“Average...understaffed, lacks attention to detail” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Midwest
“Average...understaffed, lacks attention to detail”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Don't get me wrong...the location is really good...that's the best part. The hotel is located in what could be a very beautiful historic building and has recently been remodelled. Rooms are really large, but, sadly, the renovation and design lacked attention to details. For example: windows are still very old and painted shut, finishes were fairly low-end (tile in bathroom appeared to be older, falling off in places), painting was sloppy, granite countertop had a sticky construction residue, walls were quite bare, no lights within reaching distance of the bed. When we arrived at 7:30pm, we were put in a room that had no radio or phone in the room. Since we needed to be somewhere, we were told to see the front desk staff when we returned to receive the keys to our new room. We returned at about 11:30 pm. There was one staff person at the front desk. One. No security staff, just ONE lone older woman (who, might I add was terrific, but I felt so sorry for her). She attempted to reach her security guard who did not respond. Ultimately, we were upgraded to a room with a spa tub. (Does anyone really use those things?!) Our stay was just okay. First night was quiet, second night there were people yelling/fighting in the hall. Breakfast was okay, I guess. Not sure if I would return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hope C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for writing a response. Please let us show you the work we have recently completed with attention to detail. Our lamps arrived late from the manufacturer so we recently put in bedside lamps and new clock radios. We are working diligently trying to clean off paint spots. We have been open now 43 days and things keep getting better and better.

We would to have you as our guest again.

Best Regards,
Hope Carroll

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband & I stayed here July 6, 2012. We chose this hotel for the convenience to the Quicken Loan Arena for a concert, as well as close, safe walking distance to The Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. Check in was a little confusing. We arrived at 1:00 PM and were told to come back after 3:00 PM for check in so we parked our car and walked around. When we arrived back at 4:15 PM we were told to have a seat in their lounge and wait to see if our room was ready. This was a bit of a burden since we wanted to check in, freshen up and have dinner before the 7:00 PM show. The young gentleman(I believe his name was AJ) that checked us in was pleasant and patient even though it was congested and many people checking in at the same time, and it was not his fault that the communication about what rooms were ready was obviously not given to him. He apologized for the wait and in the end everything did work out.
Another group waiting with us said the did not have such a nice experience when trying to check in with their lady.
We finally got our room at 5:00 PM so we were a bit rushed, but the room was very nice and clean. The elevators in this hotel are the smallest I have ever seen and you do have to wait a while even though there are 3. The bed was extremely comfortable which was nice after a full day of driving, walking and a concert. Breakfast was very good too. Overall the experience was a good one and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor, with a nice view of the city street. No noise issues at all.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you very much for being so patient with our check in process. We have only been open for 1 month and all of our front desk staff are new. There are several procedures and processes still to implement. We are working harder with our housekeeping department to get the clean and inspected rooms into the front desk system so check in can improve. We look forward to you staying with us in the future.

Thanks again,
Hope Carroll
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I travel for business and pleasure and have stayed in so many 5 star hotels and this one beats them all. we had a hot tub suite with a nice view, and the staff brought my bags from the next door parking garage, parking was cheap, and the location walking distance to the Horseshoe Casino and some of the best restaurants in the world makes this the best hotel, not to mention this well built hotel had no noise from adjacent rooms.
The price was very affordable to spend a week there also.

Room Tip: I never went to the pool and spa, not sure about it but cannot uncheck here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind remarks. We look forward to your next visit.

Best Wishes, Hope Carroll
Merrickville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights...a few small issues..had to re-program key everyday..staff were very nice and accomadating. Close to parking garage..close to 4th Ave lots of restaurants.. Would recomend...Cleveland Rocks

Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for posting nice remarks. We re-opened our doors on June 18th, 2012, and we are still in the process of getting/putting bedside lamps in all of our rooms, getting additional key making machines and training on how to make keys for more than just one night. We would love to have you stay with us again the next time you are in Cleveland.
Greenville, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

To Holiday Inn Express Management: This was one of the worst places I have stayed in my travels.
First: Parking was a total screw up, was not told how to keep ticket get it stamped, just to get out of garage. Watched 3 other hotel cars with same problem. That seems minor I guess to the staff.

Front Desk Personal had NO idea how to check in or check out, they were rude, unfriendly and seemed to worry about gossiping with co workers instead of taking care of the clientel.

The Room: Very dirty hard wood floors, dust, paint chips and dirt. No lamps on the bed end tables, no hair dryer in bathroom. Very dirty in general. Very Loud AC Unit.

On Checkout: 7 AM, What a cluster ............ Asked for my bill, was told she could not do it, had to wait untill someone came to work that knew how to print a bill. I was like, you are kidding, right. No she wasn't, she turned around and started laughing with another employee. OK, after this mess I go to get out of Parking Garage, put my ticket in to get out and the gate will not open. I go back to hotel and tell them this. They said, Oh have to stamp your parking ticket. Was never told this, heard 2 other customers say the same thing. So, it is now 8 AM and I have screwed around for an hour trying to get out of this place.

You could put me in the Honeymoon suite and I would not stay in this dump.
My advice: Get some people that know what the hell they are doing and treat customers like a customer.

I travel a lot, this is the first time I have written one of these reviews, but this place made me have to tell people.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
I am truly sorry that you did not receive excellent customer service. The first day we were sold out because of several events in town and our team was all new. No matter how much training you provide until you have live guests, you don't realize what they need training on.

Please give us the opportunity to make this right for you. Contact myself and I will make your reservation for you.
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed here with my family last spring to see relatives in the area and visit the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. The room was very clean with a great view. The breakfast was excellent. The best part however was the location. It was in walking distance of many restaurants and the basketball arena. Only a short drive from the football stadium and the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. The parking garage was a bit cramped but overall we enjoyed our stay. I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Perfect location
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind comments about the Holiday Inn Express Downtown Cleveland. We closed our doors for an extensive renovation and just re-opened on June 18th, 2012.

Please consider staying with us again in the near future.
San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I must say I was surprised when I stay here. I just do not think it was the amazement I was after!

The lobby is not what you would expect of any hotel. It is a tiny desk that you could walk by not noticing it if no one happened to be standing there. It seems like you are trying to break into someone's office bulding!

The hotel is old and though the rooms are OK you still have the feeling that somehow things do not add up. The rooms have very little decoration (they are not milimalistic, they just do not have "enough" for their size). They are large, do not get me wrong.

Breakfast is a disgrace: help yourself to a fridge and some cooked food that is not very appealing.

Breakfast is the kick off for the day, let's make it something to remember!!!

Honestly, I would not stay here again if I could choose. I am sure there are nicer places around.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
The Holiday Inn Express re-opened it's doors after an extensive renovation on June 18th, 2012. Please stop by the hotel the next time you are in town and you will see the difference.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!