“Just plain” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Las Vegas
“Just plain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Don't let my rating fool you. There really isn't anything wrong with this hotel. It is just plain to me. Living in and out of hotels I can easily compare brands. This Radisson is in a perfect location, right next to "The Q" and anything you need downtown. Staff was very nice and the property seemed pretty much up to date. But the rooms are lacking in some amenities that should be standard in my opinion. I love rooms with a micro-fridge and microwave. Unfortunately this property has neither (I think you can request a small fridge. Not sure). The doors slam very loud to. We all know that most people in hotels don't consider other guests and always slam their doors. So this can get old real quick. These rooms also have a "sleep number" bed. I didn't have any issues with it. But not sure if they really make a difference in a hotel, unless you already own one and know what your sleep number is. I would guess you would have to stay a while to get used to it to figure out what your true number would be. Anyway, ny no means is this a bad hotel. I just think they need to upgrade on some things.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Glendale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Hotel was clean, the staff seemed to care less about its guests. Lots of standing around chatting, very free on the language. Even standing in line they were not in hurry to put their conversations on hold to assist me. Lots of snow and ice in front of the hotel, could have been cleared out by the staff versus socializing. Breakfast was good and the buffet was in expensive. I also could hear the elevators running all night from my room, luckily I sleep hard.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

As an employee in the hospitality business, I don't give rave reviews often but my experience with the Radisson Cleveland downtown has been superb. I have been staying for extended period at this hotel and cannot say enough good about the experience. The staff has been extremely friendly and helpful (even if I wasn’t), the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the hotel/Radisson brand does little things that I appreciate (like loofa scrubs in showers for example). The hotel is extremely convenient for any downtown activities too – right across from the stadiums and in the central business district. Easy parking next door or valet, good staff there too. All in all, a great value, best rate I could find coupled with the best experience in hotel stays in Cleveland I have found. Again, I work for the hotel industry throughout the Midwest so I’m not shy for criticism if deserved.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Mentor, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed there the Friday after Thanksgiving this year and everything started out well. Our package included the Valet parking and breakfast. I thought this was a great deal knowing my car would be parked safely while we were downtown. We checked out on Saturday morning and when the valet came back, the car had been gone through and everything in the glove box and center console were all over the car. Apparently the valet never locked the doors the night before when they parked the car. Luckily the person who went through the car was only looking for cash and credit cards and the most valuable items were still there. Other than the inconvenience of canceling a couple cards that were in there, filing a police report and talking to a couple detectives, nothing much needed to be done. My total dissatisfaction in in how the hotel has handled the situation. After the valet brought me the car, I went in and asked for a manager. The person at the desk said they could help me and we filled out a repot. There was no real sympathy from the person helping me and I have never heard from someone at the hotel since. I did fill out a survey and gave them a very detailed account of the problem and all I received was a standard form response from the front desk manager. I responded to them and still have not received a response. In the end, the room was very nice but I would not recommend this hotel or would never stay at a Radisson brand based on how this situation was handled.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Hello Sir,

Unfortunately I was away from the office and could not reply back at the time. Because the police are now involved, you should proceed with the police. I'm sure that is not what you were hoping to hear, but it is now out of our hands. We have provided the police with all information they have requested. I do apologize for any inconvenience.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We were overall quite pleased with this downtown hotel! It is almost right across the street from the Quicken arena (purpouse of our trip) and baseball field. We booked a suite with a bedroom (with sleep number bed) , living room with fold out bed, 2 desks, mini kitchen area. We were quite pleased the room was huge ! plenty of room for our family of 4 to relax and not be on top of each other- a plus when staying in a hotel.
The staffing at the front desk and valet was slim at times. I even called ahead and my car was still not ready. The staff was friendly though.
Nice bath amenties (bath pouf! and body wash)
I would reccomend bringing a few bottles of water and snacks (as we typically do) , as we could not find a convenience store close to this hotel. The vending is extremely limited.
The 'Christmas Story House" is a close family excursion

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Bloomington, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I've stayed at many Radisson's over the years, and none of them have been like this hotel. We checked into a room that didn't have any heat. I immediately called the front desk and was told a maintenance person would come up shortly. After 20 minutes, I called again and was told the person was on his way up. I opened the door to see a security guard standing at my door. He told me the front desk sent him up to check my heat. He didn't know where the thermostat was or what was wrong. After a second conversation with the front desk, we asked to be moved to another room. He moved us to another room, only to give our previous room to a couple that checked in while I was getting my new room key. I told them we didn't have any heat, and we were still in the room, waiting for our new room. It was a fiasco, to say the least. Will never stay there again! Incompetent front desk manager.

Room Tip: Hotel is close to bars/restaurants.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
We are sorry you were not satisfied with the conditions of your room in regards to lack of heat. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards. Also, we apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best customer service.
Kent, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Pro's - Location (close to anything you want in Cleveland), Clean, Service (see also Con's), Breakfast in the "Library", general service from staff

Booked at King, Non-Smoking and when we checked in, we had had Doubles. We called downstairs and was told that because we used a third party (Hotels.com), they don't "guarantee" you get what you book (i.e...a King bed). I was told by the front desk that no rooms with King beds were available because of a wedding. I found the original email that stated we booked a "King" bed, then went down to the front desk. The young man there found a King room, no hassle.

Con's - Sleep Number bed did not work, immediate "no we don't have a king even though that's what you booked" answer from woman at front desk and if you like a dark hotel room, don't get room 315 - there is a quarter inch gap all the way around the door letting light through

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple