“Quirky but a great value and great experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brownstone Inn Downtown

Brownstone Inn Downtown
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
Brownstone Inn Downtown
3649 Prospect Ave., Cleveland, OH 44115-2703   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Battle Ground, In
“Quirky but a great value and great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have stayed in several motels in the Cleveland area while visiting friends and enjoying this vastly underrated city. The Brownstone combines several attributes that make it our favorite so far. The price is very reasonable considering how close it is to downtown, and its easy drive to Little Italy, University Circle, and downtown. The owner (Robyn?) is a personable man with a wealth of knowledge of Cleveland history and local attractions. He also knows how to cook eggs.
While the positives far outweigh the negatives, one should know that there are several 'quirks' that might upset some. This is a one-man operation (more or less) so there is not always someone on site to cater to guests. The linens and towels are not changed every day, although I'm sure Robyn would accomodate any needs if asked. There are no televisions (except for one room) and the wifi is spotty (to be kind). As previous posters have noticed, the place does have a dusty, cluttered vibe but is in no way dirty - more like your eccentric great-aunt's house after she stopped dusting every day. Lastly, we must respectfully disagree with Robyn's opinion of Sokolowski's Inn. We love it, his opinion is quite different.
If you're going to be in Cleveland and want an affordable, unique, comfortable place to stay you probably won't do better than the Brownstone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lockport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was our 3rd stay at the Brownstone Inn and it most definitely will not be our last. My fiancé and I frequent Downtown Cleveland a few times a year and we have chosen to stay at the Brownstone Inn each time. We have made the Brownstone Inn our home away from home whenever we just need a lil getaway from the norm. Robyn is so very knowledgeable of the city he lives in that if we are ever up in the air about what were going to do that day, he always has plenty of suggestions when asked. We have never been without something to do. You can also tell in his conversations about Downtown Cleveland how much he loves the city and the diversity of its activities.
The breakfast is always nice and plenty of food to get your day started. There is always coffee, tea and juice in the morning. There is also wine available for an evening drink, if that’s your thing. We have always chosen a bedroom with a private bath. My experience in those rooms has always been warm and inviting with comfy beds and pillows. I have stayed at the Brownstone in the winter as well as in the summer. The temp of the rooms is always perfect for sleeping. These rooms do not have televisions, which is perfectly fine with me since my fiancé and I do not bother with TV at home anyways. Robyn also keeps everything fully stocked, so that in case I forget anything from home, I know it will not be an issue. Thank you Robyn for always making us feel at home. We will return again soon!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have lost count of the number of times I have stayed at the Brownstone Inn but every time it is just like coming home to my other home. All the way from New Zealand and I am exhausted by the time I arrive. Coffee is always ready...and good coffee.
Robin is his usual lovely self. Such a sweet man and so helpful. I can't begin to list the things he has done to help me out.
This time my mission was to purchase a car for my daughter and what do you know, Robin knew a great mechanic just around the corner who could check it out for me.
I consider I am so lucky to have this lovely place to stay. I have to add that I love the beds. I have stayed in lots of different rooms and the beds are so comfortable.
I was a little concerned this time as it was my first winter visit to Cleveland. There was snow the night I arrived. The house and my room were toasty warm.
If you are a woman travelling alone, this is a great place to stay. You feel very safe.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good but if you are fussy and need to have your own bathroom then you need...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cedar Grove, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Cleveland has riches. Robin Yates and his Brownstone Inn provide a unique and rich Cleveland history over breakfast with a nice mix of b&b like minded travelers.
Step back in history through the blue doors. There is nothing perfunctory. Cleveland history is alive and thriving through Robin's stories. 5 star hospitality .... Comfortable bed and pillows. We'll be back. Cleveland meets all our cultural, aesthetic and environmental proclivities.

• Stayed November 2013
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have stayed here multiple times and just yesterday booked our next stay for a trip to Cleveland in October. Everything is great about this fantastic historic landmark! Love the hospitality, the ambiance, the comfy beds and clean amenities- Robin makes a fantastic breakfast to boot! We always look forward to our Cleveland visits when we know we can stay at The Brownstone Inn!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dickerson, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful stay in late May 2013 during a first-time visit to Cleveland. The Brownstone Inn is charming, as is the innkeeper, Robin Yates. He is a wealth of information about the city, its history, all it has to offer, and is a true ambassador for Cleveland. Our trip was so enriched by his stories and suggestions about activities, restaurants, etc. We planned certain activities before setting out for Cleveland -- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Indians baseball, the art museum, West Side Market, etc., but were so glad we left some gaps in our plan and could take advantage of some of Robin's suggestions; e.g., the submarine tour, the zoo rainforest, the conservatory/greenhouse at Rockefeller Park, Sweet Moses ice cream (sensational, never had better). We plan a return visit for some of what we missed and to repeat some favorites, including the Inn. Cleveland -- who knew. :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I recently spent the weekend in Cleveland for the Jazzfest. I had seen an article for this B and B, and was able to reserve a room. Robin was extremely personable,and recommended different activities for this first time Cleveland visitor. He served a great breakfast, friendly guests. A historic B and B is not for everyone, but if you enjoy this sort of place; this one is excellent! I will return without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Brownstone Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!