“could be nice, but it's not clean” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan ahead and save 15%
Ranked #22 of 32 hotels in Cleveland
Schererville, Indiana
“could be nice, but it's not clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Spent a weekend in Cleveland with some friends. Friends are from eastern PA we're from IL so it was just kind of a meeting point. Cleveland itself has a whole lot of nothing going on downtown except panhandlers. Really lots of closed businesses and panhandlers. There are signs all over in the area around the hotel where the restaurants & things are that say "it's okay" not to give these people money and how they're not homeless. Super cool! (joking)
This hotel has potential. Location wise it's probably very convenient if you're there for baseball or basketball. Pretty much walking distance to Hard Rock & Tower City. We did the walk to the Rock & Roll HOF. Far, but doable. The staff was very friendly. But the rooms were just not up to par.
So it is nice to have a mini fridge. I'm not a fan of sleep number beds, but if you like them then you could like the beds at this place. It was nice to have real opening windows. I personally didn't notice a lot of noise.
Problem is this place is just dirty. Gross really. Hair all over in our bathroom. Duvet/comforter thing on one bed had really gross stains. Our curtains were gross. Shower curtain had something growing on it. Coffee pot was disgusting. Walls had stuff on them especially by the light switch. I'd say a recent guest in our room had pizza in the room. I'll attach photos to this review (hair was hard to photograph well). This place just needs some real housekeeping.
Also the restaurant was closed both nights for dinner. They did have free cold cut sandwiches for those that wanted food. Odd.
My only word to the wise would be to be careful parking. This place has no self-parking and I'm not a big valet fan (especially at places like this that warn it could take a while to get your car). We parked in the surface lot on the same side of the street the first night. Pulled in, guy told us how much, we paid. Next day we get to our car and it has a note telling us that if we don't remove our car by 2pm we owe them $28 more?! Of course it's now after 2pm because, well why not? We weren't really planning on driving anywhere earlier. Except the guy didn't tell us that the night before and it's kind of hard to know you need to move your car when you're not in it! I mean who checks for notes that are telling you to move? Guy told us we were fine to leave our car there until the next day. Had he told us to be gone by 2 we would have. After arguing we gave him the cash we were willing to give and they finally let us leave. Total tourist trap. Period.
On the other hand the garage directly next door to the hotel (between the hotel and the crazy lot) charged our friends once when they parked, for 2 nights. We parked there the 2nd night and had to pay the one night charge and were free to leave without paying again.
Not somewhere I'd stay again unless I knew they'd started to actually clean the place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

Hotel staff was friendly and this place is close to all the sports location. If you go to Fourth St. as stated you can find plenty of food. I did not care for he sleep number bed, plus the hotel was loud. People slamming doors. The toilets are the power flush type and we heard them most of the night. Walls appear to be thin. Room was Ok however their was a small amount of hair in the tub
Hotel was just ok I got a great price so I id not mind it as much. I will check other hotels if I return, but if the price is great I would not rule this one out.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
shelby, mich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Front desk staff was completely rude. Our room was filthy. Shower floor black and sticky. Hair on floors and walls. curtains ripped at bottom. air conditioning very loud. room smelled like smoke and very musty. We payed $159.00 for one night. Was only worth around $75.00 and, thats being generous. When we asked the valet for a good place to eat for breakfast. He recommended another hotel. What does that tell you ? Do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
toledo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Stayed here recently for an event at The House of Blues and couldn't ask for a better location and price ($65) via Priceline. Right across the street from Quicken Arena and Jacobs Field. Walk to E. 4th restaurants is very easy. We had a handicapped room for some reason and it was huge. Only real issue was the air conditioner. A little loud but not the end of the world.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

I agree with several other posters - it was not great, but not horrible.

One thing I will say right off the bat: This hotel had been classified on other websites as a 3.5 or 4 star hotel. That would be overly generous, in my opinion. 2.5 to 3, maybe.

If you want peace and quiet, don't stay here. The hotel is often filled on the weekends with sports fans attending one of the games (there is basketball and football within a stone's throw of the hotel). It's also near bars and clubs.

The entire night was filled with drunken people SCREAMING at the top of their lungs outside the hotel at each other.

If you are driving, don't use valet service. There is a garage across the street that you can self park in. The valets park at some place that's ludicrously far away, so it can take up to an hour to get your car.

The rooms are generally clean and somewhat comfortable. (Depends on whether you like Sleep Number beds - I don't).

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Noisy, not as nice as advised
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

This is a decent hotel for the most part. The staff wavered between being helpful and stand-offish. My major complaint lies with my room though. The A/C was broken and made some god-awful noises during my stay. My bathroom was horribly dirty and in need of some major cleaning. The rest of the room was comfortable enough, although the sleep number beds are always uncomfortable no matter where you stay (in my opinion, anyway). If you need to eat anywhere around the hotel, go toward Fourth Street and skip some of the restaurants near the Q and the hotel itself.

• Liked — Maybe the location?
  • Disliked — My room.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

was in town to watch a few tribe games location is excellent. room was good but only complaint was that in the rooms facing the road all have air con built into the bottom of windows which can get very noisy . i was awoken several times by the metal window frames rattling from the air con units in other rooms even had to turn mine off!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noisy aircon
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway? Share your experiences!