“Overbooked Hotel - Little Guy Loses” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Savings of 15%
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
Akron, Ohio
“Overbooked Hotel - Little Guy Loses”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Booked a room (guaranteed with credit card) in February 2014 at this hotel for a overnight stay on July 18, 2014 as part of a anniversary present and weekend in Downtown Cleveland. Upon our arrival at 5pm July 18th we were told hotel was overbooked and we were being relocated over 18 miles away to a Comfort Inn in a suburb of Cleveland. Having planned this weekend over 5 months ago, being sent over 18 miles away to a suburb was/is not acceptable. Due to events in downtown we were told this was the only option and they were sorry but nothing else they could do. If the hotel was overbooked, why no phone call? email? Room was booked directly on Radissons website. After spending an hour with the front desk, they offered to comp our valet parking and we could come back after our event and get our vehicle. After trying to make the best of the evening and returning to pick up our vehicle, we found it still sitting outside the hotel in the valet area. UNLOCKED with our things in it (since we had no room) and no keys to be found by valet/manager on duty. After spending over an hour waiting the manager finally located our keys in a box (not the valet key box) just a random storage box in the valet area. This entire experience has us very on edge about ever staying at a Radisson property again as when you make a reservation for a room and guarantee it with a credit card, you expect that room to be there when you arrive. Would not want to take that risk again. Very disappointed in Radisson. Took a weekend 5 months planned in advance and ruined the evening and their reputation with us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Melissa M, Manager at Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
We are very sorry about the situation that occurred. Unfortunately we were over booked and had to relocate some guest. All guest had the option to relocate and the hotel would cover the accommodations or received a complimentary room voucher. I also want to apologize for the key situation, both boxes at valet are for keys and they should have looked there. We are working very hard so this situation does not happen again. Thank you and have a great day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Powell, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

First of all, if you're staying for a downtown event (e.g. game, concert, theater), you can't beat the location. It's a block from the Q, 2 to Progressive Field, 4 to Theater District. Lots of bar/restaurants close by. The hotel itself is an older property, but with friendly staff and good-sized rooms, albeit plainly appointed. On-site restaurant, The Gateway, is only OK but convenient. The breakfast buffet ($12.95) is basically a little better quality than you get at any mid-price motel for free. The rate is typical for a downtown hotel, but less than other nicer hotels in the area (Ritz, Hilton). Valet parking is $19/night, which is more than local event parking, but cheaper than overnight parking at same garages. Radisson is a good value if you need the advantages of its great location. I can recommend.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
scott s, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for your comments about the friendly staff. We truly appreciate your business and the fact that you took your time to say some very positive things. We hope to see you again.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We live on the East side but decided to stay downtown to catch a Tribe game and enjoy the city. Very nice hotel. Close to everything! They have a restaurant/bar attached that turns into a breakfast facility in the morning. Free bottled water in the room. Free newspapers for all. Friendly staff. Our room was extremely spacious but the two beds were full, not queen sized. Would DEFINATELY recommend.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The team loves to hear from our guests and we just want to say thank you for staying with us.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Where do I begin? Walked into the building and saw that the lobby was nice. Front desk mentioned that I was upgraded to "business class." Excited to see what the upgrade was, we entered the elevator and headed up to our room. Once the elevator started going up at a snails pace, I realized that our experience with this hotel was about to go south. Upon entering the room, we noticed how small and run down it looked. I looked over and said to my wife, "if this is an upgrade, I'd hate to see what the other rooms looked like." I sat on the bed and noticed a red stain, which could have been blood next too a hole in the sheets. Their was an old small armoire that was falling apart and was supposed to be the closet space cause their were no closets in the room. Bathroom was old looking and no water pressure coming out of the shower head. It was one bad thing after another. I paid almost $200 a night and felt ripped off at the end of it all. Valet parking is $22.00 a night and breakfast not included. This is my first review of a hotel and I've stood at many. I was compelled to want to let people know what they were getting themselves into. Pictures on their website are very deceiving. If it wasn't for the location to the ballpark, this hotel is somewhere u should stay away from. Pay a little more and check other hotels in the area. I wish I would've known better. I guess the manager of this hotel is going to follow up with this review and mention how sorry they feel that I had a bad experience and that they're doing everything possible to make things better for their guests. They might even ask me to give them another try. Please don't believe any if it cause they know the dump that this place is. I don't understand who's writing anything even halfway positive about this hotel. I don't know if I'll ever go back to Cleveland but if I do go back, I'll never stay here. Radisson....you should be ashamed!!"

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of your room, including the bed, bathroom and lack of water pressure. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards.
Burlington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed night of July 4, 2014 and found it up to the Radisson standard generally, with a couple of bobbles I'd call "flukes", like a toilet that wouldn't stop running no matter what and one bed that was wonky on its base such that it tipped my son onto the floor when he climbed into it near midnight.

He slept to one side against the wall when we were only able to partially rebalance it. Not worth calling the desk at that hour!

Front staff were professional, pleasant and welcoming. The hotel was fully booked, so no price deals to be had, being it was INDEPENDENCE WEEKEND and the start of a two-game baseball series with the Indians meeting KC. Nice breakfast buffet in the morning included, so while the tab for the room overnight was knocking on the door of $200 after taxes and not including valet parking, the overall package was made acceptable by the proximity to the stadium across the street and the City Tap restaurant next door.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
scott s, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We are so very glad you enjoyed your visit. We always appreciate the feedback from our guests. Thank you again for staying with us.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I had a 3 day training session with my employer and could walk to the training in about 7 minutes. Also great central location downtown - close to lots of restaurants and shopping although unfortunately had no time for shopping. The room was clean and the bed fantastic. Very quiet - I was on the 5th floor. The shower head was great - the bathroom fan was there but did not work and there was no switch for it...or at least I couldn't find the switch. Great A/C and quiet. I didn't have time to watch TV. I had breakfast room service twice and both times it was absolutely excellent. Hot food, delicious and right at the right time I requested. The WiFi was a bit confusing but the book in the room told the password so it was all good and very solid connection. I had no problems with it at all. Overall the stay was quick and I was working all day but it was a very comfortable room to come back to and met my needs perfectly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
scott s, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you so much for your very positive feedback The team will really appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Some family members and I were in Cleveland to visit a loved one in the hospital and we stayed at the Raddison because of it's proximity to the hospital. It's in a decent location near lots of restaurants and bars, but there were too many annoying issues for me to give this place a positive review. First off the shower head in our room was broken. It sprayed water all over the bathroom and the main flow of water sprayed right into the wall. We mentioned it to the front rest the next morning, but when we got back later that evening, it was not fixed, and remained broken for the remainder of our stay.

The second issue; on one of our days we came back in the evening after being out all day and there had been no maid service to our room. No new towels, no new soaps, and the beds weren't made. However there was a housekeeping cart left sitting on the hallway over night and was still there the next morning at 10 am.

Basically what I'm getting at is that there is not adult in charge here. If you just need a place for one night for a concert or a ball game, you might be okay, but if you need a relaxing place to rest at the end of a long stressful day of work, or in our case, a hospital visits, you'd be best going any where else.

Stayed June 2014
Please accept our apologies for what was obviously not the excellent experience we strive to deliver to our guests. No excuse for it however we do appreciate the honest feedback. it really helps us to improve our services.

Been to Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway? Share your experiences!