“An outstanding hotel experience!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Savings of 15%
Ranked #22 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Youngstown, Ohio
“An outstanding hotel experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I was finally able to take my 11 yr old nephew on a road trip. He had previously stayed at the Radisson Gateway with his parents. He loves the sleep number beds. Me, not so much but it's just a personal preference. We did not use the available valet parking and in hindsight probably should have. But it was an adventure every evening finding the cheapest parking lot in the vicinity. There was some savings by parking the car myself though. The hotel staff was very helpful and able to get us directions when asked. We took advantage of the daily breakfast buffet which was very good and well worth the cost. The rooms were a little smaller than I expected. However, we were there to sightsee, not spend our time in the hotel. The cleaning staff was good and thorough. The last night of our stay was set aside to enjoy room service. My nephew had never experienced having dinner delivered to a hotel room before. It was one of his favorite parts of the trip. Easy ordering and quick delivery of a delicious meal. Would have liked more variety on the menu though. The onion rings were awesome! Overall, we had a fabulous stay and would absolutely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reno, NV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I am quite familiar with Cleveland and came back to visit friends this past July. I had my rental in valet and stayed for a weekend. I did use my debit card and was fully aware of all that went with it. They put a hold on the card upfront. The valet gives you a card stating that due to recent thefts in parking lots, items in plain view are discouraged, Noting that, I took everything with me EXCEPT for the CDs in the stereo and two CDs left under the visor; I forgot them. When it came to check out, I asked if my room service would also be charged to my debit card and would it be in addition to the hold placed on my card. The staff treated me like I was the dumbest thing on the planet - I needed to know so that I can keep track of my money. I finally left in frustration because I couldn't get a straight answer. Halfway down 71S towards Columbus, I flipped the visor and found out that my CDs were gone! They were not in plain view and they were Enya & Meatloaf CDs - what typical person would want those ???? The ones in the stereo were not taken ... when I explained this to to Management, they blew it off, saying that their valet staff denied doing it. I was so angry that they finally said that they would refund my room service charges and lift the hold on my card the next business day. They criticized me for using my debit card if I was to complain about the holds. I wasn't complaining about the holds - I only wanted to know the amounts so that I can spend accordingly. I also know how it works because I generally stay in Lakewood, OH when I come back - and I never had a problem with the Days Inn in Lakewood.

The only nice thing I have to say is that the bed was a king size and very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Schererville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Spent a weekend in Cleveland with some friends. Friends are from eastern PA we're from IL so it was just kind of a meeting point. Cleveland itself has a whole lot of nothing going on downtown except panhandlers. Really lots of closed businesses and panhandlers. There are signs all over in the area around the hotel where the restaurants & things are that say "it's okay" not to give these people money and how they're not homeless. Super cool! (joking)
This hotel has potential. Location wise it's probably very convenient if you're there for baseball or basketball. Pretty much walking distance to Hard Rock & Tower City. We did the walk to the Rock & Roll HOF. Far, but doable. The staff was very friendly. But the rooms were just not up to par.
So it is nice to have a mini fridge. I'm not a fan of sleep number beds, but if you like them then you could like the beds at this place. It was nice to have real opening windows. I personally didn't notice a lot of noise.
Problem is this place is just dirty. Gross really. Hair all over in our bathroom. Duvet/comforter thing on one bed had really gross stains. Our curtains were gross. Shower curtain had something growing on it. Coffee pot was disgusting. Walls had stuff on them especially by the light switch. I'd say a recent guest in our room had pizza in the room. I'll attach photos to this review (hair was hard to photograph well). This place just needs some real housekeeping.
Also the restaurant was closed both nights for dinner. They did have free cold cut sandwiches for those that wanted food. Odd.
My only word to the wise would be to be careful parking. This place has no self-parking and I'm not a big valet fan (especially at places like this that warn it could take a while to get your car). We parked in the surface lot on the same side of the street the first night. Pulled in, guy told us how much, we paid. Next day we get to our car and it has a note telling us that if we don't remove our car by 2pm we owe them $28 more?! Of course it's now after 2pm because, well why not? We weren't really planning on driving anywhere earlier. Except the guy didn't tell us that the night before and it's kind of hard to know you need to move your car when you're not in it! I mean who checks for notes that are telling you to move? Guy told us we were fine to leave our car there until the next day. Had he told us to be gone by 2 we would have. After arguing we gave him the cash we were willing to give and they finally let us leave. Total tourist trap. Period.
On the other hand the garage directly next door to the hotel (between the hotel and the crazy lot) charged our friends once when they parked, for 2 nights. We parked there the 2nd night and had to pay the one night charge and were free to leave without paying again.
Not somewhere I'd stay again unless I knew they'd started to actually clean the place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

Hotel staff was friendly and this place is close to all the sports location. If you go to Fourth St. as stated you can find plenty of food. I did not care for he sleep number bed, plus the hotel was loud. People slamming doors. The toilets are the power flush type and we heard them most of the night. Walls appear to be thin. Room was Ok however their was a small amount of hair in the tub
Hotel was just ok I got a great price so I id not mind it as much. I will check other hotels if I return, but if the price is great I would not rule this one out.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
shelby, mich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Front desk staff was completely rude. Our room was filthy. Shower floor black and sticky. Hair on floors and walls. curtains ripped at bottom. air conditioning very loud. room smelled like smoke and very musty. We payed $159.00 for one night. Was only worth around $75.00 and, thats being generous. When we asked the valet for a good place to eat for breakfast. He recommended another hotel. What does that tell you ? Do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
toledo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Stayed here recently for an event at The House of Blues and couldn't ask for a better location and price ($65) via Priceline. Right across the street from Quicken Arena and Jacobs Field. Walk to E. 4th restaurants is very easy. We had a handicapped room for some reason and it was huge. Only real issue was the air conditioner. A little loud but not the end of the world.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

I agree with several other posters - it was not great, but not horrible.

One thing I will say right off the bat: This hotel had been classified on other websites as a 3.5 or 4 star hotel. That would be overly generous, in my opinion. 2.5 to 3, maybe.

If you want peace and quiet, don't stay here. The hotel is often filled on the weekends with sports fans attending one of the games (there is basketball and football within a stone's throw of the hotel). It's also near bars and clubs.

The entire night was filled with drunken people SCREAMING at the top of their lungs outside the hotel at each other.

If you are driving, don't use valet service. There is a garage across the street that you can self park in. The valets park at some place that's ludicrously far away, so it can take up to an hour to get your car.

The rooms are generally clean and somewhat comfortable. (Depends on whether you like Sleep Number beds - I don't).

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Noisy, not as nice as advised
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway? Share your experiences!