“Great location, neat old building” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Chicago
“Great location, neat old building”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I stayed at this hotel at the recommendation of family. I was promptly greeted by the front desk staff. My room was ready when I checked in. The place was immaculate. I had one of the higher floor rooms and had outstanding views of the city. The bed was comfy. The room was cleaned while I was out during the day. Breakfast at the hotel had a lot of options to choose from. The only downside that I saw was that the breakfast room is difficult to get to with luggage. The front desk staff offered assistance with getting to area attractions. The hotel is within walking distance to everything in Cleveland and it felt relatively safe for being in a city. I would stay here again if I travel through Cleveland again. There is a bank connected to the hotel lobby that reminds me of the one in Mary Poppins. There is a restaurant in the hotel lobby with good food if you're not interested in the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

457 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I liked this hotel so much I even wrote a complementary letter to the company. The staff was incredibly helpful--which is rare for hotels both in America and especially in Cleveland. (I grew up near Cleveland, so I can say that.) Because I was a member of their hotel group, I got to spin a wheel, which yielded such prizes as 10% off, a free hotel room, or an upgrade. We got the upgrade and were booked into an executive suite, which was spacious and lovely. We were there for the Rite Aid Marathon as well, so the hot tub was a huge bonus. When we go back next May, I'll definitely be staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Become a member. It's free amd you get to spin a wheel for great prizes!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Cleveland and there was a large 2 INCH COCKROACH in our room at 2am!!! The hotel sent a security guard to kill the roach but obviously we could not sleep all night!!!!!! The hotel would only return the points I used for the hotel room and that is it!!! I tried calling guest relations and they said that is all they could do!! AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!! DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed here for a weekend trip to Cleveland on the Fourth of July holiday weekend. If you enjoy nightlife and want to be close to everything downtown has to offer, stay here because it's right in the heart of the city. I checked in late at night, so front desk was a little slow in responding. There was also a mix up in my room reservations which annoyed me, but once I got to my room, I gor over it. The hotel is in an old buliding, but the renovations to the rooms are amazing! First of all, I've never stayed in a hotel with hardwood floors in the hallways and the rooms. I love hardwood floors! The room was super spacious...could've definitely had a little hotel party in my room. The parking is a downside ($14 per night around the corner and across the street) but I guess that's to be expected at a downtown location. The free breakfast in the morning left much to be desired, but in all, there were more positives than negatives. I loved my stay!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Youngwood,Pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

This is newly renovated hotel in a old architectually beautiful old bank buiding. Great use of a space too pretty to be destroyed. Love that! We had a VERY large king room with a jacuzzi tub. Lovely recycled hardwood floors.(much better than carpet that is never clean).High ceilings and large windows, And new furniture( but it could have used some upholstered chairs or a couch as there was plenty of room to place them but nowhere to sit except the bed or desk/table chairs,) The location was within a few blocks of sports, concert venues with alot of great restaurants (recommend Fat Fish Blue.) But why spent all that money and not replace 20 year old phones with buttons to reach housekeeping/ front desk etc that dont work)? We had lots of little service problems that provide alot of aggrevation. Our key cards didnt work twice. Paid for parking in the convenient close by garage but the validated cards provided didnt work twice making usand those behind us back up, park and return to the hotel, The attendent offered to open the gate for another $12 probably to go in his pocket as the front desk told us he should have accepted the pass. We were there only friday to sunday and didnt get cleaning service though gone from 8am till430pm Saturday. Stopped back briefly at noon, checked at desk and were assured it would be cleaned. Just brought us towels and emptied garbage at second request 6pm. There were about 50 very unhappy guests in the lobby Saturday afternoon waiting to get checked in, sitting on the floor, luggage everywhere. The lobby is just a hallway really but I guess they were still working on the renovation. No air conditioning in Lobby, hallways or breakfast area Had to use stairs to access breakfast area. No fresh fruit and had to request basis items such as sugar, tea bags, milk at 7am when service started at 630. The doors to the rooms were very squeaky and could easily remedied with WD40 but annoying everytime someone along the hall went in or out. You could also hear water running through the walls when neighbors were showering.It was very hard to access WIFI and was only able to get it late in the evening after several calls to get the code. The front desk staff seemed overwelmed or confused so not sure if there is a management or training problem going on. Oh and no pool. Would I stay here again? Just not sure but still nice for the price. They need to improve their service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Euclid Street.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011 via mobile

Hotel is neat (old bank building). Issue was, tried to check in early (2 pm) room not ready. Ok, we are early, we went to lunch and walking tour downtown. Go back at 5 pm, waited behind 20 people and 45 minute
wait to find out room was not ready. Also, no a/c in lobby. Left for Indians game and checked in at 10:30 pm. Rooms are nice and spacious. Only complaint is rooms not ready at 4 pm check-in.

• Stayed July 2011
Sierra Madre, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

My family & I stayed here for 4 nights and really dug it. It's in a beautiful old bank building right next door to one of Cleveland's crown jewels, The Old Arcade!!! Make sure you walk into this one. I guarentee your neck will hurt from craning it looking at the gorgeous glass ceiling and the brass griffins and lion heads with glowing red eyes. I think the hotel's location is one of it's best perks. It's right across the street from the insanely popular East 4th Street entertainment area with many yummy eateries and nightclubs. It's also a short walk to the harbor for the Rock Hall, Goodtime III cruises, Great Lakes Science Center and Browns games. Also and easy walk south to Indian games. The staff was nice. The rooms are clean & large. The free breakfast was not all that great ,but most free stuff isn't! There's the cutest little coffee shop called Sammy's in the lobby with good cheap eats. Also, take a look inside the real bank next door. More grand old architecural eye candy! The only few pitfalls I saw were pan handlers (every big cities got 'em) and my wife was scared of the tiny, old elevators. All in all it's pretty neato bosso!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!