“Nearly As Expensive for Our Pet to Stay As Us” 2 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Toronto
“Nearly As Expensive for Our Pet to Stay As Us”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

A lovely hotel in a great location, but ultimately I felt I was taken for my money. The two key problems that led to this conclusion was a general lack of attention to detail, and a ridiculous pet policy that was not disclosed in my confirmation e-mail. The most obvious example of the lack of attention to detail is the pick up/drop off in from of the hotel. There was a lineup to use the space, and I had to circle the block a few times to park. When I eventually parked, an employee explained the parking system (their lot was full), but he did not even offer to help with the bags. Once inside, I was told to go to Standard Parking with an address. Neither name nor address was on the parking building and there were about ten lots around, but I was given no clear directions until after repeatedly circling the block (again), I parked illegally (pick-up/drop off was occupied again) and asked for clearer instructions. When I finally checked in I was told their was a $100 charge for my pet. And if any damage occurred, including urine stains, a $1300 charge was to be levied. While I understand the hotel needs to protect itself from irresponsible pet owners, I can hardly imagine our mini poodle - let alone a pack of rottweillers - doing $1300 of damage. They also said in the contract (which I wouldn't have signed if I hadn't arrived two hours before a baseball game, making it hard to find another pet friendly hotel on short notice nearby) that if the dog was too loud, we could be kicked out. Red Roof - need I mention, a comparatively downscale hotel - simply asks for your cell phone if you are out and the dog is making noise so they can contact you. I did not feel welcomed but felt ripped off. We did get a free breakfast - the type I'd expect at an Economy Inn. As a final note, the room we were given was right beside an elevator. Not returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Steve R, General Manager at Residence Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Mr. Miller,

Thank you for writing concerning your stay with us on April 18th. It is greatly appreciated when our guests take the time to advise us of challenges with their stay.

Please accept my appologies for the service you received at check in and with your parking. Arrivals were exceptionally busy that Friday, with the Indian's game against Toronto, which caused additional parking congestion. My appologies that we did not give you better directions to our neighboring garages.

Concerning our pet fees please know that all Residence Inns charge a $100. pet fee. Knowing now that you had a mini poodle does make this sound excessive but we do try to be consistant with our rules.

Mr. Miller, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I have taken the liberty to adjust the pet fee from your credit card. You should see this adjustment within 72 hours. If you would like to further discuss your stay I am available at 216.443.9043 or at my email address attached.

Thank you for being our guest and I look forward to hearing from you.

Steve R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Great location right across the street from Progressive Field and only a five minute walk to the Horse Shoe Casino. Front desk staff was great and very helpful. The Room layout was average the Kitchen was down a long hall but adequate. The Bed was Ok not great, seemed old and worn. We were in room 254. Breakfast was average but very little fruit selection and no bacon or sausage. They did have eggs with peppers and sausage to make a breakfast burrito.
The only real gripe is that you can hear everything that is going on outside your door. It was very loud and since our room faced Euclid quite loud at 2 when the bars let out. Breakfast also closed at 10 on Sunday and that is early for a Sunday they should consider extending it to 11:00

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay with us in April. It is always appreciated when our guests take the time to tell us about their stay.

Please accept my appologies for the noise you heard from Euclid Avenue. I know this must have been disturbing and I do appologize for this. On future visits please advise our Front Desk staff in advance that you desire a quiet room and we will do our best to keep you on a high floor or facing away from the street. If you would like to discuss this further I am available at 216.443.9043 or by the email address attached.

Again, thank you for writing and I hope to see you on your next trip to Cleveland.

Steve R.
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night on March 31st. After staying in Chicago for 5 days, we decided to rent a car and drive to Washington DC and stay for 5 days. Cleveland was our second stop on this long trip. We arrived close to 10pm and were very tired. The male front desk agent was very polite and friendly and offered me 2 complimentary beverages.

We stayed in a king bedroom suite on the 6th floor in the Euclid tower. I was pleased that my request to stay on a higher floor was honored. (The hotel has 7 floors.) We parked in the garage right next to the hotel. There is a sign above the alley you turn into to enter the garage shown as "Colonial". They charge $18 per day for parking, but I didn't think the garage was as tight as others have stated. It was small, but it wasn't the tightest parking garage that I have ever seen. We were driving a small SUV and had no issues. However, I can see how someone with a large SUV could have some problems.

As others have stated, it is a long walk to your room if you are staying in the Euclid tower, but I wasn't bothered by this. I enjoyed admiring how beautiful this historic building is. The room was quite large, much larger than I expected. Even though it was a one king bedroom suite, it had 2 full bathrooms. The kitchen had a full sized refrigerator and microwave. The living area had a sofa and a flat screen TV with a desk between the living area and kitchen. Both the kitchen and living area were downstairs in the room along with a full bathroom. The bathroom downstairs a was shower/tub combination with the vanity outside of the bathroom.

Up the staircase, was the large king-sized bedroom with its own full bathroom. That bathroom had the shower/tub combination with the vanity separated. There was a second flat screen TV in the bedroom. Of course, they provide free wifi and the room was very clean. For the most part, it was quiet, just a little road noise. There was good water pressure in the upstairs bathroom.

I didn't get up early enough for the free breakfast. I think it ends at 9 or 9:30am. The Horseshoe casino is just up the street from the hotel. The Hard Rock Café is next to the Ritz-Carlton and is within walking distance. The Rock n' Roll hall of fame is about a mile away. When I checked out, the female front desk agent was very polite and friendly. They even let us leave our car in their garage for a few extra hours. There are also several restaurants in the Arcade, where we had lunch. I would definitely stay here again if I come back to Cleveland.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sandusky, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We had a group of 14 girls who stayed on Saturday, April 12, 2013 at the Residence Inn for a Bachelorette Party. The location and price is one of the best by far.. You can walk to everything in Downtown Cleveland in a reasonable time and at a comfortable pace. We reserved 2 (1 king) separate rooms which were clean and ready at check in. One of our rooms was upgraded to a 1 king and 2 queen room which was just awesome! Thank you to the front desk for that!

Everything in our rooms was fantastic. The beds were very comfortable and there was so much room for all of our girls to gather before going out. The staff was unlike any other I've encountered. They were very nice and accomodating.. had answers to all our questions and always had a smile on their face.

Parking was easy and at a good value.. there are two options.. either their parking lot under the hotel or their overflow lot which is right before the entrance to the lobby. I felt safe and secure parking my car overnight.

Breakfast in the morning was awesome. Normally I don't expect too much when getting a complimentary breakfast, but they really made it a great start to our morning. Well stocked and attended breakfast bar with eggs (that weren't gross), pastries, fruit, waffles, coffee, juice, etc. The ladies were working as fast as they could to make sure each guest had what they wanted.

Thank you to the Residence Inn for making our stay a great one! We will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

The location of this Residence Inn is great if you wish to walk to an Indians' game or to the Horseshoe Casino. There are also many restaurants in the area. Our room was fine. Could have been cleaner and it is an older building so keep that in mind. The free breakfast was very nice and very well staffed. The workout room is also well kept. We had to park in overflow parking and I wish we would have just paid for it ourselves. The machine indicated it would have cost $10 (overnight on a Saturday), but the hotel charged us $20. Not my favorite hotel, but the location and cost worked for us.

Room Tip: We were near the elevator and it was a bit loud. It didn't bother us, but if you area a light s...
Kenton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Myself along with my 10 year old son spent one night at the Residence Inn downtown Cleveland while attending a Cavaliers game. I chose this property for two reasons: 1. location & 2. cost, I was very much satisfied with my choice. We had maybe a 200 yard walk from the Residence Inn to the front doors of Quicken Loan Arena. It appeared to be not much more of a walk onto Progressive Field for a baseball game. The hotel was clean, rooms were large, & staff wonderful.
If visiting downtown Cleveland again for a basketball or baseball game the Residence Inn will be my choice simply for its convenient location. One piece of information I would have liked to known..... there is no valet parking. I pulled up and expected someone to take my car. You self park it yourself in the Residence Inn private garage which is simply located underground below the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Alden, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The good: the location was within walking distance from the theater district. The Paul Mitchell shampoo, conditioner and lotions were nice. I love having a kitchen area. The free breakfast brunch was well stocked and had a lot of variety.

The annoying: there is ONE entrance/exit to this place. However, the hotel sits on Euclid and Prospect. We wanted to eat at Hodges, which I could see from my window as our room was on Euclid, but we had to walk all the way back across the hotel to the entrance on Prospect then back through either inside the shops area or through an alley outside to get right where we were in the first place. I mean, come one, I get you don't want to man two doors, but a swipe entrance with a key would be very useful. I saw people get on and off an elevator by our room numerous times, because it wouldn't take you to the first floor.
There was only one garbage can and it was under the kitchen sink. You have three distinct rooms, 4 if you include the bathroom and only one garbage can.

The Bad: the beds were awful. As in if we had planned on spending two nights, I would've canceled the second night. My hips actually hurt when I woke up in the morning, and I am young, my hips don't hurt. I was awoken by some sort of bass around 6:30am and it lasted until about 8. That's when the people above woke up. I could hear their toilet flush, the shower going, what they listened to on tv. The paint was chipped all over the room, on the ceiling, on the windows, big huge pieces. The rooms felt old.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Dree L.,

First I would like to thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Cleveland Downtown. We really appreciate your feedback. I'm so happy to hear our location was convenient for your travels. Your kind words about the breakfast and kitchens are appreciated.

I would like to apologize that only having one entrance was an inconvenience for you. Our main concern is for the safety of our guests. Having an associate monitor the entrance rather than an electronic swipe is much more reliable for the security of the hotel. We certainly have and will still consider an alternative to just the one entrance.

I do apologize that you did not enjoy our beds. All of our beds are what Marriott requires to stay up to brand standards, and we do understand that everyone has different preferences for mattresses. If you wouldn't mind, please call us and let us know what room you stayed in. We always check on any complaints and make sure we take care of those as soon as we are aware of them.

We are a historic property, and we do love the character. We are very excited about an upcoming renovation, and hope you consider us on your next trip after those renovations are complete.

Think of us next time you are in town.

Kindly,

Been to Residence Inn Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!