“Loved the "reuse" of the old bank building!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Shepherd, Michigan
“Loved the "reuse" of the old bank building!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I do not live in a city but visit them frequently for my work. I travel alone and tend to gravitate to HI Expresses. This place intrigued me because it was originally a bank in downtown Cleveland. I am always marveling at old buildings in cities and hate to see them standing dormant. That was my major motivator for staying at this hotel. PROS: Location - one afternoon I took a brisk walk to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame from here. Also, outdoor dining with plenty of options just a block and a half away on 4th Street. Soldiers and sailors monument also nearby. Another pro: The rooms - gorgeous hard wood floors, very high ceilings, and meticulously clean. Something about staying in that room really made me feel lucky (I know, that's odd). I was on the 14th floor and had an awesome view to boot. CONS: Parking. Figure it out before you arrive because parking out front can be next to impossible even to seek parking garage directions. For the record, (with the hotel on your passenger side) the parking garage is the first turn to the right and the first garage to the left. Easy once you know how to get there. Another CON: Remodeling. It appears that there is still some remodeling going on (a good thing really) and the front desk does not lend itself toward seeming professionally run or managed. There were staff lounging around that seemed very casual and laid back. Traveling alone that gave me some pause. Overall though I would stay here again. Once you get past the little rough spots, it was a cool place for a different experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Delmarva Peninsula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

This hotel is so much nicer than it appears from the outside. Inside it's rather grand in an old-time grand fashion. Our room was massive. It had a big bathroom too. The ceilings were easily 12 or 14 feet tall which gives that grand feeling mentioned earlier. The furnishings were all updated and new looking. The tv was not flat panel. There were 4 small pillows for the king bed which isn't enough. I would absolutely stay here again! It's so close to everything - stadiums, shopping, Lola's (restaurant), etc. Also the staff were gracious and helpful. : ) Almost forgot - the only parking is a public garage. It is very close to the front door though so it wasn't bad at all. It's $14. Free breakfast buffet - included yogurt, fruit, oatmeal packets, juices, milk, coffee, tea, huge cinnamon buns, cereal, hot biscuits and sausage gravy, eggs, bacon, bagels, toast, english muffins, cream cheese, etc! And the eating area was beautiful with large windows, fireplace, 12 or more tables and lots of space!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights before the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon. After reading mixed reviews, our expectations were not that high. We booked a jacuzzi room for Saturday night after booking a std room on Friday on points. The front desk was very accomodating in arranging so that we didn't have to change rooms and gave us a jacuzzi room with King bed for both nights. Don't wast your efforts on the jacuzzi! A 3 ft square tub with a window overlooking the bed was just bizarre! The hotel did have some quaint charm as a refurbished bank. Hardwood floors, high ceilings and small wood-panelled elevators gave it an art-deco appeal. Here are my complaints:
The complimentary breakfast was nothing short of disgusting. They ran out of hot food and we waited for about 20 minutes with no explanation before bringing out a single tray of eggs which was gone almost instantaneously because of the crowd of hungry guests. Trash cans in the breakfast bar were stuffed so full you could not possible dispose of your waste
I should have got suspicious when I asked for a late checkout on Sunday because I was running in the marathon. I was told to ask on Sunday morning (at 6 a.m.!) I inquired again on Saturday night and was given the same response. On Sunday morning (at 6:00 a.m.) I stood at the front desk with other runners while we were told the latest checkout available would be noon. (not a problem if you are a Boston calibre marathoner!) Other downtown hotels were offering 1:00 and 2:00 checkouts.
This hotel is suitable as a no-frills choice but definitely not worth the 25,000 Priority Club points they command.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Warren, Michigan, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Near the bars of 4th St, near the Theatre District, the hotel is in a great location for a leisurely night out and is relatively inexpensive. I took my girlfriend to Cleveland for a quick getaway (we live in Detroit) and to take in a show at Playhouse Square. While we had a great trip overall, there were problems, all stemming from the hotel service. First the pros:

* Great location
* Nearby parking available
* Jacuzzi rooms. The room we had was great. 15th floor jacuzzi room, corner room with high ceilings, jacuzzi in the room, overlooking Euclid to the west and north towards Lake Erie. Great hardwood floors.
* Pretty comfy bed (I'm a light sleeper and would fault no one for a poor night's sleep).

The cons:
In general, the hotel is in the midst of some renovations in the lobby and maybe that was part of the problem. When we arrived at ten to four (check-in time), there was already what looked like a line to check-in and unhappy people sitting in the lobby just outside of the line on some chairs and seemingly stressed employees. I'd soon find out why: people's rooms weren't ready - for people like me just coming in for a getaway who may or may not have had dinner reservations. We did, and that fact added to the stress.

I travel a lot for work and there is nothing more frustrating to hear you're room isn't ready at your check-in time. It is even more frustrating when the receptionist says, "You know you're early, right?" when you're only ten minutes early but can't answer when the room will be ready. Also, when her only advice is to come back in twenty minutes and see if the room is ready when there's just a mess of people hanging around reception waiting to see if there room was ready. Anyway, we went to park the car in the parking garage, we just got back in line and we ate those 20 minutes up quickly. This time, the room was still not ready but I could have taken a smoking room with jacuzzi, which would look like what I reserved except, of course, for the lingering smoke smell. I asked if she could call a manager to find out and I felt she did this begrudgingly. The response back was that they'd check on the issue and she'd let me know what she learned. We waited by the desk for another thirty minutes and a man in line let me jump ahead of him to ask if the rooms were ready yet. Well, they were and I was left wondering when they planned on letting us know.

This sounds petty, but it was a really sour experience and for the other travelers around us. It was a tense, stressful room to be in. No one was happy with the receptionists, it seemed, and the receptionists were pretty powerless in getting people in their rooms.

The last thing that was frustrating is that we wanted to order a movie later in the evening and the movie channel didn't work. I called the front desk and they said they'd "reset" the TV, but the problem was not resolved by the time we went to bed. That was just annoying. There was also a bachelorette or wedding party that returned to the floor at about 2 am and they were loud, but whatever.

I'd recommend the hotel on location alone. Get a jacuzzi room if you can get it. And don't expect much help in the realm of service.

Room Tip: Cross your fingers on check-in.
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

I have never heard before the blood curdling screams of a lady getting the hell beat out of her until Sunday morning at 3:00 AM. The security guards came very quickly to address the issue and to tell them to leave the hotel. Once the security guard left, it started up again and the security guard came back and the guy left while the lady stayed and cried. We made sure our door was locked. I was just waiting for the gun shots to come through the wall. My wife and I could not get back to sleep, unbelievable. Nobody should have to put up with that and to experience those screams! Burned in my brain for ever.

When I checked out, I explained the what happened and asked for a refund, which they gave. I then asked if this hotel is being rented out late at night for "you know what", they acknowledged that people come in late at night and pay in cash.

With that said, the service and personnel were absolutely the nicest and one of the most pleasant to deal with from check in, breakfast, room service and checkout. No complaints, only compliments for the personnel.

The rooms were just like the other reviews, large, wood floors, paper walls, and noisy.

Overall, I like staying at Holiday Inn Express hotels, but I can't recommend this one due to safety and the fact they rent to people very late at night after the bars close. I don't ever want to hear a lady getting beat up again.

Hamilton, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Well, I booked the Cleveland Holiday Inn Express in January for the concert road trip. I was extremely satisfied with the location and walking distance to anything and everything seemingly downtown Cleveland. The Q arena was a very quick 5 minute walk (if that). I had to wait a bit, mind you I was rather early, before finally checking into my room. But I suppose one cannot rush things like that. Upon opening the door to my room on the 9th floor, I was greeted with the massive 10, maybe 12 foot high ceiling, 8 foot tall window, all wood floor and baseboard huge room with a single King sized bed in the middle of the room. The bathroom was quite large as well, and the whole room appeared to be set up for handicapped usage. Very cool! The view was great, but it's all skyscrapers and parking garages, I guess they don't call them concrete jungles for nothing. This being my first time in a high rise room, it was a neat experience. Room had an okay sized desk, office chair, taking laps around the room on the wood floor! A chair and large drawers with tv on top. Some sound filtered in when waking up the next morning from the next connected room (I think, hope it wasn't from room across hallway). But sleeping was great, pretty comfy bed. Better than mine, pillows were good too. Nothing special for the way the room really presented itself to begin with. Bathroom was quite nice, hot heat, lots of pressure, again equipped for handicapped people so extra grab bars everywhere and very spacious to move around in. Have to take points off value, I think because it's downtown it looks quite pricey, off season rates must have been in effect because I rather enjoyed the deal I got. Service, never dealt with them other than the wait to get a room that I had booked, mind you I was rather early on that one. And location, it's downtown, so walking around be prepared for panhandlers, but again, walking around is very convenient. Mostly so because parking is rather limited and pricey. There is no connection from the Holiday Inn lot to the hotel. So I unpacked everything I didn't need and locked it all in the bed of the truck. Made for a lighter and less trip to get to the hotel. Largest breakfast bar I had on the whole trip, but I did get there late and things were missing, but they were also restocking as I was getting some food on the go.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Clean, quiet, and well-maintained hotel. Conveniently located to many attractions in downtown Cleveland - we easily walked to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Also a short walk from 4th St for good dining and night life. It would be easy to walk to any sporting event from here as well (Cavs, Browns, Indians).

Our room was large with nice wood floors and high ceilings. Our 15th floor room offered a great view of the city, including Quicken Loans Arena and Progressive Field. Staff was very helpful and courteous.

I think they retro-fitted the old building nicely. The elevators are small but don't feel rickety at all. The breakfast was adequate as well.

Overall, this was a great value and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 1509 for a great view (and a nice jacuzzi!)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!