“How convenient is this ?” 3 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Chicago, Illinois
“How convenient is this ?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We were planning on dining and going to the Cleveland Indian game against the Twins.
We were able to walk to Eerything.Indoor parking was terrible very narrow drive and shorter than normal length for parking spots. We parked at another facility. Comp breakfast on 2nd floor was okj however during my 1 breakfast the coffee had run out 2 times. The hotel I was told is around 130 years old but had some ambience . View out the window was Quicken Stadium and Progressive Field

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Steve R, General Manager at Residence Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Dan,

Thank you for writing about your stay with us. Hearing your comments is greatly appreciated. As a historic hotel we do have challenges with our garage but hope the convenience of parking within the hotel helps compensate this. I hope being within walking distance to Cleveland's best restaurants, casino and sports venues helps you consider us for a future stay. Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss your stay further. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was very pleased with this hotel. Great location, nice and comfortable room, and the staff was wonderful! Loved the schedule of local events and list of restaurants nearby.
Only stayed one night and didn't get up early enough for the free breakfast.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Princess Cher,

Thank you for being our guest and writing about our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again on future visits to Cleveland.
Norwalk, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The room and hallways are pervaded by cooking odors. I don't know whether these emanate from the hotel kitchen or the individual suites, which include kitchens with vent hoods that do NOT vent outside but rather back into the room. The windows do not open, so the odors are inescapable. We ended up buying air fresheners--a first for a hotel stay.
We had a king suite, with a spacious living room. But the layout of the suite defeats the purpose of having a suite, in that the bathroom vanity is IN the bedroom--not walled off into what we think of as a bathroom. So if one guest is trying to sleep and the other is washing up, there is no privacy. The "bathroom" is miniscule and includes only the toilet and bathtub, with literally no room to turn around. It would have been so easy to built a partition wall between the bedroom and the vanity, thus making the bathroom much larger and allowing a truly separate bedroom.
The parking garage is very crowded, with pillars and other obstructions that make it tricky to get into and out of a space without dings. And we don't even have a big car. . . we ended up parking at the far end of the garage to have a little more maneuvering room.
This really is a minimal-service environment; our room was made up only once after our arrival for a 4-night stay, and that was probably because we specifically asked at the desk to have it made up. Nobody helped guests at the entrance door who were dealing with luggage and trying to get in the door. The breakfast was uninspired and lacked cut up fresh fruit.
That all said, the staff was friendly and polite for the most part.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Steve R, General Manager at Residence Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Janet B.,

Thank you writing and advising us of your stay. Please accept my apologies for the odors you encountered as well as our lack of service to your suite. Concerning the odors, we are adjusting our building's HVAC system to bring additional fresh air into the hallways. This will push a guest's cooking odors outside via their own suite's exhaust system. I would like to know your suite number, and additional information, to better solve these issues and further discuss your stay.

Concerning our building and parking garage I am aware that, as a historic property, some of our suites are not traditional but do offer touches of our historic nature. We have many room types and can help select a suite that matches your needs. The convenience of our parking garage, located within our hotel, hopefully makes up for some tight spaces.

Again, thank you for writing. I look forward to discussing your stay with you directly and inviting you to again be our guest.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed her for one night and was quite pleased. Older hotel, I believe built in the late 1890's and as such has a lot of character.
Parking is limited but there is overflow parking available.
Travelled with a group of people, so a few rooms were required. All rooms where very similar in amenities. Rooms encompassed a room with 1 king bed, 1 bedroom suite (king) and a two bedroom suite (1 king bed and second room with 2 queen beds,each room with its own washroom).
All rooms were clean, very quiet with high ceilings. Furnishings seemed a little worn as did the carpeting but were still clean.
Washroom/tub where separated from the sink by a door.

Buffett breakfast was included with our package and included sausage patty, pancakes fresh waffles along with the usual (pastries, cereals, juices, fruit, coffee and tea, etc.) Hot potato wedges were in demand and the staff was unable to keep an adequate supply available. Staff was very helpful and apologetic for the shortage of potato's.

All staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful.

Location was FANtastic for our purposes as we came to watch the Indians at Progressive Field. Stadium is literally a two minute walk from the hotel and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame only 15 minutes. If you enjoy music, the Hall of Fame is a great venue, well worth the money. Plan at least 4hrs to appreciate it.

Just around the corner from the hotel is a walking only street (no traffic) full of restaurants for all walks of life.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear YYZ Traveler,

Thank you for writing and advising us of your stay. It is always appreciated when our guests take the time to write and let us know of their experience with us. The details you provided are very helpful and knowing what you enjoyed alows us to thank the staff involved.

Again, thank you for writing and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Cleveland.

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

A lovely hotel in a great location, but ultimately I felt I was taken for my money. The two key problems that led to this conclusion was a general lack of attention to detail, and a ridiculous pet policy that was not disclosed in my confirmation e-mail. The most obvious example of the lack of attention to detail is the pick up/drop off in from of the hotel. There was a lineup to use the space, and I had to circle the block a few times to park. When I eventually parked, an employee explained the parking system (their lot was full), but he did not even offer to help with the bags. Once inside, I was told to go to Standard Parking with an address. Neither name nor address was on the parking building and there were about ten lots around, but I was given no clear directions until after repeatedly circling the block (again), I parked illegally (pick-up/drop off was occupied again) and asked for clearer instructions. When I finally checked in I was told their was a $100 charge for my pet. And if any damage occurred, including urine stains, a $1300 charge was to be levied. While I understand the hotel needs to protect itself from irresponsible pet owners, I can hardly imagine our mini poodle - let alone a pack of rottweillers - doing $1300 of damage. They also said in the contract (which I wouldn't have signed if I hadn't arrived two hours before a baseball game, making it hard to find another pet friendly hotel on short notice nearby) that if the dog was too loud, we could be kicked out. Red Roof - need I mention, a comparatively downscale hotel - simply asks for your cell phone if you are out and the dog is making noise so they can contact you. I did not feel welcomed but felt ripped off. We did get a free breakfast - the type I'd expect at an Economy Inn. As a final note, the room we were given was right beside an elevator. Not returning.

Dear Mr. Miller,

Thank you for writing concerning your stay with us on April 18th. It is greatly appreciated when our guests take the time to advise us of challenges with their stay.

Please accept my appologies for the service you received at check in and with your parking. Arrivals were exceptionally busy that Friday, with the Indian's game against Toronto, which caused additional parking congestion. My appologies that we did not give you better directions to our neighboring garages.

Concerning our pet fees please know that all Residence Inns charge a $100. pet fee. Knowing now that you had a mini poodle does make this sound excessive but we do try to be consistant with our rules.

Mr. Miller, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I have taken the liberty to adjust the pet fee from your credit card. You should see this adjustment within 72 hours. If you would like to further discuss your stay I am available at 216.443.9043 or at my email address attached.

Thank you for being our guest and I look forward to hearing from you.

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Great location right across the street from Progressive Field and only a five minute walk to the Horse Shoe Casino. Front desk staff was great and very helpful. The Room layout was average the Kitchen was down a long hall but adequate. The Bed was Ok not great, seemed old and worn. We were in room 254. Breakfast was average but very little fruit selection and no bacon or sausage. They did have eggs with peppers and sausage to make a breakfast burrito.
The only real gripe is that you can hear everything that is going on outside your door. It was very loud and since our room faced Euclid quite loud at 2 when the bars let out. Breakfast also closed at 10 on Sunday and that is early for a Sunday they should consider extending it to 11:00

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay with us in April. It is always appreciated when our guests take the time to tell us about their stay.

Please accept my appologies for the noise you heard from Euclid Avenue. I know this must have been disturbing and I do appologize for this. On future visits please advise our Front Desk staff in advance that you desire a quiet room and we will do our best to keep you on a high floor or facing away from the street. If you would like to discuss this further I am available at 216.443.9043 or by the email address attached.

Again, thank you for writing and I hope to see you on your next trip to Cleveland.

Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night on March 31st. After staying in Chicago for 5 days, we decided to rent a car and drive to Washington DC and stay for 5 days. Cleveland was our second stop on this long trip. We arrived close to 10pm and were very tired. The male front desk agent was very polite and friendly and offered me 2 complimentary beverages.

We stayed in a king bedroom suite on the 6th floor in the Euclid tower. I was pleased that my request to stay on a higher floor was honored. (The hotel has 7 floors.) We parked in the garage right next to the hotel. There is a sign above the alley you turn into to enter the garage shown as "Colonial". They charge $18 per day for parking, but I didn't think the garage was as tight as others have stated. It was small, but it wasn't the tightest parking garage that I have ever seen. We were driving a small SUV and had no issues. However, I can see how someone with a large SUV could have some problems.

As others have stated, it is a long walk to your room if you are staying in the Euclid tower, but I wasn't bothered by this. I enjoyed admiring how beautiful this historic building is. The room was quite large, much larger than I expected. Even though it was a one king bedroom suite, it had 2 full bathrooms. The kitchen had a full sized refrigerator and microwave. The living area had a sofa and a flat screen TV with a desk between the living area and kitchen. Both the kitchen and living area were downstairs in the room along with a full bathroom. The bathroom downstairs a was shower/tub combination with the vanity outside of the bathroom.

Up the staircase, was the large king-sized bedroom with its own full bathroom. That bathroom had the shower/tub combination with the vanity separated. There was a second flat screen TV in the bedroom. Of course, they provide free wifi and the room was very clean. For the most part, it was quiet, just a little road noise. There was good water pressure in the upstairs bathroom.

I didn't get up early enough for the free breakfast. I think it ends at 9 or 9:30am. The Horseshoe casino is just up the street from the hotel. The Hard Rock Café is next to the Ritz-Carlton and is within walking distance. The Rock n' Roll hall of fame is about a mile away. When I checked out, the female front desk agent was very polite and friendly. They even let us leave our car in their garage for a few extra hours. There are also several restaurants in the Arcade, where we had lunch. I would definitely stay here again if I come back to Cleveland.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!