for this addition.

And then, while sitting on the bench outside (thank you for THAT), HN & associate came out to clean up cigarette butts & they proceed to engage in personal & business gossip. I do not believe in employees engaging in personal or professional gossip in front of guests.

And then, on our second day of our stay, suddenly our door keys & AC would not work. We had to have the keys reloaded & the AC reset ~ but the AC never reset & we just threw up our hands.

To top everything off, we were rather disconcerted by the amount of homeless who approached us reguarly while we sat outside. One was a man named Paul who had done 23 years in Lucasville Pen. Nice. I think it's time for a doorman or security.

We are considering not staying here again. Ms. Manager, please do not respond. Just do something.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear PaulaandJack,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fort Wayne, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I chose this hotel in downtown Cleveland because we looking for a moderately priced hotel convenient to Progressive Field.  The hotel is located just a few blocks from the ballpark in what appears to be a renovated old office building.  The registration desk uniquely sits where you might expect a security desk to sit in an office building.  Parking was around the corner in a safe garage and cost $14 per night.

Upon entering the lobby, we weren't sure what we were getting into, but we were about to be amazed.  After exiting the small elevator (one of four that were truly faster and more efficient than some I have used in modern buildings) we opened the door to our room to find a space unlike any other we have seen in a HI Express.  Our spacious room, which was at least three times the size of a typical room, featured a stylish wood floor, a king bed, a sitting area, flat screen TV, microwave and refrigerator!  We were blown away, especially at a price just over $100!

The room was comfy, quiet and roomy.  Breakfast was typical HI Express fare, with a really large eating area - much more comfortable than the eating areas that are crammed inside lobbies.

All in all we found this to be a delightful find and a great value.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

The hotel and room was beaitiful. Couldn't ask for a better location. Staff was friendly and helpful. The only thing I did notice was our floor in our room was very dirty. My son took his socks off that evening and his feet were black. Housekeeping needs to make sure they are cleaning the floors. Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
MRP22, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
pamelaf422,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown for your recent trip to Cleveland. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated our location in the heart of downtown Cleveland, Ohio. I am disappointed to hear about the experience you had with the floors in the room. One of the countless reasons we kept the hardwood floors is because of the sanitary nature of them versus carpet. We did have some issues shortly after renovating getting them clean, but after some experimenting with different cleaners and tools we are confident that upon your return you will be pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the hotel guest room floors. Who knew the simple solution would be to ditch the commercial stuff and use Murphy’s Oil Soap and microfiber to get in the cracks! We figure if it is good enough for our homes, it will be perfect for our guest’s home away from home. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, the good and the bad. It is reviews like this that keep us moving forward! Thank you! We hope to see you again soon.

Yours in Hospitality,
Maria Rose Puliafico
Guest Relations Manager
216.443.1000
Mariap@experiencecleveland.com
Daniels, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My friends are I were concerned about choosing this hotel after reading several reviews on TripAdvisor. However, we were pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness of our room. The hardwood floors were nice a nice addition and appeared very clean. This is a fantastic hotel for the money spent. The staff appear to be slightly disorganized, but were very friendly and helpful during our two night stay. One person at check-in suggested several restaurants in the East 4th Street area and printed off several menus for us to browse beforehand. The bathroom was clean and newly remodeled. The king bed was comfortable, as were the linens. The location of this hotel is fantastic if you are interested in the restaurants on East 4th Street. We did have difficulty finding a spa in the area and ended up going to the spa located inside the Hyatt Arcade hotel. There was only one issue that caused some inconvenience - when booking our room we chose the suite with 2 king beds. Upon checking in, we were told that there were actually no rooms with 2 king beds in the entire hotel. I had in my hand the printed computer confirmation stating 2 king beds. Thankfully the pull-out sofa was comfortable. We would stay there again. The value is incredible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hope C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Please call the hotel and let me know where you booked your room so I can get this corrected. I have not found it. I am very sorry you were disappointed and glad it worked out.

Thanks so much for staying with us!

Burlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night this past weekend and would definitely stay here again. Older building but our room was simply outstanding, and I was sorry we had to leave. The king bed was way too comfortable and and I didn't want to get up in the morning. Awesome shower, awesome jacuzzi tub, great views, and loved the hardwood floors. We were in 1309 and I would request this room again without question. Great location and it's an easy walk to all the attractions downtown. Less money than the other hotels nearby, and well worth a try if you're in town.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
I love the Hospitality business just for reviews like this. Knowing we did it right. Please come again!!!

Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My family just visited Cleveland for the first time, primarily to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I was happy to find that this hotel was centrally located to a variety of attractions and restaurants. The parking was nearby and reasonably priced. The hotel room was spacious and clean. My children and husband enjoyed a filling breakfast and I was thrilled that they offered healthy, lowfat options. Most of all, the staff were friendly and helpful. I would definately recommend staying here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind remarks. We look forward to having you back. Please come back to see more of Cleveland. This city has so much to offer.

Thanks again,
Hope Carroll

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!