“Beautiful Historic Building -- pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Indianapolis, IN
“Beautiful Historic Building -- pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

I really struggled with where to stay when our family planned a holiday reunion in Cleveland. I like the Marriott chain but this hotel really seemed to get mixed reviews. If you are going to a sporting event in downtown Cleveland this would be a great choice. If you're going to be in town when the weather is warm 4th Street looks like a lot of fun.
The good things:
7. Nice "library" type room off the main lobby
8. Billiard room w/ two tables off lobby -- fun for our family
9. Beautiful historic building with the arcade in the middle
The not so good things:
1. The walk to your room can be long. We didn't mind because we enjoyed the building but if you're disabled or just don't like a long walk you need to request a room located near the lobby elevators
2. The mattress was not the nice plush Marriott mattress
3. The rooms are so big that they seem under decorated and a little cold
4. Speaking of cold.....the return air vent was directly over the bathroom vanity so the bedroom area was warm but the bathroom was frigid
5. Be sure to take advantage of the free breakfast on Sunday morning because there is NOTHING open around the hotel (other than add'l hotels)
6. The arcade is very cool architecturally but there isn't anything open in it.....made for a deserted feeling in the main halls of the hotel

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010 via mobile

Long weekend getaway with tickets to Lake Erie Monsters & Cavs games was made even better by the great location of this hotel. Within walking distance of great restaurants on E 4th St & Q Arena. Hot breakfast included in the price of the hotel was a bonus. Staff was beyond friendly and helpful. We stayed in a King suite on the second floor in a very spacious room. Hotel is quaint and makes the most of the setting.

• Stayed November 2010
Oakville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We just returned from a three night stay in this hotel. The free breakfast was very good and the staff are all very friendly and accommodating. Beware if you are a light sleeper ask for a room facing the back of the hotel otherwise the "night people" out on Prospect will keep you awake. There are adverts in each room for Teresa's pizza on Euclid but stay clear as they don't make your pizza the way you ordered it and they tend to be very slow, ours came blackened! This hotel is across the street from the Cav's and the Indian's and a 15 min walk from the Brown's and the Rock and Roll hall of fame. All in all a great place to stay for games. Yes you have to pay to park but $22 for 3 nights is not bad at all. Lots of bars and restaurants within a short as well.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

My brother and I spent one night here last summer before going to an Indians game. First of all, the location is ideal for going to Progressive Field (it'll always be the Jake to me), as the hotel is just a short three blocks walk to the park. The Cavs arena is right there too. Sorry, guys. Still can't believe LeBron betrayed you.

Anyhow, the location is terrific. Downtown Cleveland is a little quiet, but there are still some good restaurants nearby and the area surrounding the ballpark is loaded with bars. We had a very fun night in a few of them after the game. You're also about a 10-minute walk from the lakefront, which includes the Browns stadium and the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, which was surprisingly excellent. Well worth a trip.

The hotel itself is situated in a historic commercial building, which we liked. We also liked the affordable rate we received. It was, however, a little worn and tired. The room was fairly blah and old. Same with the bathroom. Not dirty, mind you, just not sparkling or new. I had the pull-out couch that night, and it was fine.

The staff, however, couldn't have been nicer. We got a warm greeting upon our arrival, which we appreciated. Later, after I made a small complaint to the front desk clerk (it was so minor I honestly can't remember what it was -- maybe one of the lights in our room was out?), she comped by Marriott Rewards account with so many bonus points I was able to get a free night in Vienna when I took my wife there later that summer! Very cool. Also, my brother I made very good use of the pool table the hotel has set up in a small room off the lobby. We had a blast late that night (I won, ahem), and we also took advantage of the $3 Sam Adams bottles for sale in a refrigerator in the lobby.

A fun night. We'd come back, for certain.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

On first glance, the place is really nice. It's a beautiful old historic building,originally a market many, many years ago. But, the renovations are not quite finished it seems and some of the decor seems a little dated. That is not my major concern, however! I found hair all over the bathroom counter, tub and fecal matter on the toilet seat when I arrived. Housekeeping came up and supposedly cleaned again, but then when I took a shower, there was still some mans short body hairs all over the shower walls.!!! The front desk staff was very nice in that they were prompt to offer me another room if I wanted and they claimed to award me 10,000 points to my rewards account, but I just wanted a clean room. Similarly, I don't think they ever vacuumed this room. I found loose change, scraps of paper, price tags from clothing and all sorts of other odds and ends all over. The kitchen appeared clean, but other than storing some fruit in the refrigerator and microwaving water for tea, I did not use it. The TV was fine, nothing exceptional, the usual thing. The windows were huge with room darkening drapes, except the 2nd floor faces a brick building 10 feet away. Room lighting was fine and the bed was fine. Thank good ness the linens were clean.

The breakfast room was cheerful, large and sunny with CNN on the TV and lots of good items to eat from the breakfast buffet. On the first flood is a huge den with a couple of computers for internet use 24-7. This feels like a comfortable room to hang out with family.

Parking is available and easily accesible through the basement, but I'm not sure how much it costs. Location is nice as it is 1 block from public transit and the block next door (4th street) has lovely restaurants and lots of patio seating as it is pedestrian-only. 1 block away is a fancy bowling place and a dessert bar, too.

And, before I forget, each room has a sofa bed, but there is no separation from the main bed. From my cousins I heard that the sofa bed was pretty lumpy and that one could feel the springs pretty well. For a suite, I would have preferred some sort of dividing wall between the sleeping area and the living area, but it was just 1 big room

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Looking for a hotel near the Progressive Field. Hotel located a short 5-10 minute walk from the ballpark (Basketball arena nearby). If you are looking for scenic view this is not the hotel for you.

There is no big sign pointing out the Residence Inn on Prospect Street. Long narrow, driveway down to the parking lot. Had concerns regarding the parking from previous post and it is tight. Although the spaces are normal size its the narrow lanes which makes it tight. It is one way in and one way out. This causes the turning into and out of the spaces difficult. Rental car was a Toyota Camry so it was not too bad maneuvering into the spaces. An SUV or van could be difficult. Parking is $17.00/day plus tax. Open parking lot across the street was parking prices. Attached pictures as this seemed as one of the bigger concerns.

Arrived at 8:30 am an attempted an early check-in. Front desk clerk said the housekeeping staff just started cleaning. Took our cell phone numbers said he would call if something opened up early. Went out for breakfast and checked out the city. 10:15am came back and no rooms available. Went out to the ballgame and no calls all day. Returned at 3:30 and different staff that was very inviting and cheerful. No mention made on our part but suspect policy is no early check-in. I wish the first front desk clerk had just been up front and mentioned it.

Room on the fifth floor. The high ceiling made the room appear larger. The room is larger than other Residence Inn previously visited. Large, clean room with a king size bed, pull out sofa bed, sitting chair, television. Counter with two or three high stool to sit. Full kitchen with stove, microwave, fridge, sink, dishes and dishwasher.. Free internet but hard wire near the counter. Separate sink outside of the shower/toilet. Caution as the shower/toilet area is small and tight.

Manager’s hour at night from 5:00 – 7:00 pm. Beer, wine, juice available. Chili, nacho and salad also available at no cost.

Complimentary breakfast served in the morning. Items included scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuit, waffles, cereal, milk, juice, yogurt, fruit, coffee, pastry and bread. Friendly staff assisting. Free USAToday and Wall Street Journal.

Complimentary desktop computers with printers available in the lobby.

Except for the original front desk clerk, this is one of nicer Residence Inn I have stayed at and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Encinitas, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

The staff are extremely accommodating and have never balked at any reasonable request. In fact, on my first night the front desk kindly offered to take me to a local grocery store to shore up on goods.

The breakfast is decent, with some healthy alternatives to the common bacon and eggs bit. The "managers toast", is sparse in terms of food variety, but more than makes up for it with free wine and decent beer and is available on Tuesday - Thursday evenings.

The location really couldn't get much better. You are in the heart of downtown, with availability to pretty much everything Cleveland has to offer. The Hotel is steps away from the bustling East 4th Street, which is comprised of the best restaurants in town.

My one serious gripe with this place are the paper thin walls. I had to request a move from my original room because I could hear my neighbors late night conversation as if he were in the room with me. Even earplugs couldn't drown out the perception that I was sharing my space. The staff accommodated me with a move, but unfortunately my new neighbor just so happened to be an aging elevator. Now, I hear each bell chime and squeak of this contraption as if it were personally calling me for a ride.

All in all, this is not a bad place to stay and might possibly be the best option in Downtown Cleveland. However, if you're a light sleeper, or simply want to sleep in, you may want to invest in some heavy duty earplugs.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!