“Unless you're going to a game, don't pass thru the Gateway.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Savings of 15%
Ranked #22 of 34 Hotels in Cleveland
Chicago, IL
“Unless you're going to a game, don't pass thru the Gateway.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We were in Cleveland with our son's hockey team for an outdoor tournament being played at Progressive Field - home to the Cleveland Indians. On paper, I was really happy we were staying right across the street from the stadium-4 games, no diriving! The Radisson was barely passable but could have been so much better.
On the surface, they've done an alright job of making it LOOK slightly updated but here are the many ways in which they drop the ball:
Too many rooms are 2-double beds, not many king beds.
Bathrooms are TERRIBLE: plumbing and plumbing fixtures were a joke. Our toilet was staging a very loud, obnoxious death: water pressure was abysmal, you almost needed a wrench to turn on the bathroom sink faucet, the size and shape of the bathroom was unacceptable, and just to totally frustrate me for 3 days: the garbage can in the bathroom was slightly larger than a kleenex box and you had to step on it to open the 4" lid. ARGGGGGH.
No closet (an armoire) no mini-fridge or room service other than breakfast. Breakfast in the restaurant was NOT good. Not overly expensive but NOT good. Fake scrambled eggs, thick greasy bacon, fake hash browns. Good oj.
The room phones are ancient and dirty and in our room, everytime someone called, the phone recorded your conversation and then a few minutes later, alerted you that you had a message. ARGGGGGH.
The room wasn't properly cleaned or vacuumed. My daughter spilled some popcorn and a day later, there were some wayward kernels still on the floor (turned out to be a good test of how much cleaning and vacuuming is actually done, btw).
Even worse: the room service breakfast we ordered Saturday morning, was still sitting in the hall outside our room door when we checked out Sunday afternoon. UGH UGH UGH.
The cleaning lady:grumpy. If you're no good at cleaning and you're not very nice, why are you working in a hotel?
Check-in staff and valet look totally sketchy like they're about to steal your iPhone.. but were actually helpful.
So, bottom line is, unless you have to be near the baseball field or the Cav's stadium, give a pass to the Radisson Gateway.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

My first impression at this facility was quite positive: excellent valet service and check-in service. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. We had two issues with our room. One, an unfortunate discovery behind one of the drapes which I reported to management. Two, our sleep number bed would not inflate and since the hotel was booked there was no other unit available. However, I really believe that both "incidents" were just a fluke. Furthermore, management went out of their way to compensate me for my inconvenience. I would definitely go back again and I am sure everything would be just fine; their service and kind intentions were so impressive. You just don't find that in a chain hotel anymore.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011 via mobile

Decent stay but the shower water pressure was very week on the 8th floor. Also the valet parking is weird as you can't access the parking and if you forgot something the attendant will have to pick it up. Breakfast not the best either

• Stayed October 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed here for TWO nights, on a business trip. Company paid. Otherwise, I would not have stayed.
Rooms are not very clean. Bathrooms had hair in tub, and floor. Had to request housekeeping on both rooms... and have recleaned.
Housekeeping VERY LOUD> > > Slamming doors, constantly.
Staff try to help ... but you've got so many employees.. all over the hotel... All are LOUD....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This is a good location if you're going to a sports game or walking to the Rock and Roll hall of fame. The listed rates are way too high and we booked using hotwire. But, even the discounted price wasn't worth it. There seems to be a mosquito/fly problem in downtown Cleveland (maybe because of the lake). There were bugs on the revolving door, in the lobby, in the elevator, and in the hotel room (if staff read this you desperately need to clean the dead bugs above the lowered ceiling in the lobby. While waiting for our car we looked up and saw hundreds of flys up there). The room just didn't seem clean (stains behind the bathroom door). The sleep number beds are horrific. Ours was broken (the screen that shows the number didn't work and we could not adjust the bed softer). Although there are signs stating the Radisson guarantees your satisfaction they were unable to fix the bed. The evening front desk staff was curt and borderline rude. The morning front desk staff were friendlier but were still unable to fix the bed ("either you love them or you hate them.") I don't understand why a hotel would only offer one type of bed. Especially if so many other people have complained about them.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I don't like giving negative reviews, but I feel I have to be honest, and this review is honest.

I checked in and was given a room on the 5th floor. I open the door and see a lot of stairs. This is strange, but OK. The bathtub has water splash guards on both sides, they are both broken. See attached picture to see what I mean. One even has mold/mildew in it. There's a tiny little trash can in the bathroom that you have to step on a lever to open the lid. I step on the lever and it falls over and lots of trash comes out from the previous guest. Housekeeping never emptied it.

I got undressed for the night and went to sit down on the edge of bed and it went crashing down with a boom. I thought I broke it. This bed was so soft I had sunk into it. I got to the other side and it was as hard as a rock. Turns out it's a sleep number bed and you have to adjust it from 1 to 99. When people are tired they don't have time to learn a "bed system" and try 99 different numbers trying to find one they like. When people are tired they just want to go to bed. But now I had to learn this new device. I pick up the remote and start trying to change the settings. I get a "Low battery" symbol. I now have to get dressed and go all the way down to the front desk to get a battery. She doesn't have one. Says the valet will bring me one later. Now i can't go to bed because I have to wait for him. He finally comes and brings me a battery and I adjust the bed and go to bed.

The next morning I come out and in the 5th floor lobby there is an empty beer can (see picture). In the ice machine there is another empty beer can. The elevator opens. Someone has spilled grape drink (or wine?) all over the elevator (see picture). You can't stand in there without getting sticky shoes because of the splatter. Did no hotel employees see any of this?

I was headed down at 6am to get breakfast since I had to leave at 6:45am. The guy says on Saturdays and Sundays the restaurant doesn't open for breakfast until 7am. This is way too late. It should open at 6am, people have early morning flights/buses/trains to catch. So my breakfast was a vending machine breakfast of soda and cookies.

I like to give hotels the benefit of the doubt, but I found so many things wrong it seems to show a lack of caring or perhaps just incompetence/ignorance from the staff about the state of the hotel.

As the title states I can't recommend this hotel in good faith to anyone. There must be better hotels in Cleveland you can stay at instead.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Hotel is in a great location. We walked to a revamped downtown area (House of Blues, etc.). We also walked to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. This hotel is LITERALLY across the street from Quicken Loans arena. Sleep number beds are kinda' cool. Elevators are old and slow. Everything is relatively clean, although our room smelled like smoke even though it is a non-smoking room. I agree with past reviews that the front desk woman is gruff, especially on the phone. Breakfast was satisfactory, however I wouldn't have paid $10 for it like some reviewers chose to - it's not worth paying for. TIPS: Don't leave windows open, we opened our windows to air out the room and came back an hour later to a dozen mosquitos. Also, our window looked directly into some poor soul's office - pretty sure she saw my shocked face when I looked out the window partially dressed!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Hotel Cleveland - Gateway? Share your experiences!