“Be sure to know what you're getting” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Brownstone Inn Downtown

Brownstone Inn Downtown
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
Brownstone Inn Downtown
3649 Prospect Ave., Cleveland, OH 44115-2703   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Dayton OH
“Be sure to know what you're getting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at the Brownstone Inn this fall for a reasonable price along with another person. I knew it was a very old property, but I didn't realize that it also had very old furniture, some of which was very uncomfortable including the mattress in the front bedroom. It was a double, so sharing the bed proved challenging. There was dust in many locations especially on the mantle and other places that could easily be overlooked. Breakfast consisted of bacon, fried eggs, and either strawberries or asparagus. The asparagus was so oily I couldn't eat it.

The owner is a very nice person who tries to be helpful, but he manages the B&B by himself and uses a man to clean the rooms. He also manages several rentals, so he is very busy. If you are aware in advance of the situation you may encounter for a low price, you probably will enjoy the stay in Cleveland as the location is near downtown and the Cleveland Clinic. To his credit, he has had several write ups and won some awardsm but it didn't meet my expectations. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a front bedroom as the other rooms are quite small and may not have a private bath.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This B&B is comfortable, quiet, and feels more like staying with an uncle with good taste, versus some cold, sterile lodging. The host/owner provides a nice fresh breakfast, offers enthusiastic tips on enjoying your time in Cleveland (a city that he loves) and, if time allows, can prove to be quite the raconteur. Essentially downtown, it's a hop to all of Cleveland's museums, athletic facilities, etc. Despite the urban setting, we've never had our car bothered (over several years) and always feel quite safe staying there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jacksonville Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I decided not to stay at the Wyndham Playhouse Square Hotel, across the street from where my conference was being held, after reading the reviews on this site, opting to stay at the Brownstone Inn instead, which is conveniently located near downtown, the Theater District and the University, and was so glad I did. My stay could not have been more perfect and was full of lovely surprises. This is a beautiful place, wonderfully restored and furnished in what was clearly a labor of love for the innkeeper, and very comfortable. I've been staying in B & B's for 30 years but have never met a host more personable or helpful than Robin. It was like staying with a friend who knew Cleveland inside and out. He was there when I needed him and unobtrusive otherwise.He helped me to navigate the public transportation, recommending that I take the Rapid in from the airport when we first talked on the phone, but which I never would have considered otherwise, although it could not have been easier. Cleveland has great public transportation! The inn is just a block from the bus stop, very close to downtown, and as a single woman traveling alone, I felt safe at all times.
The room and bathroom were comfortable and clean, and I even had a little sitting room. The bed was supercomfortable with great linens. The breakfasts of bacon and eggs were delicious, and Robin made those even more special with his tasty additions. Muffins, fruit and juice are also available, and I have no doubt he would have cooked something up for me had I not wanted eggs;Robin even made me an early breakfast two days in a row to accomodate my earlier schedule without my even asking and even though I told him that was not necessary. Several papers are available for guests at the breakfast table.

Robin steered me in the right direction to see the the most worthwhile sights in the time I had available. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Cleveland Museum of Art are worth the trip alone, although there is so much more to see and do. He also dropped me off at my conference when time permitted, giving me an impromptu mini tour of downtown Cleveland the first morning when I had an extra 30 minutes. Robin has an impressive library of books on Cleveland history and a wealth of knowledge about Cleveland which he happily shared. He offered wine and interesting conversation in the evenings and even let me use the television in one of the empty rooms so I could watch the first Presidential debate. Excellent coffee is available super early for early birds, and Robin was also kind enough to let me use his computer to check my email. There is a common area with a refrigerator and microwave for guests to use. The bathroom was comfortably stocked with wonderful towels, hair dryer and toiletries.
I look forward to returning to Cleveland again very soon and staying here again when I have more time to explore Cleveland, including The Market. The Brownstone Inn and Robin definitely rock!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the Brownstone Inn for 5 nights and I had a pleasant stay. It is a lovely old building with nice authentic furniture inside.

Robin the owner is very nice and provides a lovely breakfast in the morning and makes sure you have everything you need. Downtown is a short 15 minute bus ride which is easy to use and the stop is very close to the B&B.

I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012
Christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

If you want a truly unique experience then you should stay at The Brownstone Bed and Breakfast.
Not sure where to start but the house is stunning; very old and traditionally furnished. You feel like royalty staying here.
The host, Robin, is one of the most helpful people I have met anywhere in the world and will certainly go the extra mile to help you out with anything you need. I was in Cleveland to find an apartment for my daughter and Robin took me around the town to show me the different areas; where to go and not to go etc. He went over and beyond what was required. He even took us to the West Side Market.
The atmosphere was very relaxed and you feel completely at home. Robin makes breakfast and asks what you would like. You can choose from cereal, fruit, granola etc or bacon and eggs. The best part is that the coffee is made when you come downstairs even if it is early.
The beds are super comfortable. You can choose a large room with an ensuite or a smaller room with a shared bathroom. We opted for a smaller room and we shared the bathroom between us. It was perfectly adequate. We didn't come to Cleveland to spend time in the room.
I was very grateful for that and for Robin's hospitality during our stay. Thanks Robin. You are the best!

Room Tip: Depends on your budget. This place is so reasonably priced if you can afford it, go for the big roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

This was our first trip to Cleveland, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so we didn't quite know what to expect. Though initially concerned about the neighborhood, any reservations we had were gone by day 2. Once we got our bearings, the location felt ideal. Robin is a great host, and obviously loves Cleveland. He was most helpful getting us where we wanted to go, and keeping us out of areas we shouldn't go. He is around when you need him. The inn itself is lovingly restored to a bygone era. Our room could use a bit of spicing up, but most rooms are brightly painted and furnished to compliment the age of the inn. Breakfast was served promptly, and we felt we could linger as long as we wanted. As another review mentioned, there are no TVs in the rooms, and the WiFi is a little weak on the second floor, but somehow we managed that disconnect and survived to write this review. Check this place out. You won't be disappointed. And add half a star to this review.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

My son and I decided to take a road trip to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Football Hall of Fame. Cleveland was the logical base for us to use, and the Brownstone Inn had good reviews. When I called Robin sounded very accommodating ...and then we arrived to a B&B and innkeeper who far exceeded our already high expectations.

The Brownstone Inn is charming, and Robin, the innkeeper has restored it beautifully. The common rooms are welcoming and well furnished with antiques that fit the rooms well, and all of the rooms have wallpapers that work well with the furnishings. The bedrooms were also well furnished, the beds were comfortable, and during December the down comforters were great! The house is immaculate. Not only is it restored, but Robin enjoys discussing the history of the house from its earliest days in its prime through its more difficult years.

Breakfast was very good and filling. Robin was very accommodating of our dietary restrictions.

One of the advantages of staying at this B&B is that Robin truly loves Cleveland. As a direct result of having stayed with Robin we visited several gems that we would not otherwise have planned to see. We left Cleveland having enjoyed the city.....which was an unexpected surprise. We left the Brownstone Inn very happy that we had chosen to stay there .

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Brownstone Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!